PDA

View Full Version : Indicating line-out over

Chris Goldsmith
29-02-08, 14:02
Hi,

What is the best way to indicate the end of a line-out? I'm more concerned with when a maul forms on the line of touch and I need to keep the backlines on side.
I read in the forums on pre-game instructions that the number 10 should 'watch for the arm'. Can you please explain what this means?

Should I also yell 'line-out over' once the maul has moved beyond the line of touch.

thanks for your help

Chris

Account Deleted
Keep your arm high (bit like a try signal) untill the line out ends. No harm in a verbal communication as well mind.

Davet
I generally raise an arm (actually both arms) when the ball is caught by the line-out jumper. I only raise the arm if it's caught, so if it's tapped down then no arm.

If the ball leaves the line-out rapidly then the arms drop.

If a maul forms then the arms stay up and I call "Stay back".

Once the ball leaves the maul, or the maul moves beyond line of touch - or in 5 or out 15 - then the arms drop and I call "Play on"

Players are briefed that the arm will be up, and the backs should keep back 10 until its drops.

OB..
Davet - that is also exactly what I recommend. Eye contact with FH helps.

There are two trigger events: ball pulled down => arm up; line out ends => arm down. That should help it to become automatic.

Simon Thomas
29-02-08, 15:02
Arm up on caught ball only (some assessors like to see it up at all line-outs, but I run around in a circle if mine is) and dropped once ball or back foot of ensuing maul has crossed line of touch. No 'come-on signals' should be used.

I tend not to give a verbal command, except preventative warning re inside 10m encroachment for both defending AND attacking sides.

When I played as the attacking fly half I used to steal at least 3-4m regularly at line outs as few if any referees (London Society) ever checked attackers, only the defending side

Dixie
29-02-08, 15:02
Chris, comments so have have focused on the maul. While this is perhaps the most common scenario, you may also need to keep your arm up for a ruck. There's a common misconception that a "clean catch" is needed before the backs are required to remain back 10m. In fact, all that is necessary is for the ball to still be in the lineout. So (irrespective of whether the ball is on the deck, in the hand, caught cleanly or bobbled about) unless the ball is within the 5m channel, beyond the 15m line or behind the lineout jumpers, you raise your arm with palm outwards like a traffic cop telling oncoming traffic to wait; make eye contact with defending backs; glance over shoulders to attacking backs (as few of us ever do - spot on, Simon); and only put the arm down when the ball is out or the hindmost foot has moved beyond the line of touch. And then, for goodness' sake, make sure you either ping the backs who've ignored you, or else play advantage and speak to them at the next stoppage to reinforce your expectations.

Chris Goldsmith
29-02-08, 16:02
Hi Guys,

Thanks (as always) for the quick replies and great advice.

I now understand.

regards
Chris

beckett50
29-02-08, 18:02
Its also worth noting that at a shortened lineout you need to make a mental note of the person at scrum half. It is not unknown for 'non-participating' forwards to come running up as soon as the maul/ruck is formed rather than wait for the hand to come down.

I know that the ex FR players on this forum are too wise to ever have tried such a trick, but many of their bretheren do:D