PDA

View Full Version : My on eand only TMO usage !

Simon Thomas
17-03-08, 13:03
I had a great match at noon last Saturday - Southampton University Medical Students v The Doctors (the Old Boys). Open, fast, good standard of play (level 8 ish) and a quite large crowd. A 'friendly' that reminded me of how things used to be before we had Leagues.

Such matches can have a spread of management challenges from the funny to the niggle, and a need to balance a firm hand at times with letting it flow. It seems I got it about right as all enjoyed themselves in a close match (30-27 to Old Boys), that was full on physically.

One incident was a first for me - students wing dives over in corner with doctors fullback and wing both tackling him, flag pole and players go everywhere. I am 15 yards behind (attack started on half way line !) and in-field so couldn't see the ball grounded through the bodies and had doubts if ball was grounded before student wing's leg hits corner flag.

I am about to award touch in goal and so 22 m drop out when student skipper points at spectator 10m away with video-cam. Doctors' skipper consulted and surprisingly agrees we should have a look, so I do Time Off sign and TMO square (for one and only time in my ref's career I suspect), call water on for the teams and the three of us watch play-backs a few times.

We all agreed that defender's leg hit corner flag not attacker's, and so there was no touch/touch-in-goal issues. Then it became clear that fullback's smother tackle had got his arms and hands under ball and so no grounding took place. But impossible to see from where I was following in, and we needed freeze frame to be sure anyway.

So off we went to 5m attacking scrum, no 8 pickup and drive, quick ball and scrum half dived over for try.

AndyKidd
17-03-08, 14:03
Anyone spot the deliberate mistake from our illustrious leader (Here in Hampshire):D

Really do need to get a tongue in cheek sort of smiley. I want to say something that is meant to be non serious and there just for the fun of it, but fear it will be misinterpreted.

But to give you a clue

6 A 7 h

Simon Thomas
17-03-08, 15:03
Hee Hee Andy - good spot !

Jacko
17-03-08, 16:03
What?!?

SimonSmith
The cameraman wasn't appointed.

But Andy - SimonT didn't consult another person. He availed himself of technology and reached his own conclusion. No problems then!

AndyKidd
The cameraman wasn't appointed.

But Andy - SimonT didn't consult another person. He availed himself of technology and reached his own conclusion. No problems then!

OK then ......

The Camera wasn't an appointed camera ...... with an IRB certified logo on it :wink:

PaulDG
17-03-08, 17:03
The Camera wasn't an appointed camera ...... with an IRB certified logo on it :wink:

I suppose ultimately the "real" issue here is one of equity.

Is it likely that spectator would have been attempting to cover in-goal activities at the other end of the pitch or was he more likely to have got bored and wandered off to the bar (or his battery would have run out, tape full, etc.)?

If the answer is "no", then in equity, taking that evidence into account is not in the spirit of the game.

If it was the full "match video" though (which they do at L4 and above, is that right?) then I'd have thought consulting it would be, in principle, OK. Even if it's not OK in actual Law.

SimonSmith
17-03-08, 17:03
If the answer is "no", then in equity, taking that evidence into account is not in the spirit of the game.

"Friendly"; both skippers are happy with it.
Simon got to use the signal!

What's the issue?!

Simon Griffiths
17-03-08, 19:03
What he said.

Robert Burns
18-03-08, 00:03
I third that!

Simon Thomas
18-03-08, 01:03
I suppose ultimately the "real" issue here is one of equity.

Is it likely that spectator would have been attempting to cover in-goal activities at the other end of the pitch or was he more likely to have got bored and wandered off to the bar (or his battery would have run out, tape full, etc.)?

If it was the full "match video" though (which they do at L4 and above, is that right?) then I'd have thought consulting it would be, in principle, OK. Even if it's not OK in actual Law.

It was a fun friendly match, played annually for 25 years for a nice siolver trophy, between undergraduate medical students and the medical schools alumni.
The cameraman was the Dean of the Medical Faculty, both skippers thought it great we did a TMO moment, players needed a rest and the right decision was made.

Equity is no longer in vogue and has been changed to Enjoyment by the RFU - so definitely delivered that and so very much in spirit of the Game.

AndyKidd
18-03-08, 09:03
Geez ....... Don't you lot get tongue in cheek or what .........

I thought the comment about it being an IRB certified camera would have given it away ......

Dickie E
18-03-08, 10:03
Geez ....... Don't you lot get tongue in cheek or what .........

I thought the comment about it being an IRB certified camera would have given it away ......

AK, I'm keeping up with you. If we still had "approve" rights I'd give you a big tick :D

Simon Thomas
18-03-08, 10:03
He got a personal one of those when we giggled about the 'serious' reply posts at last night's Society meeting.