PDA

View Full Version : Cards were left in changing room

Account Deleted
05-12-05, 22:12
Sunday Powegen Cup London Irish Vs Cardiff Blues

Ref gives severa lwarnings including final to both sides next offence sees the ref go to his pocket. But nothing is there!
A whispered conversation over the mike and a few minutes later a waterbottle comes on for the ref and something is (in)discretely put in his other hand. From that hand not his pocket emerges the first yellow car of the day.

Now my question is this: Why did he not "yellow" the guy he was going to when he discovered that he had left the cards behind? could he not say to the player "take 10 mins for your trouble" and, via the mike tell the 4th official that it is a temp suspension? In other words do you have to show a card for a dsmisal to be valid? If yes what would have happened if a player had landed a giant haymaker knocking a player out no red so he stays on?

Going back to the incident I'd have liked to see the ref use a bit of humour when the cards finally arrived as most people could see that he'd forgotten them.

ExHookah
05-12-05, 23:12
That's hysterical!

I've got out to the middle and realized I don't have a coin in my pocket, but not missing cards before. I've also lost my coin during matches and needed it for extra time, or the following matches during tournaments.

Simon Griffiths
05-12-05, 23:12
What a humourous anecdote - I might stick it in our next society Newsletter*.

I think normally we'd just say, take ten minutes. One member of the forums (I've forgotten whom) prefers/preferred not to use them. However, I think at that level, there is probably a protocol in place so that you don't have a few thousand fans all in the dark.

*This season's issues, for your perusal:
Issue 1 - August (http://www.s124947777.websitehome.co.uk/GLADtidings.htm)
Issue 2 - September (http://www.s124947777.websitehome.co.uk/GLADtidings2.htm)
Issue 3 - October (http://www.s124947777.websitehome.co.uk/GLADtidings3.htm)
November's has been combined with December's and will be out shortly!

Deeps
06-12-05, 00:12
That's hysterical!

I've got out to the middle and realized I don't have a coin in my pocket, but not missing cards before. I've also lost my coin during matches and needed it for extra time, or the following matches during tournaments.

After years of wearing out my short's pockets and donating various coins of the realm to the greenswards of Britain, I now put a shiny 2p piece in my referees tracksuit jacket (I'll model one for you when I work out how to get a picture up) and keep a spare taped inside my referees score card and cards wallet.

You have to be disciplined and get your briefing done early so that K.O. time doesn't creep up on you with the realisation that you have yet to do the toss and skipper's chat.

Jacko
06-12-05, 01:12
The fact that this thread appears in "Our referee did this....was he right?" made me titter. I think to clarify, we should point out that in general it is NOT right to leave your cards in the changing room.

Account Deleted
06-12-05, 09:12
Highly ammusing indeed.

The "was he right bit" relates to the non sin-bin because the cards were missing. Does he actually need them?
At such a game could he not have conveyed the "yellow" to the 4th official via the mic and then the official could have got it announced over the tannoy (granted at most grounds that would have meant that the crowd would still be in the dark:D

Wert Twacky
06-12-05, 11:12
Something else that made me chuckle at the weekend was Chris White at the Northampton v Lec match.

Anyone else notice the shirt he wearing at kick-off changed around 10-15 min into the match?

A yellow shirt sir, when the Saints wear the same? It did look like the nice little black number he changed into was borrowed from Saints as there were yellow flecks on the arms:D

They're only human too:p

Bryan
06-12-05, 12:12
Anyone else notice the shirt he wearing at kick-off changed around 10-15 min into the match?

So that's why he was wearing that ugly black shirt with no collar or logos anywhere when I started watching it. Here I am thinking that Powergen screwed it all up...

-Bryan

Simon Thomas
06-12-05, 13:12
Poor old Chris White didn't have a spare shirt in his bag then - I thoyught the top guys had loads of 'stash' !
Surely Chris noticed the problem, or maybe it was not a problem on the pitch for the players due t the black stripes on officials kit - just an issue on TV perhaps. Do Powergen just supplied the one set of yellow (block stripes) kit to all refs ?
But congrats to whoever it was that found the stylish black training top for Chris to wear ! And matching ones for the TJs to change into at half time !

