PDA

View Full Version : Opt for Posts

jboulet4648
12-09-05, 12:09
Penalty called. Red Team chooses to go for postts. Black Player non stop lip, Whistle for lip, move mark up ten.....since its a new penalty do you allow Red to go for a quick tap? Do they have to keep the origianl decision to go for points?

I think they do not have to go for posts since it is a new penalty, but am unsure of whether they should be allowed to go quick on it......I didn't in the match, I blew it up, and showed the new mark, made sure the defending side was back ten, and let them have a new set of options, and they chose to go for it....but my feeling is thinking about it, new penalty, new mark, if they want to go quick let them, teach the defending side a lesson abouit their chatter.

Any others?

Bryan
12-09-05, 14:09
I think there may be some confusion as to awarding a new penalty. Now, I remember my Law book stating something along the lines of not being able to take another quick penalty until the referee has made the mark for the subsequent penalty. It says nothing about requiring the offending team to get back 10m before the attacking team can take the new one. If thereís a slow prop intentionally taking his time to get back, Iíll still make a new mark quickly and let the attacking team get on with it. I have searched the online laws high and low for this but cannot find the regulation, so I hope Iím not imagining things.

With reference to Judahís post, I would allow the quick penalty to be taken, as a NEW penalty has been awarded. I would also allow it to be taken quickly. If the defending team have set themselves up in a position to defend an attempt-at-goal and one of their players is still infringing the laws, then itís that playerís fault IMHO. There is a part in the laws stating:

Law 21.5(b) If the kicker indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, the kicker must kick at goal. Once the kicker has made the intention clear, there can be no change of the intention. The referee may enquire of them kicker as to the intention.

However, this to me would only apply to one kick being awarded. In this case, Judah then awarded a subsequent kick 10m from the original mark.

That does bring up the question: If a penalty is awarded 5m from the opponentís goal line, and a team indicates the intention to kick at goal, if a subsequent penalty is awarded, it can only be awarded at the same location. Therefore, can the non-offending team now change their decision e.g. from attempt at goal to 5m scrum?

-Bryan

Robert Burns
12-09-05, 16:09
I would also expect that because the penalty cannot be moved forward the offending player should go in the bin.

didds
12-09-05, 21:09
That does bring up the question: If a penalty is awarded 5m from the opponentís goal line, and a team indicates the intention to kick at goal, if a subsequent penalty is awarded, it can only be awarded at the same location. Therefore, can the non-offending team now change their decision e.g. from attempt at goal to 5m scrum?

-Bryan

IMO you have already answered your own question.

didds

OB..
13-09-05, 00:09
The penalty section of Law 21.7 What the opposing team must do at a penalty kick says:

Penalty: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second penalty kick, 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the goal-line. Any player may take the kick. The kicker may change the type of kick and may choose to kick at goal. If the referee awards a second penalty kick, the second penalty kick is not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the penalty.

Personally I think that would also include taking the option to have a scrum.