PDA

View Full Version : Why did I blow ?

Simon Thomas
26-11-08, 15:11
Any one got any idea why I might be blowing for this lineout ?

Level 9 Hampshire 1 league match last month.

Dave T - you were right there and are watching the ball, I am looking elsewhere.

Chopper - can just see boot of oppo to thrower inside trams at least 5m back !

http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/simon5_fordbridge_southampton_oct08.jpg

SimonSmith
Is Blue's front lifter lifting from the knees?

TheBFG
don't think you know, your eyes are shut:chin: ;) ;)

TheBFG
is it for the guys at the back of the red line for having socks and shorts that look as though they belong on a soccer pitch?:chin:

PaulDG
is it for the guys at the back of the red line for having socks and shorts that look as though they belong on a soccer pitch?:chin:

I was thinking that. Or the Blue 17 for wearing the wrong colour glove.

(Actually... How far have Blue 6's shorts come down at the front?!?)

chopper15
Any one got any idea why I might be blowing for this lineout ?

Level 9 Hampshire 1 league match last month.

Dave T - you were right there and are watching the ball, I am looking elsewhere.

Chopper - can just see boot of oppo to thrower inside trams at least 5m back !

http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/simon5_fordbridge_southampton_oct08.jpg

Yes I did, Simon.

Blue player stepped out of line into trams before ball was thrown?

Or, you saw him standing in the trams, waited until the ball left the thrower's hands, then pinged him?

Lifting not supporting? Or are they allowed to do that now?

tim White
The player at the back of the line for reds looks about 15 years old -or he was fly half and therefore offside.

Where are the receivers?

andyscott
Something to do with the no3 blue?

TheBFG
was #6 blue the reciver and joined the line before the ball was thrown?

KML1
26-11-08, 16:11
another ball on the pitch, or a dog in field of play.

TheBFG
was it half/full time :wink:

Jacko
Early lift - we have no concept of how long those jumpers have been up.

andyscott
was it half/full time :wink:

Ball isnt dead :chin:

TheBFG
he's getting on a bit :wink: took a while to get whistle to mouth!:hap:

tim White
Irate but slightly confused spectator with a strange accent on the pitch explaining the ball has to travel at least 5m even though you understood the concept of 'Ball' 'At least' and '5m' on the first three occasions he did so?;)

Simonsky
26-11-08, 17:11
Why does oppo to thrower appear to be on 'wrong' side?

Why is thrower not visible?

Lee Lifeson-Peart
26-11-08, 17:11
Just a minute gents I appear to have stood in position A again and as my advisor is here I should have stood in position F by now so we'll have that line again. Sorry! :biggrin:

Dixie
26-11-08, 18:11
The player at the back of the line for reds looks about 15 years old -or he was fly half and therefore offside.

Where are the receivers?

Tim White wash your mouth out! Red 12 and 10 have a perfect right to be in the lineout, as do 15, 14, 13 and 11 as well. None of them would be offside if stood there.

My first thought was front jumper lifting below the thigh; then the guy in aquamarine at the front appears not to have been standing as part of a straight line; and as Chopper points out, he may well be in the trams. However, Life Leeson-Peart really got me laughing - good one:clap: :clap: :clap:

gillburt
1. Pre-emptive blow to prevent indecent exposure by Blue 6.
Conversely, Red 18 looks like he's getting his shorts shoved up his ar*e.

2. Blue position 1 seems to be supporting below the thighs from in front. 19.9 (k)

3. Red clearly have no concept of a straight line

4. The spectator stood behind you, wearing glasses (but no hat) is toppling over backwards.

5. You're not actually blowing your whistle, you're getting a bit of food out that's stuck in your teeth :biggrin:

Deeps
It's Fordingbridge, it hit the tree.

Not Kurt Weaver
26-11-08, 20:11
Red 18 no longer has his arms fully extended as if he is coming down from an early lift. The hands of the red rear lifter are to high on 18's backside to be in the lifting phase. So I say JUMPING before ball is thrown.

