PDA

View Full Version : Conversions

Robert Burns
22-02-04, 01:02
When they are taken and missed, do you still blow the whistle?

Personally I only blow when the conversion is scored.

And secondly, Where does it mention Double Movement in the law book, and what do you give for it?

Deeps
22-02-04, 08:02
When they are taken and missed, do you still blow the whistle?

Personally I only blow when the conversion is scored.

And secondly, Where does it mention Double Movement in the law book, and what do you give for it?

1. No

2. This is correct.

3. There is no such thing as a 'double movement' commonly thrown at you by several of your 30 on field advisors. See Law 22.4 and specifically (e). This allows a player tackled near the goal line to reach out and score but if he cannot reach then he must abide by the tackle law and quickly too.

Robert Burns
22-02-04, 18:02
So that would make a so called 'double movement' a penalty then yes?

Deeps
22-02-04, 21:02
So that would make a so called 'double movement' a penalty then yes?

I suggest you do not use the term at all. It is vestigial (!) from when the law said something different but that was a long time ago. As I stated above, a player tackled near the goal line may reach out and attempt to score. The critical word or trigger in your mind should be 'immediately' not the number of goes he has doing it. I would expect a player to make the effort to score if he has come up just short; if he has to try again because a pair of legs are in the way then that is OK as long as his action is immediate. I would also expect that after .98 seconds of trying (i.e. v.quickly) no matter how many lunges he makes in that time that he realises he is not going to make it and exercises his options as are required of the tackled player.

Any sensible player will quickly realise that the best chance of a score is to recycle the ball legally anyway provided that the support is there. I would would also think very hard about penalising an attacking player making a positive play.

Robert Burns
22-02-04, 22:02
Player I had, Got near the line was tackled, landed at full stretch to score was about 6 inches short and then bumped himself forward so that he could get over the line, the only reason he was able to do it though was because the tackler did as required, and released the player after he had been tackled.

i gave a Penalty for not releasing the ball straight away when tackled

Deeps
23-02-04, 07:02
Player I had, Got near the line was tackled, landed at full stretch to score was about 6 inches short and then bumped himself forward so that he could get over the line, the only reason he was able to do it though was because the tackler did as required, and released the player after he had been tackled.

i gave a Penalty for not releasing the ball straight away when tackled

In my book you were absolutely right. He clearly could not make the line having reached out following the tackle and should have exercised his options. I am glad you have deleted the term 'double movement'; it tends to trigger an old fashioned and outmoded mind set in some players which is invariably based on ignorance of Law.

Red Munster
23-02-04, 14:02
And Law 14 - Definition "The game is to be played by players who are on their feet."

So if a player is tackled and is released and crawls, it is a penalty against for not getting up on their feet.

Similarly, in the example when the player bumped himself along, penalty against for not playing on his feet.