PDA

View Full Version : Opposite Thrower must be 2m away from his team mates

Robert Burns
18-03-08, 04:03
While I was at my L2 Referee course this was another item that was briefed as being a new change this season.

The opposition thrower must not stand within 2m of the person at No. 1 in the lineout. (My definition, have not found it in publication yet).

Has anyone else heard about/come accross this change? Basically it is stopping the opposite hooker from being in a position to support No. 1 in the linout.

I have no problems with it being part of the game or not, but I have not come accross anyone else that is aware of it.

Anyone here?

Robert Burns
18-03-08, 04:03
Ok, Found it in print:

http://www.rugby.com.au/verve/_resources/GMD_for_2008.pdf

And it's the Oppo thrower & Receiver must be a VISABLE distance from the line out (2 metres is an example given not the requirement).

Simon Thomas
18-03-08, 09:03
Nice clear concise comprehensive document that is used in Australia as match management guidelines, the layer we use on top of the LoG.

We have similar documents used by National Panel and Groups in England, but nothing as clear as this at Society 'community' level consistently across the whole country.

I will send a copy to PTB ('Powers That Be')

Dixie
18-03-08, 12:03
Nice document - though it still fudges a number of issues (see in particular boots on bodies in the ruck, which implies that the backwards application of a stud to a player is acceptable without actually saying it). On lineouts, two poins struck me;

Players not forming a lineout when the opposition are at the line-of-touch are voluntarily not forming a lineout and render themselves liable to penalty. I like this, though I suspect the penalty is actually a Free Kick under 19.7(d).

The throw must be straight, irrespective of whether there is a contest. This has the advantage of consistency and avoiding howls from the spectator, but does not seem to affect the game.

OB..
18-03-08, 12:03
I was aware of the requirement for the receiver to be a visible distance away, but had not heard of that being applied to the alternative thrower as well.

SARU are supposedly trialling ALL the ELVs, and their version applies the two metres to the receiver only:

SARU ELV 19.5
(e) The receiver must stand. The receiver must stand at least two metres towards that playerís goal line from that playerís team-mates who are lineout players and between five and fifteen metres from the touchline
Penalty: Free Kick on the 15 metre line

(f) Player between touch and five metres. The team not throwing in may have a player standing between the touchline and the 5-metre line on that teamís side of the line of touch when the lineout is formed.

ianh5979
16-08-08, 23:08
Watching the South Africa vs New Zealand game today, on almost all the New Zealand lineouts the South Africa hooker was stood just inside the 5 m line in a lifting position with the jumper at number 1 in the line. I thought the ELV made this illegal but it was not penalised once.

ExHookah
17-08-08, 01:08
Watching the South Africa vs New Zealand game today, on almost all the New Zealand lineouts the South Africa hooker was stood just inside the 5 m line in a lifting position with the jumper at number 1 in the line. I thought the ELV made this illegal but it was not penalised once.

Don't forget that the Tri-Nations tournament is not being played under the global ELV's.

chopper15
17-08-08, 09:08

In last evening's friendly between Cornish Pirates (Div1) v Redruth (Div2) from the outset ref. Nick Williams didn't have any trouble with the 'lines out attendees'. On the other's throw the SH just stood in the trams!

I'm wondering could this be the norm? (Quick access to opponents from the front of LO?)

It was also interesting to read a precis of the ELVs in the prog.

The first receiver fom a lineout (usually the SH) must stand at least (my bold) two metres away from the lineout.

Pirates won 34 to 8, thanks to their wings Welsh 7s Int. McAtee and Tongan Int. Havili. Reds did however, match them fwd, their better drilled pack getting a few turnovers . . . but I am a Chopper!

Dixie
17-08-08, 20:08
In last evening's friendly between Cornish Pirates (Div1) v Redruth (Div2) from the outset ref. Nick Williams didn't have any trouble with the 'lines out attendees'. On the other's throw the SH just stood in the trams!

I'm wondering could this be the norm? (Quick access to opponents from the front of LO?)I think it will be the norm.

ddjamo
what is "trams"?

Dixie
the "tramlines" - the area bounded by the touchline on one side and the 5m line on the other.

KML1
17-08-08, 22:08
I think it will be the norm.

From what I saw yesterday, I entirely agree. Makes sense. You can have the hooker in the line lifting (like he used to from the channel) and have the SH doing what he needs to do when ball is secured.