PDA

View Full Version : Unbinding in the Scrum

RussRef
06-09-08, 00:09
Nearly every Three Nations match I've watched in the last few weeks seems to have included many instances of back rows breaking their bind in the scrum as soon as the ball nears the opposing 8-man's feet. In some cases, the flankers are standing a full arm's length from the pack as the scrum ends, bound only by a fist on the lock. Has anyone else noticed the same thing, and is this something that just doesn't get called at the international level? In my matches, I would ping this behavior almost every time, as I think it's illegal and material, by giving the loosies too much advantage in defending against opposing 8-man pickups, etc.

Deeps
06-09-08, 01:09
Nearly every Three Nations match I've watched in the last few weeks seems to have included many instances of back rows breaking their bind in the scrum as soon as the ball nears the opposing 8-man's feet. In some cases, the flankers are standing a full arm's length from the pack as the scrum ends, bound only by a fist on the lock. Has anyone else noticed the same thing, and is this something that just doesn't get called at the international level? In my matches, I would ping this behavior almost every time, as I think it's illegal and material, by giving the loosies too much advantage in defending against opposing 8-man pickups, etc.

You and me both Russref; 20.3 DEFINITION and 20.3 (f) are quite clear. Ping 'em I say and let's deplore whoever decrees that televised games should be refereed to chase ratings.

ddjamo
06-09-08, 01:09
agree with deeps...tri nations/sh - they almost make their own laws...ever watch when it's a nh ref and sh sides? fun stuff!

KML1
06-09-08, 09:09
it's on our "critical things to watch" list with the ELVs in play as the space has been created to allow attacking back row play and defenders must remain within the law.

Rew15
06-09-08, 09:09
I have not watched a Super 14 or Tri Nation or NZ cup games this year as they are playing a different set of laws to us in the NH and I didn't want to confuse myself any further by watching a game that is in no way similar to the game I'll be refereeing.
I have both premiership games on sky+ for tomorrow and will interested to see if they conform to all the new changes especially the iRB directives.

Meanwhile this afternoon I think that I'll be coaching two more teams through another 80 minutes as I've been told that they want to play 4, 20 minute quarters and use it as a training game.

Roll on next week when the league games start.