Blue appears to win lineout. Wouldn't this be a time to play advantage if it is a red early jump yet blue wins?

ex-lucy
27-11-08, 11:11
i cant see a red hooker type player in 5m channel.
blue player closest to you looks like he is double banking or in the 5m channel.

an alien is waltzing across the pitch and is about to provide 31 anal probes?

TheBFG
i cant see a red hooker type player in 5m channel.
blue player closest to you looks like he is double banking or in the 5m channel.

there's a boot bottom left of piccy which ST assures us was the oppo "hooker"

probes................. having a good moening are we Ex?:hap:

Phil E
there's a boot bottom left of piccy which ST assures us was the oppo "hooker"

probes................. having a good moening are we Ex?:hap:

How did ST know (prior to blowing his whistle) that the "person in direct oppostion to the thrower" would conveniently poke his toe into the corner of the photo?

ex-lucy
27-11-08, 12:11
what else did you want him to poke into the corner of the photo?

chopper15
27-11-08, 14:11
I reckon yours was retouched, Simon!:hap:

Phil E
I reckon yours was retouched, Simon!:hap:

There appears to a bronzed streaker in the bushes?

Simon Thomas
Nice one Chopper

Davet
You're right I was there, extreme right, and as a pure specatator (and Blue VP) I was concerned about us winning that throw.

I can't remember why you blew.

If you gave something to Red/White at that point then it was probably your one error of the game.

Dixie
27-11-08, 15:11
so what's the answer?

Phil E
Your not going to penalise yourself are you? For impersonating a referee? :eek: :biggrin: :wow:

Gareth-Lee Smith
Are you brandishing a Red, there?

Simon Thomas
so what's the answer?

I don't know Dixie - hence why I asked.

I suspect Jacko / Not Kurt Weaver are right and it was for an early red/white jump - it was in first 10 mins - and I needed to establish control / requirements, hence no advantage. I recall the blue hooker was slow getting ball in as well to start with. So set out stall and start again !

Thanks for all the suggestions, and Chopper for the doctored pic (couldn't be true as I am not a red card ref (usually only one a season when someone gets red mist).

Simon S - I don't remember any lifting issues (I always check both sides pre-match and confirm I am happy with hands positions).

BFG - flanker had his Southampton University shorts and socks on. He got YC later for persistent in at side of tackle/ruck.

PaulDG - I didn't notice the glove - should have checked for IRB logo ! Or that Blue 6 was losing his shorts.

Chopper - I really have no idea what blue 3 was doing. He wasn't my focus at the time.

KML1 - it was a level 9, they only have one ball usually ! And it was Fordingbridge, so all dogs on leads.

Tim - you are just causing trouble :D

Simonsky - some of blue thrower can be seen between front two players

Lee - actually had two advisers there, but not in any official capacity.

Gilburt - :D

Deeps - use of local knowldege, very good !

Ex-Lucy - aliens and anal probes ? You need to get out a bit more.

GarethLee - that is a Chopper edited version !

Simonsky
27-11-08, 16:11
Simonsky - some of blue thrower can be seen between front two players

Given that the ball has left thrower's hands would that not make blue thrower offside given he is more or less in line with reds? He seems to be in a position where I would more or less expect red hooker to be. If this is the case perhaps too little time had elapsed after throw(and picture being taken) to get onside. In any case he clearly seems too far to right(his) of LoT. Correct me if I'm confused here!

Brilliant idea for question ST, very educational for me who is hazy on line-out law (and a lot of other things!).

Phil E
27-11-08, 16:11
Brilliant idea for question ST, very educational for me who is hazy on line-out law (and a lot of other things!).

But next time you pose a question, it helps if you know the correct answer yourself?

