PDA

View Full Version : Moving Rugby Quote

Simon Griffiths
14-05-05, 21:05
People often say that I am an emotional person (in a 'loving'/'sad' way rather than an 'angry' way). But this moved me quite a bit. Let's hold onto this in rugby:

In our country, true teams rarely exist . . . social barriers and personal ambitions have reduced athletes to dissolute cliques or individuals thrown together for mutual profit . . . Yet these rugby players. with their muddied, cracked bodies, are struggling to hold onto a sense of humanity that we in America have lost and are unlikely to regain. The game may only be to move a ball forward on a dirt field, but the task can be accomplished with an unshackled joy and its memories will be a permanent delight. The women and men who play on that rugby field are more alive than too many of us will ever be. The foolish emptiness we think we perceive in their existence is only our own.
Victor Cahn (I presume an American)

robertti
15-05-05, 15:05
Simon are you seriously 17? That quote sounds like something I would read in a Professor's book on Sociology at Oxford University or something. It certainly does not sound something that the stereotypical young, rebellious teenager would think remember and be touched by. ;)
Btw as a teenager, what got you into refereeing? I'm about the same age as you (just turned 18) and it is extremely sad how not many people in their teens actually take up refereeing.

robertti
15-05-05, 15:05
I also see you are heading to Australia soon for your charity work. Which parts are you visiting?

Simon Griffiths
15-05-05, 17:05
Visited my web-site then! Glad someone's looking at it! :D

1) I think my 'emotional' side is genetic - as such the idea of rugby embodying (sp?) life and fun is quite touching - given that we're a part of it.

2) Started refereeing as a section of my Duke of Edinburgh Award that some of us in my school did. It comes under the 'skills' section and it appealed more than knitting or ironing?...

3) Not 100% sure where in Australia we'll be. They send a number of 'groups' and they all go to Sydney, but some also go to Melbourne and the others Queensland.