PDA

View Full Version : new conversion law idea...

didds
16-10-05, 21:10
Seen today at a U14 game... the referee insisting that all conversions be taken OUTSIDE of the 22... e.g. conversion dead in front of the posts cannot be taken (say) 12 m out...

any iodeas where THAT one came from?

(purely for a bit of fun!)

didds

Mat 04
16-10-05, 21:10
dont see any point lol......

Simon Griffiths
16-10-05, 22:10
I wouldn't mind a Law similar to 7s - drop goals for conversions, this is for two reasons:

i/ It saves a lot of time - much quicker than waiting for a tee, then setting it up, then pacing the run-up and so on and so on!

ii/ I'm a lot better at drop-goals than place-kicks so I'd be in for a kicking berth!

As for the original idea, one has to wonder WHY!? Well, I suppose it means the ball ends up closer to the pitch (as it's been kicked further) and the kicker is back in position faster - what the hell am I doing, why am I trying to rationalise this! :eek:

Mike Whittaker
16-10-05, 22:10
Seen today at a U14 game... the referee insisting that all conversions be taken OUTSIDE of the 22... e.g. conversion dead in front of the posts cannot be taken (say) 12 m out...

any iodeas where THAT one came from?

(purely for a bit of fun!)

didds

U14 game I did today (stunning performance) it wouldn't have made any difference to them... banging them over from anywhere! Surely the ball must be getting lighter? :rolleyes:

didds
17-10-05, 10:10
LOL! when I tried to rationalise it all I could come up with was a quasi-coaching angle on it that it provided the kicker with some "practise" at longer range kicks!

didds

robertti
17-10-05, 16:10
I actually agree with and like the idea of all conversion being taken on the 22 dead in front of the posts. After all why should a driving maul next to the posts be worth more points than a winger's try out wide?

OB..
17-10-05, 18:10
I think the defence deserve some credit for forcing the player to score out wide. OTherwise the conversion would be virtually automatic (except for Kenny Logan), so why bother?

I don't feel all that strongly about it, but I see no need to change it either.

Simon Griffiths
17-10-05, 20:10
I agree OB, the defence has worked hard to force them to attack the sides. I don't see many mauls in the centre of the park (usually from lineouts), but when they are there they've worked hard to set it up and get it moving (unlike the winger who could latch onto the overlap pass). Most tries down the middle are sheer brilliance (I will admit that some touch-line scores are too).

It is a Law which need not be tampered with - the average Joe can't keep up with the Law changes as it is!

Mike Whittaker
17-10-05, 23:10
I actually agree with and like the idea of all conversion being taken on the 22 dead in front of the posts. After all why should a driving maul next to the posts be worth more points than a winger's try out wide?

Might as well just award 7 points for the try and forget about the conversions. Or go the whole way in copying NFL and allow the conversion for 1 point, or the opportunity for say another 3 points if they take a tap penalty and score another try before a stoppage.

Or leave it as it is... :)

Bryan
18-10-05, 09:10
It is a Law which need not be tampered with - the average Joe can't keep up with the Law changes as it is!

Actually it has been tampered with. They experimented at the Laws Lab with this. Essentially, no matter where the try was scored the scoring team could take the conversion anywhere behind the goalposts with the following stipulations (or so I remember):

i. From in front to the 15m lines - 1 point
ii. From the 15 to the 5 m lines - 2 pts
iii. Outside the 5m lines - 3 pts

The result was that every team took them in front of the posts, apart from when games were close / a team's kicker could hit anything from 50m out.

-Bryan

Mike Whittaker
18-10-05, 09:10
At many clubs I have been to it would make more sense to award an extra point for all conversions and penalty goals if the ball landed inside the dead ball area. With this incentive far less time would be spent retrieving the ball from gardens, rivers, undergrowth etc etc.

Davet
18-10-05, 13:10
To speed things up why not have all conversions as a drop kick, taken in line with where the try was scored, from within the dead-ball area, kicking the ball back into the field of play. No charging allowed.

didds
18-10-05, 20:10
becuase the game ecompasses all types and forms, and hence appreciates all forms of play?

didds

didds
I think the defence deserve some credit for forcing the player to score out wide.

I always tell my sides - especially the younger sides. or inexperienced teams, that I would rather them leak tries around the edges than through the middle as the latter indicates a BIF defensive problem i.e. missed tackles rather than a numbers game.

Perhaps the argument should be why should a team be resaarde with an easy conversion when they couldn;t break down the defense in the middle of the park to score?

didds

didds
Most tries down the middle are sheer brilliance

or pants defense!

didds

didds
could be interesting on those pitches which "share" a dead ball line from one pitch to the next :-)

But not as "bad" as some cricket fields I played on in my younger years where two adjacent "ovals" actually crossed boundaries like a sort of Venn diagram... if you fielding on the boundary in one match you were actually standing in the field of play for the other - with your back to the the other's game's batsmen!

didds