PDA

View Full Version : Lions Tour DVD

Bryan
21-12-05, 10:12
I just watched the Lions DVD on the tour to NZ, and although not nearly as good as the “Living with Lions” in South Africa a few years back, it was still decent. That being said, there was one part of the DVD that really intrigued me. It involved the psychological preparation for the 1st Test Match. The plan was that as the Lions team line up to watch the Haka, they all stood independently in a semi-circle (apparently this was meant to look like they could stand up invidually, but whatever).

Brian O’Driscoll would be front and center (and therefore out of the semi-circle), and at the end of the Haka as the NZ players jumped up at the end, Brian would reach down, pick up a piece of grass, and throw it in the air. The interesting thing about this was that a Lions coach (or whoever was telling them this) inferred that this was the equivalent of “Pulling the carpet from under them”, or in more modern terms, giving the All Blacks a big “f**k you”. The really interesting thing is that the live commentary from the first match has the commentators explaining that this was a sign of respect and tradition, akin to acknowledging battle with the enemy, whereas 2 mins beforehand you hear one of the Lions coaches say the exact opposite!

This all seems like a lot of crap to me, but I love conspiracy theories, and if someone gave me a big one-fingered salute before a match I may be tempted to, I don’t know, dislocate his shoulder. I’m NOT actually serious about this, but it was one of the really interesting parts of the film. It’s really the Irish team and Josh Lewsey who add all the character to the film- they’re hilarious! (Especially when Donncha O'Callahan tries to buy a one-way ticket to Dublin b/c he’s “had enough and wants to go home!”). Also funny to see was the PhD student from Loughborough who got brought over to test hydration levels in players’ urine for 6 weeks- not a bad summer project if you ask me!

-Bryan

didds
21-12-05, 10:12
Also funny to see was the PhD student from Loughborough who got brought over to test hydration levels in players’ urine for 6 weeks

so somebody really WAS taking the p*ss out of the Lions?

didds2

DJ Jnr
28-12-05, 21:12
The really interesting thing is that the live commentary from the first match has the commentators explaining that this was a sign of respect and tradition, akin to acknowledging battle with the enemy, whereas 2 mins beforehand you hear one of the Lions coaches say the exact opposite!
-Bryan
There is a part of maori tradition that a warrior dance a "dance with a stick"(only thing to discribe it). He places down a gift and the right thing to do is pick it up.................. it's not usually done after a haka.
http://www.hps.com/~tpg/singapore/graphics/nz-maori-haka1.jpg