ExHookah
06-12-05, 14:12
Poor old Chris White didn't have a spare shirt in his bag then - I thoyught the top guys had loads of 'stash' !
Surely Chris noticed the problem, or maybe it was not a problem on the pitch for the players due t the black stripes on officials kit - just an issue on TV perhaps. Do Powergen just supplied the one set of yellow (block stripes) kit to all refs ?
But congrats to whoever it was that found the stylish black training top for Chris to wear ! And matching ones for the TJs to change into at half time !

Anyone got any pictures of this?

(I hasten to add that I will refuse to offer any critical comments regarding collarless shirts!)

Bryan
06-12-05, 15:12
I thoyught the top guys had loads of 'stash' !

Actually, from the Minutes from the Elite Referees Conference:

Referee kit concerns were expressed at the age and small quantities of referee kit. The Referee Manager admitted that there has been a problem with the current sponsor letting the IRB down in the past, but reassured the referees that there will be new kit issued for the 6 Nations tournament and that a new sponsor would be on board for all gear from June 2006. He promised to ensure that this would not be an on-going problem. He also agreed to ask for long sleeve jerseys as a preference.

They can borrow any of mine anytime. We've all got loads of jerseys by now!
-Bryan

Simon Thomas
06-12-05, 16:12
Bryan

Yes, IRB have a temporary shortage of kit, which is usued for International matches only.

This was the RFU's National Powergen Cup, so nothing to do with IRB. and a totally different and national source of kit supply - from whom I know they have plenty of stash !

ExHookah
06-12-05, 16:12
Bryan

Yes, IRB have a temporary shortage of kit, which is usued for International matches only.

This was the RFU's National Powergen Cup, so nothing to do with IRB. and a totally different and national source of kit supply - from whom I know they have plenty of stash !

Should I feel guilty that I have a green and blue IRB jersey hanging in my closet?

Brian Ravenhill
06-12-05, 17:12
I can only asume that Powergen only paid for one set of shirts in yellow as all the other teams of three were in yellow. Knowing the reputation Chris has for preparation I can only assume it was a TV problem with destiction and not one for players.

Robert Burns
07-12-05, 00:12
I believe the referees were wearing their GP shirts, not specific PG ones. If thats the case they do only get a set number for the season.

Also, it was Chris White in this years 6 nations that wore a Blue and White strip when refereeing Wales v Scotland (both in their home kits). lol.

I also have a green and blue IRB top now, and also have just purchased the orange one to go with it.

Shall I wear them to referee in? Not a chance, I'd never do the shirt any credit!! lol

Brian Ravenhill
07-12-05, 09:12
The officials were wearing Powergen Eon sponsorship logos on both the front and back.
All that money towards sponsorship and it was wasted.

Deeps
07-12-05, 10:12
Should I feel guilty that I have a green and blue IRB jersey hanging in my closet?

Me too, though I have not had the b*lls to wear it out in public yet. Perhaps we should find out who else has one and between us supply the IRB?

ExHookah
07-12-05, 12:12
Me too, though I have not had the b*lls to wear it out in public yet. Perhaps we should find out who else has one and between us supply the IRB?

I wore it to the bar in NY to watch England vs NZ, and within a few minutes was being bombarded with questions on the laws. People noticed it faster than I expected!

I also have a green and blue IRB top now, and also have just purchased the orange one to go with it.

Oooh, where did you get the orange one?

Bryan
07-12-05, 12:12
where did you get the orange one?

I got my orange and navy jersey from E-bay. There were around 12 being flogged off at one time, and I ordered the Short sleeve but got the long sleeve jersey instead, but then couldn't be bothered to send it back and get the Short sleeve one.

Also got the short sleeve blue and white one from E-bay as well. Both were from the 2003 RWC.

-Bryan

ExHookah
07-12-05, 14:12
I got my orange and navy jersey from E-bay. There were around 12 being flogged off at one time, and I ordered the Short sleeve but got the long sleeve jersey instead, but then couldn't be bothered to send it back and get the Short sleeve one.

Also got the short sleeve blue and white one from E-bay as well. Both were from the 2003 RWC.