(I'm sulking becasue I never got a mention in your final post:mad: )

tim White
27-11-08, 17:11
[QUOTE=Dixie;59573]Tim White wash your mouth out! Red 12 and 10 have a perfect right to be in the lineout, as do 15, 14, 13 and 11 as well. None of them would be offside if stood there.QUOTE]

Only if that was the number on their shirt BUT NOT if they were the positions they had adopted prior to the ball being thrown -and we can see it is not a long throw over the top.:nono:

Simonsky
But next time you pose a question, it helps if you know the correct answer yourself?

(I'm sulking becasue I never got a mention in your final post:mad: )

Well Phil, as a novice and mere terrace fan on this site I was dead chuffed to get mentioned! Who knows, this might be the first step to getting myself over to an ELRA course!:D

ex-lucy
i am safe here in my faraday cage, thanks ....

Davet
27-11-08, 18:11
Simon, Fordingbridge always have at least 4 balls available, two spares on the tree side, where the only separation from the road is the hedge you see behind us all, and one on the other side. 1 to play with.

We are extremely organised.

ctrainor
27-11-08, 20:11
Simon, Maybe you didn't blow and were just dummying the blow to keep them on their toes!!!!
We should have more threads like this:clap:

Dixie
27-11-08, 22:11
[QUOTE=Dixie;59573]Tim White wash your mouth out! Red 12 and 10 have a perfect right to be in the lineout, as do 15, 14, 13 and 11 as well. None of them would be offside if stood there.QUOTE]

Only if that was the number on their shirt BUT NOT if they were the positions they had adopted prior to the ball being thrown -and we can see it is not a long throw over the top.:nono:OK - now I'm seriously confused. Since the numbers obligation was lifted by the ELV, there is nothing to stop Red putting 14 players in the lineout in Blue's throw. The 15th needs to be in the tramlines, 2m from the 5m line. So why would 10 (fly half) and 12 (inside centre) be offside if they chose to stand in the lineout in order to be 10m closer to their opponent if they wish?

PaulDG
28-11-08, 08:11
OK - now I'm seriously confused. Since the numbers obligation was lifted by the ELV, there is nothing to stop Red putting 14 players in the lineout in Blue's throw. The 15th needs to be in the tramlines, 2m from the 5m line. So why would 10 (fly half) and 12 (inside centre) be offside if they chose to stand in the lineout in order to be 10m closer to their opponent if they wish?

If they're outside the 15m line they're offside. It's not easy to tell from the photo where the 15m line is.

Dixie
28-11-08, 09:11
True - but it's a standard 7-man line, with no suggestion of untoward gaps between the players. I think Tim is arguing that only forwards can be in the lineout. That's a new one on me. Incidentally, you've managed to attribute my quote to Tim. Outstanding:)

Simon Thomas
Simon, Fordingbridge always have at least 4 balls available, two spares on the tree side, where the only separation from the road is the hedge you see behind us all, and one on the other side. 1 to play with.

We are extremely organised.

Dave - it was a lighthearted quip,sorry if it caused offence.

Just to confirm to all our readers - there were at least 4 (new) match balls, pre-presented to me to check the pressures. Two were put on the side DaveT stood as there is a hedge and a road and it takes time to get the kicked balls back.
Fordingbridge are a well organised & hospitable club both on and off the pitch and always a pleasure to visit !

Simon Thomas
Your not going to penalise yourself are you? For impersonating a referee? :eek: :biggrin: :wow:

Oh Phil - sorry you weren't mentioned in my final post. I giggled at this post of yours above, as I am guilty as charged of course ! :D

I didn't think the one about 'oppo to thrower's toe' being poked into piccy merited another reply.

As to the bronzed streaker etc - Chopper is a wicked man !

ex-lucy
28-11-08, 15:11
As to the bronzed streaker etc - Chopper is a wicked man !
i, like a few others, are surprised you noiticed this offence.. or did you have to be told ... is that why Davet stalks you? ... to prompt you?