PDA

View Full Version : Drop kick/place kick at kick off

Simonsky
23-05-08, 09:05
I thought there was no ambiguity here but contrast these quotes:

1) from Derek Robo: ' The game starts and restarts, after half time, with a drop kick...' on the following page of my edition(p.152) it says 'place kick'

2). In RFU Ref's Manual (p.81) it says ' a kick off occurs at the beginning of each half (when it must be a place kick)...'

I thought place kick kick offs were part of the 'good old days' and now we have drop kick starts. Why the apparent confusion?

beckett50
23-05-08, 09:05
Probably coz what you're reading was origianlly printed before the Law change, and hasn't been updated in any subsequent re-prints.

chopper15
23-05-08, 10:05
Probably coz what you're reading was origianlly printed before the Law change, and hasn't been updated in any subsequent re-prints.

To summarise, so's I can inform my fellow terrace refs;

(i) KICK-OFF: Taken with a drop kick on half-way at the start of each half?

(ii) RESTART: Taken with a drop kick on half-way after a score (try and/or kick) ?

(iii) DROP OUT: Taken with a drop kick on 22m after dead ball signalled ?

NOTE: All these kicks will be taken by a drop kick NOT a place kick, punt or grubber!

PS And (iv) with reference to Beck's comment on IRB updates. How on earth are they allowed to get away with such indifference?

beckett50
Yes:clap: :clap:

PaulDG
To summarise, so's I can inform my fellow terrace refs;

And, FWIW, those are the only times a team must kick. At all other "kicks" the team has a scrum option.

(That's why the Laws governing the receivers options - "Mark" and "Maul" are different for kick offs, restarts & drop outs.)

Rawling
23-05-08, 11:05
And, FWIW, those are the only times a team must kick. At all other "kicks" the team has a scrum option.

(That's why the Laws governing the receivers options - "Mark" and "Maul" are different for kick offs, restarts & drop outs.)

If a player catches the ball direct from an opponent’s kick, except from a kick off or a drop out...
The Maul exception applies to kickoffs and drop-outs - not any other restart kick, apparently.

A mark cannot be made from a kick off, or a restart kick except for a drop out.
The Mark exception applies to kickoff and restarts - specifically not drop outs.

Lovely thing, consistency.

OB..
23-05-08, 12:05
The Maul exception applies to kickoffs and drop-outs - not any other restart kick, apparently.

The Mark exception applies to kickoff and restarts - specifically not drop outs.

Lovely thing, consistency.
Another good example!

Since Law 13 itself does not cover restart kicks properly, despite having taken the trouble to distinguish them from kick-offs, I think all referees assume the maul restriction is meant to apply to restart kicks as well.

Dixie
23-05-08, 21:05
NOTE: All these kicks will be taken by a drop kick NOT a place kick, punt or grubber! Except in some continuum games, and quite a few womens games where the co-ordination required for a drop-kick may be lacking, and no purpose is served by pulling back a punt that has gone 10m.

Deeps
23-05-08, 21:05
Except in some continuum games, and quite a few womens games where the co-ordination required for a drop-kick may be lacking, and no purpose is served by pulling back a punt that has gone 10m.

That's game management where judicious use of the referee's well known poor eyesight can be brought to bear.

tim White
26-05-08, 09:05
my eyesight is considered SELECTIVE. If I had been looking in that particular direction at that particular time, I would have seen it perfectly. But if I don't see infringements.....

chopper15
26-05-08, 10:05
my eyesight is considered SELECTIVE. If I had been looking in that particular direction at that particular time, I would have seen it perfectly. But if I don't see infringements.....

And if it was drawn to your attention by the opposition, or, dare I say it, a mischeivous TJ, tim?

Aren't you depriving the opp. of an option? Yes, I know , I should've looked it up before asking an irrelevent ques. . . . perhaps!

Dixie
26-05-08, 10:05
Chopper, you are in theory depriving the oppo of an option. But if one side can DK and the other can't, it's usually the case that the more skilful side will wipe the floor with the oppo anyway, playing rugby - rather than a succession of tedious scrums. Sometimes, we refs have to work really hard to get a decent game played ...