-Bryan

That's where I got mine from too.

Every so often I go on there and search on "Rugby Referee" and just see what I can find. 90% of the time there's not much except for some wierdo selling "stretchy Guinness referee" models. WTF? Who wants one of those? Give me a damn jersey or get off my eBay search.

(yes, I'm cranky this morning!)

tim White
08-12-05, 11:12
Last saturday I was handed the match ball in the changing room. I foolishly accepted it and eventually left it there when we all trooped onto the pitch. Moral, do not allow yourself to be made responsible for peripheral tasks or duties, politely ask that the home club sort that out. Embarrassing? yes, amusing? yes. Will I do it again?, not if I can think fast enough to say no thank you, thats your problem, don't pass it on to me as I already have plenty to occupy me:cool: !

Simon Thomas
08-12-05, 13:12
I have done exactly the same Tim - most embarrasing isn't it !

Even worse was when I was 4th official for County match, I left the two match balls in officials room, which was locked and 400m from pitch. I took a lot of stick for that one - from everyone including lots of spectators !

As you say, I make it the home club's responsibility to have ball in centre for kick-off, plus spares on touchline. I usually deal with this at skipper briefing or when offered ball(s) by home club official.

I have enough trouble remembering everything else - they can deal with the ball(s)

Wert Twacky
08-12-05, 13:12
In the early years (ah, remember them.......) I got both teams out on the pitch and then remembered we had no ball.....

...even worse is getting out on the pitch (with one team already out and ready to KO) and running to the centre, and remembering the other team are still in the changing rooms. I stood there, and stood there, and stood there....

...and then ran back in and got them out.

Put it down to experience...

Brian Ravenhill
08-12-05, 14:12
A few weeks ago early in the game I awarded a penalty, the side said they wanted the attempt at goal, I signalled then tapped my pocket to ensure the scorebook was there. No dull thudding sound just a finger tapping my leg. Luckily he missed. The resultant 22 was kicked long and rolled in to touch immediately beside my tracksuit with my scorebook nestled in one pocket. I managed to get the book and return to the line out before half the players got there directly. My tracksuit was only on the side of the pitch because it was minus two degrees and the changing rooms were half a mile away!

Darren
09-12-05, 08:12
Has anyone else accidentally had their watch knocked by a player which has stopped it running without you realising? You next glance at it and reel in horror because you have no idea how long ago it stopped timing. Oh deep joy.

Wert Twacky
09-12-05, 10:12
Darren,

In answer to your question about watches - yes, lots of times!

I've also forgotten to start it again after a stoppage. Often in lower level/2nd team/junior matches, I flick it back from "stop watch" to the actual time and then use guesswork, but most of my league matchs etc, I always wear two watches - one with a running clock, and the other a stop start. All angles covered there (hopeully)!

I once turned up to match and forgot my boots, but luckily a TJ had a spare pare, ableit a size too big. Will never forget again!

Simon Thomas
09-12-05, 11:12
As it's Christmas and confessions time - here is a cracker !

I keep my whistles, cards, pencils etc in an old plastic ice-cream carton (as alot of guys seem to do).

At one Sunday Colts match a few years ago, I arrived to find I had picked up the wrong carton form the side - I had my daughter's which had her 3 horsey day event gear in it.
So I had a whistle, a stop watch, and even replacement studs & spanner (but for horseshoes), plus various leg bandages, strange ointments and an overpowering aroma !

Ever since I have used an old boot bag for my kit !

Wert Twacky
09-12-05, 13:12
OK then, how's about this one....

I was down at my club on a rare Saturday off (a while ago I hasten to add) waiting to watch the first team when the referee pulled up in his car in a bit of a panic. I knew the ref as he's from our Society so he came rushing over in a panic after making a beeline for me.
He'd had a major barney with the missus before leaving the house and stormed out WITHOUT picking up his kitbag. He realised this too late, and didn't really know our town very well to get spare stuff, so I had to dash home and grab surplus kit for him.

Never leave home on a bad note!

SimonSmith
09-12-05, 14:12
Since we're all sharing....

