PDA

View Full Version : Pneumonics

gpzzone
11-11-08, 09:11
Does anyone have any Pneumonics that help them to remember awards following offences etc...

Ie stupid words or phrases that remind them how to treat a given situation.

For example DIDS to help handle TIG decisions?

DIDS--- DEFENDER - IN - DEAD - SCRUM.

Ie If a Defender takes the ball in goal and the ball goes, or is made dead, the decision is a dropout.

Any out there?

Simon Thomas
11-11-08, 09:11
How does knowledge of tyre pressures in France or medical ventilators help ?

I think what you might mean are mnemonics - Greek mnemonikos 'of memory' - , which are devices to help us remember (aide memoire or memory aide).

I just group offences to remember, but mostly I know what they are through playing for 30 years and reffing for 10 years, and reading LoG over and over again :

Technical offence - scrum or occasional free kick

Foul play - penalty

For in goal and 22m - who took it back in originally ?

Deeps
11-11-08, 11:11
Hilarious and quite right, lots of reading and many seasons under the belt.

Phil E
11-11-08, 12:11
Ie If a Defender takes the ball in goal and the ball goes, or is made dead, the decision is a dropout.

erm......no.

If the defender takes it into in goal and the ball is made dead, it's an attacking 5m scrum.

If an attacker takes it into in goal and the ball is made dead, then it's a dropout.

I find the easiest way to learn is to visualise a situation in a match, then look up what to do; as opposed to just reading through the law book (the plot is rubbish and theres no real ending:biggrin: )

gpzzone
11-11-08, 14:11
I'm a Dozey Bu**er

I was that intent on spelling everything correctly :biggrin: I forgot that S means Scrum!

Ho Hum :)

gillburt
11-11-08, 14:11
How about the "Hockey Cokey" for rucks and mauls....

because you go

"in" to find the ball

"out" once you've found it, and then

"shake it all about" check the back lines for off-side etc...

:D

Well, I thought it was funny.....

Dickie E
12-11-08, 06:11
the TJ's mantra for position in-goal when there is a try scoring situation is like having sex:

go in deep & go in often.

Bryan
12-11-08, 14:11
ScrumTime checklist is 4 Bs: Binds, Ball, Backrow, Backs (I cycle through these during scrumtime so that I'm always keeping an eye out)

Rucktime is GPS: Guards, Pillars, Sentinals so that I'm always moving out from inside to outside (BIO is another one I've heard used: Ball, Inside Backs, Outside Backs)

When I first started the breakdown was often GIGO - Get In, Get Out, to remember to move to a wider position once the area had been managed and I could move onto the next phase.

Once you've done this enough times it tends to become an unconscious thought process. The mnemonics help you get there faster, or if you need to fall back on something if things are going FUBAR.

tim White
12-11-08, 16:11
To Be Arranged; TBA; At tackle look in the following order; Tackler, Ball Carrier, Arriving players (or := ,:Looser:, :eek: if you prefer)

OB..
12-11-08, 18:11
When I first started the breakdown was often GIGO.
Computer geeks will know this as Garbage In - Garbage Out :D

(I suppose by now that is an Oldmonic rather than a Pneumonic.)

Phil E
13-11-08, 12:11
........if things are going FUBAR.

I prefer SNAFU :biggrin:

Dixie
13-11-08, 13:11
I prefer SNAFU :biggrin:Any idea what it stands for?

Wert Twacky
13-11-08, 14:11
For the contact area, I like to sing a little song to myself:

"Get in, get out, stop fu*king about - yohoe yohoe yohoe"! :D

Phil E
13-11-08, 14:11
For the contact area, I like to sing a little song to myself:

"Get in, get out, stop fu*king about - yohoe yohoe yohoe"! :D

OK if your a rapper, can't imagine it sounds the same in a Zomerzet accent?
................and at the speed most people talk in Zomerzet, the players would be half way donw the pitch by the time you finished saying it:wink:

SNAFU: Situation Normal, All Fu**ed Up.

Wert Twacky
13-11-08, 15:11
Phil,

After plenty of apple juice, you can rap with the best of 'em!

But the ditty I mention, if I recall correctly and I've been nowhere near the apple juice today, stems from a rugby song, but can't for the life of me remember which one!

Now the memory loss I do blame on consumption of God's finest wet stuff!

SimonSmith
13-11-08, 17:11
Any idea what it stands for?
Situation Normal All F'ed Up.