PDA

View Full Version : Law Books past & Present

Robert Burns
14-11-05, 23:11
Do you actually own all these law books OB? or is their an online source you are using?

OB..
15-11-05, 09:11
I have a collection of old law books, picked up somewhat haphazardly. For example the 1949 Laws were in that year's copy of the Playfair annual which a friend of mine found in a second-hand bookshop for a couple of peanuts. The 1845 Laws were in Jennifer Macrory's book "Running with the ball". I was given a photocopy of the 1871 manuscript by the RFU Librarian a few years ago. A local club recently played a celebration match under 1891 Laws, and made a copy available. I have a complete set from 1974, courtesy of various colleagues scoring brownie points with their wives by throwing out "junk".

I have transferred most of the older ones to my computer for ease of looking things up.

I also collect various queries that I look into when I visit the Reference Library at Twickeham from time to time.

ex-lucy
15-11-05, 12:11
I picked up a 1908 law book....

i can photocopy for you, if you like...

OB..
15-11-05, 13:11
I picked up a 1908 law book....

i can photocopy for you, if you like...
Offer gratefully accepted, if it is not too much trouble.

Robert Burns
15-11-05, 13:11
Would it be acceptable to get them all online here?

I'll of course give all credits to where and whoever deserves tme.

OB..
15-11-05, 16:11
I hit a copyright problem with the 1871 laws (now solved, but I have not yet had time to implement the solution). I don't believe there is any such problem with RFU or IRB published law books, but there may be with the early ones (from Rugby School).

I'll make a few enquiries.

Robert Burns
17-11-05, 03:11
That cool.

It would be good if we could show how the laws have changed over time.

OB..
17-11-05, 09:11
Nothing is likely to happen before Christmas. I am just about to leave for Washington for my son's wedding anyway, and then the usual last minute panic will set in on return.

Simon Thomas
17-11-05, 09:11
Have a great trip OB and hope the wedding goes well - and you are a very proud dad !

SimonSmith
17-11-05, 12:11
Nothing is likely to happen before Christmas. I am just about to leave for Washington for my son's wedding anyway, and then the usual last minute panic will set in on return.

D.C? Have fun!

Robert Burns
17-11-05, 23:11
Yep,

have a great trip and we'll see you on your return.

I gather we'll still see the odd post from the US, lol.