Yep, forgot the boots once.
Arguments at home, so normal routine went out the window. Got to Winchester, and went through my routine.....
Kit bag open, out with shirt, shorts, etc all laid nicely out on the bench. No boots.

Hmm; must have got them out earlier. Nope, still can't see them. At this stage the awful sense of foreboding descends which I try to deny by thinking that they fell out in the boot or something. Out to car. Nothing.

Now feeling really worried, so started to walk aimlessly around the clubhouse in case I had dropped them. Bumped into the captain of the Winch 3s, with whom I got on really well. He's injured and not playing....notice my look of panic and asks why. Out comes the whole story, at which point he took pity on me and indicated that he's the same kind of genetic freak as me (small feet), and he happens to have his boots with him.

Worth three points a game in the future we agreed!

Pablo
09-12-05, 15:12
Realised while changing before a game that I had all of my kit, but no fresh pants to change into afterwards. Did the game commando, but went home comfortable!

Jacko
09-12-05, 15:12
Thanks for sharing.

ex-lucy
10-12-05, 12:12
cant remember any embarrassing moments (yet) as a ref .. only been a proper ref for one year ...
but as a player loads .. prob worst was having a spot of trouble in the bottom area ... 1st xv league match ...and been to the loo about 5 times ... then 5 mins knock from ref and i had to go again ... it took a bit longer than expected ... i tried to finsih as quickly as poss .. came back into the changing room to find .. it was empty ... ran out of changing room to find .... teh ref blowing his whistle to start the match .... i sprinted (ok, ran) to the sideline of pitch .. ball was caught from kick off and mauled up the pitch (my forte) .... kick ahead .. caught .. turned over .. mauled again and try ...
my team had scored .... they jogged back to the half way to find me now on the pitch (oops, didnt ask ref) .. waiting for them ..... "great work in the maul, ex-lucy, excellent play"....

ExHookah
10-12-05, 14:12
Er, thanks for sharing. :(

willsie
11-12-05, 13:12
In the early years (ah, remember them.......) I got both teams out on the pitch and then remembered we had no ball.....

...even worse is getting out on the pitch (with one team already out and ready to KO) and running to the centre, and remembering the other team are still in the changing rooms. I stood there, and stood there, and stood there....

...and then ran back in and got them out.

Put it down to experience...

In AUS we get told to be the last one onto the field so that doesn't happen. One of my mate got marked down on his match for standing and waiting for a team!

willsie

If your feeling quilty about that, i should also be feeling guilty. I have a blue and white one to join with my green and white one. GREAT JERSEYS BUT!!!

willsie
Whilst we are on the topic of embarassing things in refereeing two stories come to mind.
The first was whilst I was touch judging. The referee unfortunately placed himself between the tackler and the tacklee and was sandwiched, with the force of the blow jolting the whistle from his mouth and onto the ground beside him. The ensuing ruck formed over him and play continued as none of the players noticed the referee fall down. All of a sudden I and the entire side line could see an arm reach out the side of the ruck and stretch for the whistle, as one of the crowd members rightfully pointed out 'hands in the ruck ref'.

The second story is one of personal mishap. During a game i turned my ankle, and thinking it wasn't too bad, i tried to run it out. SHORE scored a try and someone ran on with the water. I announced to the two tj's over the mic that 'i was done, and needed replacing'. They then organised a replacement to come on as I continued the came. 5 minutes later a lineout happened, and i went off. The result was two torn ligaments in my ankle, 3 weeks on crutches and strapping for the rest of the season. It's not every day you see the referee get injured, and the players from the two teams let me know it everytime i turn up.

True neither story were the actual fault of the referee, but still humorous!

Simon Griffiths
11-12-05, 14:12
For most members of the forums, my embarassing moment has been summed up by my nickname, 'Noddy'. For newer members, see here (http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268).

pricci
11-12-05, 19:12
Too much information is not required in this instance. Needless to say, piles and white shorts do not mix. No more white shorts for me.

ex-lucy
19-12-05, 19:12
i left my red card in my pitch side bag this Saturday ..... well i was only on for last 10 mins as ref pulled up lame and i thought i wouldnt need it ....

WRONG !!