PDA

View Full Version : US Impressive Matches Anyone?

jboulet4648
06-10-05, 20:10
Curious as to whether anybody has seen any truly impressive matches and/or teams in the US this fall season.

I reffed US Coast Guard Academy, a perennial visitor to the COllege D2 Great 8, against the University of Rhode Island last week. The skill level for D2 College was comparable to that of a good D2 mens club team, the game was extremely fast paced and hard hitting. It was one of those matches where you hate to see a loser. URI won the upset 18-10. One of the best matches I have been involved in this season, and thats after having done a few D1 mens club matches.

ExHookah
06-10-05, 23:10
I challenge anyone to find a match of the standard of my first match this weekend - Mt Holyoke College Women vs Framingham State University Women.

jboulet4648
06-10-05, 23:10
The over under for scrums in that match is 43.....
I will take the over if you play a full 80 minutes!

ExHookah
07-10-05, 02:10

Well it's going to rain as well, so I think the over is a sensible bet.

I'll report back later on the weekend with an exciting report from "Knockon-athon 2005".

SimonSmith
07-10-05, 13:10

Does that include resets?

ExHookah
07-10-05, 15:10
Does that include resets?

The word from Las Vegas is that if the reset is due to the girls losing their footing in the mud it doesn't count.

SimonSmith
43?
I'm going over.

ExHookah
43?
I'm going over.

I'm going to need a clicker. I think the girls might get pissed with me if I am making a tally on my scorecard!

SimonSmith
07-10-05, 16:10
Probably run out of score card.....

ExHookah
07-10-05, 17:10
Probably run out of score card.....

Going to need a waterproof scorecard tomorrow I think!

Thankfully the fine people at adidas, kooga and under armor have ensured that I have a full set of synthetic material kit, all of which resists the soaking effects of rain and sweat. Can't imagine wearing an older cotton shirt out there anymore.

ExHookah
09-10-05, 16:10
Final Score 41-13 to Hartford Wild Roses.

Scrums - 36

jboulet4648
09-10-05, 20:10
Brown women vs Radcliffe women.....so many scrums, I lost what remained of my voice saying Crouch and Hold....Engage.....

ExHookah
09-10-05, 20:10
Did you get soaked through to the bone as well? I had one of those matches where I had to blow up to end rucks faster than normal to avoid players drowning in standing water. Also had to move scrums as more and more of the pitch got shredded.

jboulet4648
09-10-05, 21:10
The rain actually held off, and kept itself to a very sporadic sprinkle

SimonSmith
10-10-05, 14:10
My pre match brief in Norfolk did contain the phrase that I wasn't wanting to be in any news articles with the headline "rugby player drowns in freak accident...."

The rain was so bad, visibility was down to 30 meters at some points.

Two questions:
One - in dreadful conditions, do we give the players more or less latitude for falling to the ground?
Two - big pool of water in in-goal. Ball lies in the puddle; player goes sliding by the ball, and presses downwards on the ball. However, because of the depth of the water, it's impossible to tell if the ball actually met the ground. Decision?

jboulet4648
10-10-05, 17:10
Two questions:
One - in dreadful conditions, do we give the players more or less latitude for falling to the ground?
I don't think we should give them more latitude, they are still responsible for keeping their feet, but we should as referees judge what is intentional and what is field conditions. If the field is so bad that keeping feet at every ruck is an impossibility, it is the referees duty for safety concerns to consider halting the match due to poor field conditions.

Two - big pool of water in in-goal. Ball lies in the puddle; player goes sliding by the ball, and presses downwards on the ball. However, because of the depth of the water, it's impossible to tell if the ball actually met the ground. Decision?
Water is on the ground, touching ball with any downward force into the water , I would call this a downward pressure on ball.....
In pregame, tell teams this is how you are going to call it...they prob will not disagree

SimonSmith
10-10-05, 18:10
Problem only came up DURING the game - in goal was solid when we started!

jboulet4648
10-10-05, 20:10
If there is that much standing water, touching down into water I think should work same as the ground.....

ExHookah
10-10-05, 21:10
If there is that much standing water, touching down into water I think should work same as the ground.....

At that point do you give them the 5 points for the try, and then judge them for difficulty of the dive, and deduct points if their entry to the water causes too much of a splash? ;)

With lots of standing water I have seen smart players dive early to use the slippery surface to slide in and avoid last ditch tackles.

jboulet4648
10-10-05, 22:10
Thats fine if you are scoring, I never liked this method of diving, you end up really dirty.....you wonder why I ref now!

I think Simon was asking if the ball is just lying, or floating there, and someone touches it down....I think in this case you give benefit of doubt to team touching ball down.

On a side note, Brown Flyhalf kicks the ball on Saturday and there is a nice peice of mud on her shoe that found its way to my face! Is that a Penalty? :rolleyes:

Deeps
10-10-05, 23:10
I think Simon was asking if the ball is just lying, or floating there...

Experience should indicate whether the ball is floating or technically aground. You can judge this by seeing whether the ball is bobbling on the surface in the prevailing wind, in which case it is floating and probably being propelled across the pool. Or if stationary in a wind of force 3 and above, not bobbling and not being propelled by the wind force then clearly it is probably hard aground to all intents and purposes. This should be quite clear; for rain of such strength, presumably torrential in this case, that could cause the pitch to flood so rapidly would undoubtedly generate a wind speed of at least Force 3.

So, a downward force on a non bobbling ball could probably be judged as sufficient to warrant the award of either a try or a touchdown as appropriate. Yet for the bobbler, the process is not quite so easy and one would have to make an assessment of the amount of water displacement achieved by the downward pressure on the ball by measurement at the side of the pool.

Of course, if the ball disappears completely in the act of being subject to downward pressure then, I am afraid, you are on your own unless your touch judge has brought his Scuba gear with him!

ExHookah
10-10-05, 23:10
the amount of water displacement

Now we're getting to the good stuff!

Of course, if the ball disappears completely in the act of being subject to downward pressure then, I am afraid, you are on your own unless your touch judge has brought his Scuba gear with him!

:D :D :D :D

jboulet4648
11-10-05, 01:10
one would have to make an assessment of the amount of water displacement achieved by the downward pressure on the ball by measurement at the side of the pool.

Based upon the polarity of the H2O Molecule and the hydrogen bonding which occurs between adjacent water molecules, all resulting in the cohesiveness of "water" , is it fair to require a stronger downward pressure to break this surface tension then using the same amount of downward pressure if the water was not there?

Deeps
11-10-05, 10:10
Exactly. Why is a mouse when it spins?

SimonSmith
11-10-05, 13:10
Water displacement?
I thought this was a referees forum....<wanders off, looking for the right place.>