PDA

View Full Version : Unintentional throw-forward

gillburt
10-10-08, 16:10
OK - I got the answer right, but I still don't understand the law. I understand the difference between a knock-on and the throw-forward, but in real-life how would an unintentional knock-forward manifest? I'm having problems visualising this one. When I was a player I never intentionally knock-on or threw forward.

Question 12 - Type: Law Question
Question Reference Number: 141
[BLANK] is not off-side.
Correct!
The correct answer is: A.
11.1a : A player who receives an unintentional throw-forward is not off-side. A player can be off-side in the in-goal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 out of 12 Correct: 75%

A. A player who receives an unintentional throw-forward
B. A player in front of the ball-carrier in in-goal
C. both A and B
D. neither A nor B

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Deeps
10-10-08, 17:10
OK - I got the answer right, but I still don't understand the law. I understand the difference between a knock-on and the throw-forward, but in real-life how would an unintentional knock-forward manifest? I'm having problems visualising this one. When I was a player I never intentionally knock-on or threw forward.

Question 12 - Type: Law Question
Question Reference Number: 141
[BLANK] is not off-side.
Correct!
The correct answer is: A.
11.1a : A player who receives an unintentional throw-forward is not off-side. A player can be off-side in the in-goal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 out of 12 Correct: 75%

A. A player who receives an unintentional throw-forward
B. A player in front of the ball-carrier in in-goal
C. both A and B
D. neither A nor B

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Dilbert, all normal knock ons or throw forwards are unintentional. The point the question is making is that the offence will always be the knock on/throw forward in this case and not one of offside of the player who catches the ball following an unintentional knock on or throw forward. The initial offence warrants a scrum to the opposition if there is no advantage; it would be inappropriate instead to sanction a full penalty against the ball recipient for being offside.

gillburt
10-10-08, 17:10
Ah, of course.

I was getting caught up on him not being off-side when he is in a "off-side position" - brain was aching.

However, his being off-side doesn't come into the equation because the original offence is the knock-on which we blow for first.

So in a way... this law is a bit "belt and braces" because we should not get past the throw-forward.

Deeps
10-10-08, 18:10
As you know, law was written by players for players and provides us with a framework and guidance. In some places it is better spelled out than in others.