PDA

View Full Version : Lions v Taranaki

Simon Griffiths
04-06-05, 22:06
The next match on tour! Wednesday morning (I hope everyone plans a sicky!). Luckily my exams are in the afternoon - great planning by the boards!

I shall reserve my prediction judgement until the squad has been announced.

Personally don't think that O'Gara will play (too frail in defence and dropped extremely deep as I predicted - even for tactical kicking, it cut off the attacking options if a gap opened up). I did think that his tactical kicking was very good though.

Shanklin to get another run on the wing? Sheridan to start in the front row? All questions that will, I suspect, be answered Monday morning.

Have replaced the BoP thread with this as the sticky now that the BoP game has passed.

Simon Griffiths
05-06-05, 11:06
Well here it is! The Lions to line-up against Taranaki on Wednesday are:

15. Geordan Murphy
14. Shane Horgan
13. Will Greenwood
12. Ollie Smith
11. Denis Hickie
10. Charlie Hodgson
9. Chris Cusiter
1. Graham Rowntree
2. Andy Titterrell
3. John Hayes
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Danny Grewcock
6. Martin Corry (captain)
7. Lewis Moody
8. Michael Owen.

Replacements: Shane Byrne, Gethin Jenkins, Ben Kay, Martyn Williams, Gareth Cooper, Jonny Wilkinson, Gavin Henson

Much more of a second string line-up to Saturday's team. Not sure of the front row in particular.

I hope Owen puts in a better performance than in Cardiff, he was excellent through the Six Nations but was a bit off. Also Moody is at open-side, not his best position, hope he puts his body about as usual.

Watching the Wales match last night I'd like to see Charvis out there again, big guy but quick and hard working.

I don't think that the back-line will be any where near as incisive as on Saturday. With Lewsey and BO'D missing in particular, and Henson to a certain extent, a lot of the 'flair' has gone. I'm hoping for a big performance from Smith and Murphy - for my money the best full-back in the world (were it not for Lewsey's rich vein of form).

You still going to have to wait for my prediction though... it'll be close.

Robert Burns
05-06-05, 11:06
Lions by 18

Simon Griffiths
05-06-05, 15:06
OK then, neck on block time again:

Lions by 10

PeterTC
05-06-05, 15:06
Lions by 16.

robertti
06-06-05, 07:06
Ill be a bit more conservative than I was last time and say Lions by 24

Pablo
06-06-05, 11:06
Naki are weaker than BoP. Lions by 26.

didds
06-06-05, 11:06
Taranaki is my old province... but no time for emotion!

Lions by... 22

didds

Simon Thomas
06-06-05, 13:06
Lions by 22

SimonSmith
06-06-05, 13:06
Lions by 19.
That Cusiter/Hodgson link worries me

HANSON7379
06-06-05, 15:06
Lions by 9

Waynepipmad
07-06-05, 08:06
Taranaki by 3 :eek:

Phil
07-06-05, 13:06
Loins by 22

I am a bit worried with the lack of jocks on the team, are the press right on Sir Clive being Bias.

Bryan
07-06-05, 17:06
Lions by 17.

If you think the Lions have problems, you obviously didn't see the Wales-USA game on the weekend. Woeful, just woeful. Wayne Barnes is in Toronto this weekend as TJ for the Canada-Wales match.
-Bryan

SimonSmith
07-06-05, 17:06
Woeful? I take it you mean the USA?

Bryan
07-06-05, 18:06
Woeful? I take it you mean the USA?

Yes, the team that LOST by 74 points would be the woeful team. I'm not sure you could call winning by 74 points a "woeful" victory, though maybe the over-achievers would disagree.
-Bryan

Pablo
08-06-05, 10:06
Summary of predictions:

Rob Lions by 18
Noddy Lions by 10
Pete Lions by 16
Tim Lions by 24
Pablo Lions by 26
Didds Lions by 22
Simon T Lions by 22
Smiffy Lions by 19
Hanson Lions by 9
Wayne Naki by 3 :eek:
Phil Lions by 22
Bryan Lions by 17

Pablo
08-06-05, 10:06
Actual result: Lions win by 22 points (36-14)

giving points scores of:

Rob 4
Noddy 12
Pete 6
Tim 2
Pablo 4
Didds EXACT -5
Simon T EXACT -5
Smiffy 3
Hanson 13
Wayne :eek: 35
Phil EXACT -5
Bryan 5

SimonSmith
08-06-05, 12:06
Yes, the team that LOST by 74 points would be the woeful team. I'm not sure you could call winning by 74 points a "woeful" victory, though maybe the over-achievers would disagree.
-Bryan

There's maybe a different thread to start here.
I'm going to see the game later this week, but I think - at this stage - that woeful may be a little extreme.
I have no doubt that the USA played really badly against Wales - but it would be little like calling a College Football team woeful after they lose to the Dolphins - we just aren't comparing like with like.

Now, if England had lost by 74, that WOULD have been woeful (much as I would have smiled!)

Simon Griffiths
08-06-05, 22:06
Mr. Smith (are you anything to do with Angelina Jolie by any chance? :D ), how did the Cusiter/Hodgson link work for you? (About as well as my prediction I would suggest had you put money on it... ;) )

SimonSmith
09-06-05, 13:06
Mr. Smith (are you anything to do with Angelina Jolie by any chance? :D ), how did the Cusiter/Hodgson link work for you? (About as well as my prediction I would suggest had you put money on it... ;) )

Only in my dreams, but I'm not sure you're old enough for that yet!
I was pleasantly surprised, I have to admit!

So, had I put money on your prediction, I'd have been worse off than folowing mine.

Let's see where we are at the end of the tour!