PDA

View Full Version : Penalty against Dawson

ex-lucy
21-11-05, 18:11
The penalty that Mr Lewis gave against Dawson to give NZ 23 pts.
Was it correct ?
I believe he gave it against Dawson for being offside but the Nz No8 was doing a Dean Richards impersonation and the ball was out for me.

And the decision to give NZ the scrum fron a collapsed maul, ball not on floor, was this correct ?

OB..
21-11-05, 21:11
And the decision to give NZ the scrum from a collapsed maul, ball not on floor, was this correct ?Can't check, as I've lent my tape to a friend. However it does not matter if the ball is on the ground or not when a maul collapses. That does not automatically turn it into a ruck - it probably becomes an unsuccessful end to a maul under 17.6 (b).

To turn a maul into a ruck you have to let the ball go to the ground (without going forward) while it is still a proper maul.

If the ball-carrier goes to ground, that comes under 17.6 (g) - unsuccessful end.

Of course if it wasn't a maul, but a tackle, or a pile-up ...

Robert Burns
21-11-05, 22:11
Personally and Penalty against Matt Dawson is warranted, doesn't matter what it's for.

I think he must be the player most referees would say gets on their t*ts with his constant moaning instead of going in and trying to win the ball.