PDA

View Full Version : Outside inteference

Andyr8603
17-02-08, 15:02
Interesting incident in my match yesterday (16/2). Blues attacking down the wing, near to where most spectators are stood, behind a rope I might add, Blue winger is flying, still likely to get caught by Green full-back. Blue winger makes a move to pass back, and, at the same time, a ball that a couple of kids had been playing with enters the field at waist height, it is promptly caught by another Blue player who starts to run with it, a couple of Green players have a double take and one of them tackles the Blue player who has just received the spurious ball, I immedaitely blow just as Blue winger, who has the real match ball, breaks the Full-backs tackle and is going to run on to score. I said 'scrum Blue', as it was an eventuality not covered by the law which required a stoppage and as Blue were attacking they had put-in. Blue winger not happy as he thinks that the ball coming on did not affect anything in relation to play. I said I though different, little if no dissent from any other player, just a polite question from Blue captain.

Gareth-Lee Smith
17-02-08, 16:02
I feel you made the equitable decision here, based on the facts you've presented.

From what you've descrived, two Green players have been taken off the task in hand by a stray ball. That's a material difference and required a stoppage. Scrum down and a blue put-in, quite right. The lack of dissent is indicative here.

OB..
17-02-08, 17:02
Reminds me of an incident several years ago at my club. The two pitches are side by side, with about 5 metres between them. As the ball was thrown into the scrum on the 1st XV pitch, a kick from the other pitch neatly entered from the other side. Both sides heeled a ball, and started to run with it. Great confusion, ending in roars of laughter ("Please mister, can we have our ball back?"), and re-scrum.

ctrainor
17-02-08, 21:02
correct decision Andy by the way you described it wether it was 4th XV or a cup final.

Dickie E
18-02-08, 02:02
I wonder what you would have done if the ball had been thrown in deliberately by either team or a spectator? :eek:

Andyr8603
18-02-08, 10:02
Thanks for your comments everybody. In terms of a spectator throwing a ball in deliberately I would stop and re-start as I first desribed, providing it had a material effect on the game, I would then collar a Home club official and ask for them to 'remove' (ask them) that spectator from the viewing area. If a another player did it, who was not a participant at the time, then I would award a Penalty, 15 in from where the spurious ball was thrown-in by the substitute, I dont think you can play advantage in these circumstances, I would then either YC or RC the Substitute, depending on whether I thought it was a deliberate act to try to achieve an unfair advantage or whether it was a careless act for which the player should have known better. I have no problem in defining a Substitue as a 'Player' so Law 10.4 (k) 'Acts contrary to good sportsmanship' should apply. On that note should the law writers be thinking of changing 'sportsMANship' to 'unsporting behaviour', given these Politically Correct times we live in?

didds
18-02-08, 20:02
I have no problem in defining a Substitue as a 'Player' so Law 10.4 (k) 'Acts contrary to good sportsmanship' should apply.

How do you view players playing on an adjacent pitch in another game?

How do you view players plaing on an adjacent pitch in another game that are the substitutes for the game you are in? And how do you know (at that juncture) whether the player on an adjacent pitch IS a sub for the match you are involved with?

didds

Andyr8603
18-02-08, 22:02
I dont, is the simple answer, but if it happened that I wished to speak to what appeared to be a 'player' involved in my game and he/she said, 'I am a sub for that game over there' I would then ask the official connected with the game I was refereeing to request that player to leave the playing enclosure for my game and, if it was a deliberate act, ask the official to provide his/her name to me after the game in order that I could report him/her. It becomes a more general problem with multiple pitch locations. I have known, many years ago, a player to sent-off in a game I was playing in, only then to go and play the last 30 mins of another game 2 pitches away. If that happened and I was aware of it I would just add that detail to my sending-off report, after all his club should be saying to him, 'look, just go and get changed, we will deal with you in due course' What say you?

Dixie
18-02-08, 23:02
I have known, many years ago, a player to sent-off in a game I was playing in, only then to go and play the last 30 mins of another game 2 pitches away. If that happened and I was aware of it I would just add that detail to my sending-off report, after all his club should be saying to him, 'look, just go and get changed, we will deal with you in due course' What say you? Just so

FlipFlop
19-02-08, 12:02
I have known, many years ago, a player to sent-off in a game I was playing in, only then to go and play the last 30 mins of another game 2 pitches away.

And I know a player to be sin-binned, and then go on as a sub on the pitch next door (they had rolling subs), score a try, and then go back on for his original team!

didds
19-02-08, 19:02
i actually sympathise with you all. How you are supposed to be aware of who is who with adjacent games occurring, which could involve different teams (but players known to each other anyway) I really have no idea.

My query was merely supposed to illustrate this point - that its easy to have nice trite concepts stashed away but the realities - especially at big clubs, or public playing fields that host differing sides (Student Wednesday afternoon digs leagues spring to mind!) - may be problematical.

didds