PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Wales Yellow Cards

Emmet Murphy
09-03-08, 17:03
I didn't see the game yesterday as I was reffing but I saw the two YCs today and would be interested to hear what others would have done if those had occured in any of our matches - ie the trip by Williams & the knee-drop by Phillips: if it happened in your game would you have shown a YC each time or would your decision have been different?

If it had been in my game - the trip would have been a yellow, the knee-drop a red.

ex-lucy
09-03-08, 17:03
i would have admonished the knee drop ... IMHO, it looked inconsequential (as a prop, i would have been embarrassed by the fuss the prop made of it too, if i was hanging on to the ball like that, i would have taken anything given to me for cheating).... maybe I would have reversed the penalty .... but no YC/RC. The trip = YC.
I had an attempted trip today by a defender under his own posts (on a would be tackler). I believed the penalty under his own posts and a "silly, 7" with a point to him and my foot as sufficient punishment.

KML1
09-03-08, 18:03
Have to say (even as a Welshman) that the 2 yellows were good calls in my view. Think Barnsey would be pondering over the bald Irish prop shouldering into prone Welshman on floor could have been another yellow. In terms of deliberacy, that was just as bad as Williams trip. As he said at the time "it was gratuitous".

Dixie
10-03-08, 10:03
If it had been in my game - the trip would have been a yellow, the knee-drop a red. I haven't yet seen the game so can't comment on the particulars, but I've always been impressed by the thinking of those who advocate working down from a red. We were given a (very) official perspective on the sanctions for trips in the RWC, when Vickery's antics gained him a ban. His trip was not particularly evil - some even felt it might have been a reflex reaction to being wrong-footed - but still warranted a ban when cited: indicating that red was apt.

Greg Collins
10-03-08, 11:03
Have to say (even as a Welshman) that the 2 yellows were good calls in my view. Think Barnsey would be pondering over the bald Irish prop shouldering into prone Welshman on floor could have been another yellow. In terms of deliberacy, that was just as bad as Williams trip. As he said at the time "it was gratuitous".

What KLM1 says....

...thought it odd baldy stayed on and was shouting "that's a yellow" at the telly