PDA

View Full Version : offsides at charge down?

David J.
14-03-08, 16:03
I was captaining a team in a match last week. The scheduled ref didn't show up so we had an experienced, but retired, player run the whistle. It was an eye-opener in the least in how a player (myself) can take advantage of bad positioning by the referee.

Anyway, Red had possession but was under pressure in their 22. Red 9 kicks, but it is charged down by Blue 8. Ball rolls forward to Blue 3 who was in front of Blue 8. Blue 3 plays the ball and gallops in for a try.

A couple of the more knowledgeable players start haranguing the ref, saying the Blue 3 was offsides. Then they turn to me and ask wasn't that the wrong call. I said I wasn't sure, in part because I'm not going to contradict a call of a ref on the field in front of everyone, but also because I wasn't 100% sure.

Should Blue 3 have been penalized for being offsides?

truck'n'trailor
14-03-08, 17:03
No. Ref was correct.

chopper15
No. Ref was correct.

How come?

PS. look at my Rep Power rating and Points tally! And all ' cause Hookah accused me of kicking puppies!

Can you help please? I thought I would ask afew fair minded threaders in the hope they would back me1

dave_clark
Should Blue 3 have been penalized for being offsides?

yes. the charge down put the red players onside. blue 3 was in front of blue 8, and was therefore offside and liable to be penalised. if the ball bounced into his arms (i.e. the ball played him rather than he played the ball) you could make a case for a scrum to red.

AndyKidd
Ref was incorrect blue 3 was offside as blue 8 deliberately played the ball. (A charge down is a deliberate action) So the correct call should have been penalty against blue 3 for offside.

If you search through the threads we have discussed this before.

SimonSmith
14-03-08, 20:03
No. Ref was correct.

You want to think about that again?!

Dixie
14-03-08, 20:03
'Nuff said. Bad luck, T'n'T, partcularly as Chopper was the first to put you right! I gave him some rep for that.

Mat 04
15-03-08, 20:03
'Nuff said. Bad luck, T'n'T, partcularly as Chopper was the first to put you right! I gave him some rep for that.

LAUGH OUT LOUD.....

truck'n'trailor
15-03-08, 21:03
Sorry guys typo. What I actually meant to say was 'yes, ref was entirely wrong and should have been beaten to death by the players and coaches using nothing more than dried fruit and handbags'...

In my defence, I have been marked down no less than twice by assessors on exactly this question when applying the commonly held view above...Assesors - root of all evil (apart from you OB, obviously)...

Simon Thomas
15-03-08, 23:03
I would hope a Hampshire Assessor would not mark you down for penalising him for offside, or at every least benefot of doubt at lower level accidentally offside perhaps.

Mention it to your Society SADO, or DB who is Ref Dept Laws Rep.

Mat 04
15-03-08, 23:03
I would hope a Hampshire Assessor would not mark you down for penalising him for offside, or at every least benefot of doubt at lower level accidentally offside perhaps.

Mention it to your Society SADO, or DB who is Ref Dept Laws Rep.

What does that stand for? Someone has a sense of humour :)

KML1
16-03-08, 10:03
Society Advisor Deveopment Officer, although SADO is normally more accurate! :wink:

Simon Thomas
16-03-08, 13:03
The SADO reports to the FADO who in turn reports to the RADO - is it any wonder the RFU is in the mess it is !