PDA

View Full Version : "the receiver can't ..." revisited

Not Kurt Weaver
09-10-08, 02:10
After 88 replies on the last thread, I couldn't come to a conclusion.

Have I been calling this wrong since August?

Law 19.10 Options available to players not in the lineout Exception 2 The receiver may run into the gap and perform any of the actions available to any other player in the lineout.....

Has this been deleted by the ELV? I currently use a 07 lawbook with the ELV's downloaded from the IRB penciled in. Thus, maybe the cause of my ignorance.

I have been allowing the receiver to join before the ball is thrown and mostly he/she is the supported player. As long as they start back 2 m and no one from the lineout replaces him/her they're good. Defensively a team could do the same, but several have placed a "receiver" 2m back at 15m; presumably a strong tackler. Both seem reasonable to me. The receivers easily identified and they comply with Exception 2.

At the "swap", I usually have to warn the peeling player once to wait until the ball is thrown before leaving the lineout to catch the ball. They have complied so far. A question arises however. If this lineout ball is caught and taken to maul is this peeling player (who takes up the usual duties of SH) then required to keep moving until the lineout has ended? Often times the peeling player stands flat foot awaiting the ball or commanding a driving maul.

ddjamo
kurt...this shit drove me nuts too. IRB says one thing...usa rugby another. I have allowed it to go on as usual. I don't see how the side in possession gains an advantage by swapping...and nobody can seem to give me a clear answer from "up above". I would say - manage it and don't worry too much...usa rugby doesn't seem worried about it:

Question
Can the receiver come into the lineout?
Answer
Before the ball is thrown, the receiver may step forward to become part of the lineout. If he/she does, another player already in the line may step out to become the receiver. These players cannot be in transit when the ball leaves the thrower’s hands.
After the ball is thrown, the receiver can join the line as allowed in 19.10.

Question
If a lineout is mauled, but it doesn't move off the line of touch, when can the scrumhalf breech the 2m barrier to retrieve the ball from the back of the maul? Or can she ever?
Answer
The requirement that the receiver be two meters off the line applies at the time of the throw. Once the ball has left the thrower’s hands she is free to act just as she always could.

jamo

ps - see you at the playoffs in a couple weeks....

ddjamo
also - when I questioned harry about it - he didn't seem too worried and almost acted like I was worrying about something meaningless....so...when in rome....

Not Kurt Weaver
ddjamo,
I'm not Kurt. I chose the moniker just to bother him.
Name's Darrell
I'll correct it sometime in the future.

Dixie
09-10-08, 09:10
I'll leave this one to the Yanks - The whole issue is confused enough, and they seem to have their own way of managing it over there.

ddjamo
09-10-08, 15:10
ah...you're just pissed he he stopped playing with you scioto boys? now he's a lowly ref? :)

Adam
09-10-08, 16:10
As long as the receiver is either in the line or 2m from the line at the time the ball leaves the throwers hands then fine. Once it leaves the throwers hands, the receiver (at 2m) can move into the line. However, he would have to be superman to cover that distance and then jump in that space of time.