PDA

View Full Version : 33 ELVs ?

chopper15
31-08-08, 14:08
Do we have them all listed anywhere on-line?

KML1
31-08-08, 14:08
33? try the IRb site - www.irb.com/elvs

chopper15
31-08-08, 22:08
33? try the IRb site - www.irb.com/elvs

There was reference to 33 in The STimes today and wondered what else 'they' conjured up for the game besides the 13 selected. I understand the IRB committee that formulated them only had one ref on the panel.

Stephen Jones, Sunday Times.

So how do you like your rugby, rugby-lovers? With horrible, crabbing attacks and shapelessness, with no mauls, no serious scrums, the false pace of tap-and-run, mass cheating at the breakdown, the near-disintegration of refereeing and its replacement by random whistling, and the craven abandonment of the IRB charter meant to preserve all that is great and singular and treasured in the game? Hail, the current southern hemisphere “rugby” season. And to hell with it.

Never fear, rugby as we love it returns across Europe on Saturday, without false gods. The Premiership in England will be the biggest to date and elsewhere around the UK, the best Magners League season, too. Thank goodness the 33 experimental law variations (ELVs) that caused the southern disaster have been slashed to 13 for the season here, with the good old Irish Rugby Union playing a heroic role in resisting the full raft. Bless their little green socks.

Let’s play the IRB’s game by trialling the 13 and then abandon most of them. Rugby in the northern hemisphere is too successful, too confrontational, too appealing, too bloody aggravating and too different to have everything forced into jeopardy because a few IRB “experts” and a load of Australians – helped by the sheer, witless gullibility of rugby in New Zealand and South Africa – want change for change’s sake and their own selfish interests.

There will be another day of reckoning in one year when some of the discarded experiments will come back round, like a pernicious virus. But for now, let’s celebrate the escape. The news is joyous for this season and at the very end of it, the Lions are back, and for me they still represent the highest point of the sport, just a step above the glories of the World Cup.

OB..
31-08-08, 23:08
Ignore him, chopper, he is ranting (again).

chopper15
31-08-08, 23:08
Ignore him, chopper, he is ranting (again).

And no more than 13 were put fwd, OB?

OB..
01-09-08, 00:09
Chopper - I really do not care exactly how many. It rather depends on how you count. For example the ELV that changed many sanctions to FKs probably accounted for more than 33 changes in the law book.

Several ELVs have been dropped from the current set: the changes to sanctions as mentioned; the offside line at a tackle; legitimising Truck & Trailer; handling in the ruck. Good thing too IMHO.

PaulDG
01-09-08, 07:09
And no more than 13 were put fwd, OB?

There were many more than that - did you do the RFU's survey just before the vote cos quite a few were implied there.

But amongst the others I heard about were the replacement of the scrum/retake kick option when a KO or restart goes directly to touch, doesn't go 10 or is made dead with a FK as in 7s.

I rather liked that one. If a FH can't take a KO properly, why muck about with a scrum?, FK and get on with the game!

Dixie
01-09-08, 09:09
I rather liked that one. If a FH can't take a KO properly, why muck about with a scrum?, FK and get on with the game!Wedge, thin end of. If a centre can't pass backwards, a basic skill learned in Tag rugby, why muck about with a scrum? FK and get on with the game! I think the Laws Project group identified many more examples.

PaulDG
01-09-08, 10:09
Wedge, thin end of.

Well possibly. I just liked it because it works already in 7s. IMHO a useful "tidy up" and not particularly game affecting as the number of KOs that don't meet the proper conditions is pretty low anyway - even at my level!

chopper15
01-09-08, 14:09
Did they toy with the idea of doing away with the two flankers and the mark?

Now that would be useful!