PDA

View Full Version : ball live or dead?

Phil E
16-02-08, 10:02
I cant find this in the law book, although it must be in there somewhere?

A player kicks the ball at, or towards goal. With, or without the intention of scoring a goal.

The ball hits the posts and bounces back into the field of play. Under the following circumstances, is the ball live or dead?

A Penalty kick at goal
A Free kick *
A kick in general play
A conversion kick

* I know you cant score direct from a free kick, but what if he was obviously aiming towards touch and the wind blew it back towards goal?

OB..
16-02-08, 11:02
In the first three cases, play continues. At a conversion kick the ball is dead.

In 1993 Ian Hunter famously scored a try against France by follwing up a penalty attempt by Rob Andrew that rebounded off the post into his arms.

pacmunchkin
26-10-10, 16:10
A kick in general play
[/LIST]

I'd just like to follow up on this (I know it's an old thread, but didn't want to make a new one for no reason.

In a recent game, the ball was kicked out of hand and bounced along the ground, bouncing off the post bag. A defending player slid in and took the ball downing it over his own line. The ball would have travelled over the line had it not his the bag. Is this then a 5 meter scrum or a 22 drop out?

If the defencive player had stood up, placing a foot over the try line while the ball was still moving, would it have been the same outcome?

PaulDG
26-10-10, 16:10
In a recent game, the ball was kicked out of hand and bounced along the ground, bouncing off the post bag. A defending player slid in and took the ball downing it over his own line. The ball would have travelled over the line had it not his the bag. Is this then a 5 meter scrum or a 22 drop out?

Who took the ball in?

(From your description, it seems to me that the defender did so that's a 5 metre attacking scrum.)

If the defencive player had stood up, placing a foot over the try line while the ball was still moving, would it have been the same outcome?

If you mean that the defender was effectively in-goal when he caught the moving ball then that would mean the kicker was responsible for it going into in-goal and the decision would have been a 22 drop out.