PDA

View Full Version : What's not straight???

ctrainor
05-10-08, 21:10
Well the summer was well and truly over Saturday Heavy Rain and a Howling Gale Straight down the pitch for my game Workington v Fleetwood. Great credit to the players who played some good rugby in awful conditions but line outs were very difficult.
1. Teams couldn't shorten them because of the new laws.
2. The wind.
I deemed that if the ball had been straight as it crossed the 5 M line we played on and all players accepted that and got on with it.
The logic being 2 fold.
There was no real advantage to either team as securing the ball was difficult and based on the pass law where if the ball starts backwards and is blown forward it's play on.
No complaints from either team but is there a definition of straight in the line out??

PS. how do you keep your hands warm enough to hold a pencil and your paper dry in such conditions??

Dickie E
05-10-08, 22:10
1. do the ELVs stop a team from having short lineouts?
2. I look for the ball being somewhere near the line of touch when it is played (ie if a longish throw I expect the thrower to allow for the wind.) The logic being that the ball should be contestable.

OB..
05-10-08, 23:10
I agree with Dickie_E that the teams must make an effort to have the ball land at a contestable position. However you cannot expect them to read every gust of wind - even Ben Ainslie cannot do that on land.

Dixie
06-10-08, 07:10
Dickie, the ELV's don't actually prevent a shortened line, but if the throwing side put in 2 and the oppo put in 7, is there any advantage to it?

There are two schools of thought - Ciaran's "straight when crossing the 5m = straight", and Dickie/OB's landing in a contestable position. I personally prefer the latter. If I'm going with Ciaran's definition, am I going to penalise a throw that takes the wind into account and lands bang in the middle of the line of touch? I ought to, as it was crooked at 5m. But the objective of the law is met - I might end up penalising the only contestible throw in the game!

My concern would be that a side would use the 5m=straight definition when the wind is blowing against them, and the "landing contestibly" when playing the other way. This is fine if the wind is constant throughout the game and both teams are equally cheating - but if it is stronger in one half than the other, or only one side is being cute, then one side gets an advantage due solely to my interpretation.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
06-10-08, 08:10
I expect the thrower to allow for the wind. The logic being that the ball should be contestable.

That's the sort of quote I'd expect from someone who's never refereed in the North West of England (or have you?) :biggrin:

It was in Manchester on Sat evening (Rhinos vs Saints) and it was bloody awful there so I sympathise.

Wet paper? - In my experience of playing at eg Stocksbridge (up in the pennines above the trees) you rarely need to write anything down as it's usually 3-3. :biggrin: :biggrin:

OB..
06-10-08, 10:10
The RFU kindly provided me with something called a WeatherWriter - a clip board with a hinged plastic cover. It's a bit awkward to use in the rain, but reasonably effective. More than once a rain-soaked referee has asked me for the score.

PaulDG
06-10-08, 10:10
The RFU kindly provided me with something called a WeatherWriter - a clip board with a hinged plastic cover. It's a bit awkward to use in the rain, but reasonably effective. More than once a rain-soaked referee has asked me for the score.

After Sunday, I'm seriously considering getting one of the board / pencils SCUBA divers use..

Phil E
06-10-08, 11:10
I dont think a clipboard would fit in my pocket :wink:

I notice top football referees these days dont use a notebook, they write straight onto the yellow card. I am trying to find out what they use for this?

I am assuming it is some kind of chinograph pencil, but what stops it rubbing off when they shove it in their pocket?

Dixie
06-10-08, 11:10
I saw a Federation ref using this technique a few weeks ago at Maidenhead. As I had earlier offered him my suntan lotion, I wasn't really thinking about the rain-sodden card application - but I can really see the advantage. No idea how one can be sure the writing will still be there when you need it!

Phil E
06-10-08, 12:10
I found these and they sound really good. Just need to find someone who makes a rugby version now. I may email the first link and suggest it?

www.writeoncard.com (http://www.writeoncard.com/index.html)

Three card write on system (http://www.officialsports.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=6_15&products_id=520&osCsid=8bab8b182411324f67fae247fa6520f9)

Phil E
06-10-08, 14:10
I found these and they sound really good. Just need to find someone who makes a rugby version now. I may email the first link and suggest it?

www.writeoncard.com (http://www.writeoncard.com/index.html)

Three card write on system (http://www.officialsports.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=6_15&products_id=520&osCsid=8bab8b182411324f67fae247fa6520f9)

Had email straight back.

I actually have made some of these cards for a group out of Denver Colorado here is the USA. However, I have never been totally satisfied with the way that the cards look.
Let me see if I can create a .PDF file for you and send you what I have. To see if it will satisfy your needs.

I will post on here under a new thread when it arrives.