PDA

View Full Version : when does the penalty kick ends?

Gerwin
21-01-08, 12:01
In some games I've met different decisions over who throws in at the line out after a penalty kick. This occures when the ball does not find touch straight away, but bounces infield en then finds touch.
When reading law 19.1 e it is not very clear about this situation.
Thanks for helping out.

Gerwin

PaulDG
21-01-08, 13:01
The penalty kick ends with the kick.

If the ball goes to touch as a result of the kick then the kicking side gets the throw in.

So yes it can bounce and it's still the kicking side's throw in.

(Also, in case it comes up, it IS possible to call a mark from a clean catch of a penalty kick.)

cymrubach
In some games I've met different decisions over who throws in at the line out after a penalty kick. This occures when the ball does not find touch straight away, but bounces infield en then finds touch.
When reading law 19.1 e it is not very clear about this situation.
Thanks for helping out.

Gerwin

Gerwin, welcome to the forum, I hope you will find it informing and help you with your reffing.

As to the question, I can not think of any reason why after a penalty kick to touch the side taking the kick would not receive the put in even if it bounced in field first, that's all part of the penalty sanction. Only if the ball didn't reach touch would the opposition have possession.

AndyB
I have had occasions where the side awarded the penalty kick, tap and go, run 5 metres, then kick for touch and ask for the lineout.:)

Needless to say they were disappointed!

OB..
21-01-08, 15:01
Law 19.4 "[...]
Exception: When a team takes a penalty kick, and the ball is kicked into touch, the throw in is taken by a player of the team that took the penalty kick. This applies whether the ball was kicked directly or indirectly into touch."