PDA

View Full Version : Line out under ELV

lawsons
09-05-08, 16:05
Hello all,

So eagerly awaiting the start of the new season so i can run around at twice the normal speed and lose a bit more weight, but have a query on the new lineout at grassroot level. On the basis that without stands - and more often than not any supporters ! - most balls are available as quick lineout ball to the defending team - will not the process become that they do not form a line out (by putting two people into the line) with any urgency, but do congregate as a pack a few yards behind. Unless the attacking team cover almost every on the pitch - including the centres - the defenders will always be able to throw the ball to someone who is unmarked so to speak. This is what I saw in the Super 14 when the guy threw it direct to the centre whilst the attacking team were waiting with two guys in the lineout.

Any ideas on timeliness of forming a lineout - if the front rows walk to position but the backrows run to get an advantageous receipt is this acceptable. Is it the end of the lineout ?

Will it mean that supporters will have an important role now in intercepting the ball to stop quick lineouts ?

Toby Warren
09-05-08, 16:05
I would suggest that the non receiving team will send players beyond the line of the line out to distrupt the chances of a quick throw

lawsons
09-05-08, 17:05
yes I think that is what happens from the plays I've seen but they can't cover everyone - can they stand waiting next to the flyhalf or fullback for instance - if the defending team can decided when to start the lineout (without being blatent), the attacking team just won't have enough people to cover everyone. There will always be someone open to pass the ball to even if he gets tackled quite quickly - it will no longer be a contest for the ball, merely a restart, defending team in possession. Or so I anticipate !

PaulDG
09-05-08, 18:05
Field the ball for the opposition. Then the quick throw can't be taken.

Simon Thomas
09-05-08, 18:05
Adopt my oflold way of doing it - up hill and against the wind, cut down the distance you go for and get it as far into touch and way from the line as you can (best stuck up a fir tree - Trojans or Romsey were good for that).

This could reduce the time you actually play in the adverse half by 5-10 minutes. Oh and have a few good injury breaks, lost contact lens, etc.
When oppo have the adverse conditions, get replacements well back to return kicked balls, have spare ready to replace tree stuck ones etc.

Slightly off-thread as you can't do quickies with new ball or touched ball, but you see the concept hopefully.

beckett50
09-05-08, 22:05
Make sure you kick toward the side that has your replacement running touch so that he can touch the ball thereby making it dead and preventing the quickie;)

Simon Thomas
09-05-08, 22:05
Or various travelling alikadoos if away ! At home was standard practice.

Dickie E
09-05-08, 23:05
Hello all,

So eagerly awaiting the start of the new season so i can run around at twice the normal speed and lose a bit more weight, but have a query on the new lineout at grassroot level. On the basis that without stands - and more often than not any supporters ! - most balls are available as quick lineout ball to the defending team - will not the process become that they do not form a line out (by putting two people into the line) with any urgency, but do congregate as a pack a few yards behind. Unless the attacking team cover almost every on the pitch - including the centres - the defenders will always be able to throw the ball to someone who is unmarked so to speak. This is what I saw in the Super 14 when the guy threw it direct to the centre whilst the attacking team were waiting with two guys in the lineout.

Any ideas on timeliness of forming a lineout - if the front rows walk to position but the backrows run to get an advantageous receipt is this acceptable. Is it the end of the lineout ?

Will it mean that supporters will have an important role now in intercepting the ball to stop quick lineouts ?

This can (& does) happen now pre-ELV.

I would want the quick throw to be pretty close to immediate (the word 'quick' is relevant!). If the thrower starts weighing up his options like a basketballer I'll disallow it and go for the lineout.

OB..
10-05-08, 00:05
Curiously, although the law talks of a quick throw in, there is nothing to specify that it must be quick, and so no indication as to how quick.

It would seem that "quick" simply means not waiting for a lineout to form.

PaulDG
10-05-08, 08:05
Curiously, although the law talks of a quick throw in, there is nothing to specify that it must be quick, and so no indication as to how quick.

It would seem that "quick" simply means not waiting for a lineout to form.

That's exactly what it means. The ability to take on lasts until any of the conditions that forbid it occur.

Dixie
10-05-08, 09:05
I posted a similar thread earlier (http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5192). Most refs thought they would "manage" the situation to try to avoid too blatant an advantage to the throwing side caused by them not forming up, but that seems to me to be contrary to the intention of the ELV, and like herding cats. At my level, props get to linouts in their own sweet time - and hookers too. I fully expect far fewer formed lines, which means the lighthouse #4 or #5 can go and play basketball.