PDA

View Full Version : Injured player

Account Deleted
03-10-07, 18:10
A recent question on another site:

"During a game a Red player was receiving treatment on the pitch when a Black player received the ball and only had to run past the player being treated to score. As the Black player was about to run past the player being treated, the Red man got up and tackled the Black man and prevented a score. Is it legal?"

What do people think?

PeterH
03-10-07, 19:10
Provided he was onside - - which it sounds he was
I would have said OK - I would have assumed that the Red player would have seen him and avoided him

OB..
The referee was allowing play to continue, so he reckoned there was no danger. The Red player got to his feet before putting in a legitimate tackle. He was apparently not offside. I cannot see that he had done anything wrong. In law, anyway.

Dixie
Red is not offside. Red is not required to seek permission before rejoining the game. If there were no physio, Red could not be expected to stay down to allow Black to run past. The physio is no part of the game. Red is thus legal.

Black can see the man down; he should be aware that he could regain his feet and re-enter the fray. By running so close to him, he courts just such an action. Black is the architect of his own downfall.

In the spirit of equity, a ref could award a scrum to Black; but this panders to a gut feeling that Black is hard done by, rather than any real objection.

Account Deleted
04-10-07, 09:10
I feel that it is against the spirit of the Law. We had a similar case also where a player, again receiving treatment, got up made a tackle and then went back to the physio for further treatment..

It just "smells" wrong to me.

OB..
04-10-07, 12:10
I agree that if a player needs the attention of a physio, he should be considered hors de combat, but as the laws stand, that does not seem to be the case.

Even if the law were changed, what of the situation where a player has just finished receiving treatment? There were always going to be problems with allowing physios on the field while the game continued.

ex-lucy
04-10-07, 13:10
what if still lying down the black player reaches out an arm and tap tackles the red runner?

Davet
Would that be any different from a player on the floor after a tackle or a ruck tap tackling the opposition runner?

Mat 04
You all seem quick to condem then man for getting up and putting in a hit, what abourt the black player who decided to take advantage of an injury and run past him? unsportsmanlike perhaps?? Not really, but its food for thought. Anyhow, untill I have reason to believe otherwise, if a physio is on the field treating a player, then that player is injured and needs the attention, however, if the injured player sees one opposition player breaking away from the rest of his team to score and he gets up to try and defend, I take my hat off to him.

Account Deleted
04-10-07, 14:10
I agree that if a player needs the attention of a physio, he should be considered hors de combat, but as the laws stand, that does not seem to be the case.

Even if the law were changed, what of the situation where a player has just finished receiving treatment? There were always going to be problems with allowing physios on the field while the game continued.

Just write it into the Law that any player receiving treatment, on or off the field of play, cannot return to the "action" untill the next stoppage in play.

dave_clark
difficult to enforce, surely.

ex-lucy
Would that be any different from a player on the floor after a tackle or a ruck tap tackling the opposition runner?

yes. LotG say in tackle & ruck you cant do so, but ok in general play?
is this a case of general play?

Mat 04
05-10-07, 01:10
I cant find it in the laws, but I still dont think its legal to 'tap' someone while your on the floor, it doesnt look right. I am open to persuasion on this though :P

ex-lucy
05-10-07, 11:10
that's why i suggested it ... I cant find it in the laws either ... other than a general guideline recommending the game be played by players on their feet .. but i thought it was a general dictum that if you are just lazing on the ground you can still play the ball/ tackle an oppo, as long as you wernt past of last tackle/ rucky thingy.

PeterH
05-10-07, 12:10
I would ping any player not on his feet myself...

Man on his feet is king with me... even a tackler lying prostrate can make some effort to regain his feet and push for the tackle - a tap tackle from a prone player would likely be a quick shout of "advantage" I am afraid...

OB..
05-10-07, 13:10
Law 14 say "The game is to be played by players who are on their feet."

There is disagreement as to how far this is intended to go. I prefer the interpretaion that applies it across the board unless there is an exception in law eg player reaching out to score.

evilad
05-10-07, 16:10
If as the man in the middle, you think that the red player was bluffing his case, then ping him for a misconduct, and award a penalty try.Harsh i know, but unless the play acting "i'm hurt ref, give us the penalty" behaviour stops then players will act more like footballers. Surely we play this great game to avoid that kind of childish spoilt nonsense.

Mike Whittaker
06-10-07, 00:10
Reckon if a player is receiving treatment then he is out of the game.

He would not expect to be done for offside for example, and he can't have it both ways....

Penalty try!!

Gareth-Lee Smith
06-10-07, 01:10
Deleted because I was talking crap.

Mike Whittaker
06-10-07, 07:10
Deleted because I was talking crap.

Never mind, say it with confidence and the players will believe you :)

Gareth-Lee Smith
06-10-07, 17:10
In that case:

"Who the hell has been sitting on that ball?! Bring me a round Size 5 or I'm off!"

David J.
06-10-07, 18:10
Reckon if a player is receiving treatment then he is out of the game.

He would not expect to be done for offside for example, and he can't have it both ways....

Now there's an argument that might change my mind.