PDA

View Full Version : Who's your money on for the Premiership this year?

Robert Burns
22-06-05, 01:06
Well? Poll of 10 choices, Bristol and Warriers left out

Simon Griffiths
22-06-05, 20:06
This year is going to be very, VERY close.

Leicester have lost a few key players, and perhaps more importantly John Wells?

Wasps might be affected by the departure of Gatland - a very key man to their success - still suspect them to do well though - perhaps they can win it without winning it for the third year in a row. ;)

Saracens could be a good outside bet, and I expect Bath to perform quite well. Northampton will not have another season like last - that's for sure!

Worcester, whilst having recruited well, have only really served to strengthen the squad with few 'big' signings - still, expect a top 10 finish (abouth 7th or 8th).

Even with Dean Ryan ( :eek: :mad: ) at the helm, I suspect Gloucester to improve on last season - a top three finish is a distinct possibility with Ludo and Collazo returning (points machine and quality scrummager), alongside the likes on Tindall, Simpson-Daniel and Henry Paul in the backs, plus a (hopefully) fit Vickery. Definitely worth a bet - but I am an eternal optimist (the only reason I tipped Gloucester in the poll).

So, in reality? Sale. (The Phillipe effect).

Robert Burns
22-06-05, 23:06
perhaps they can win it without winning it for the third year in a row. ;)

Fourth!

:D

Simon Griffiths
23-06-05, 00:06
That's what I meant ;) :

Gloucester (who finished 15 points clear at the top)
Bath
Leicester

:(

Pablo
23-06-05, 13:06
Blahblahblahblah... get over it! :p Everybody knew the system, but we played it the best. You can finish in the top three and win the Premiership - that's how it works. Blame the system all you like, but don't blame Wasps for using it to their advantage.

FWIW, I do think the system is flawed - I like the idea of the playoffs, because the day out at Twickenham is awesome fun, but the one/two week gap for the top team is a momentum-killer. Expand it to four teams with proper semis or have a RL style playoff:

1v2---------------------------->Winner
..|............................................... |
..|............................................... |------------->Champions
..|------------------->Loser............|
...................................|.............. |
3v6--->Winner...............|------->Winner
..............|v-------->Winner
4v5--->Winner

Anyway, back on topic...I reckon Wasps are signing strongly enough to remain contenders, Saints will bounce back from an awful season, Leicester will fade slightly and Sale will be the team to beat...

jamesc37
28-06-05, 22:06
it has got to be wasps :p

Robert Burns
04-07-05, 13:07
Allez allez allez!!!

Wasps Wasps Wasps!

Simon Thomas
04-07-05, 13:07
Sale - still more to come from these guys.

Robert Burns
04-07-05, 16:07
Always sounded like Ogi when I was there! lol

Pablo
04-07-05, 17:07
Always sounded like Ogi when I was there! lol

It isn't! At least, not if done properly. There are quite a few of the new fans since the move to Wycombe who haven't quite got this yet, but it's most definitely meant to be ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!

OB..
04-07-05, 20:07
At college it was always:-
V: Ogi! Ogi! Ogi!
R: Oy! Oy! Oy!
V: Ogi!
R: Oy!

... though nobody knew why.

(V, R = Versicle and Response)

Mike Whittaker
04-07-05, 20:07
Sale have to be in there with a good chance this year...

Whatever the result, however, you can gaurantee that with that squad they will be playing the most attractive rugby in the league...

Robert Burns
04-07-05, 21:07
At college it was always:-

... though nobody knew why.

(V, R = Versicle and Response)
I read thats actually a chant from the 16th century OB, see if I can find it again sometime