PDA

View Full Version : Why 40 mins each way?

ex-lucy
21-12-05, 18:12
why was it decided to play 40 mins each way in RU?
soccer has 45 mins each way.
NFL has 15mins quarters.

so why did RU choose 40 mins each way.
I often came off the pitch thinking .... if only we had had anotehr 10 mins or so we could have won that game ...

didds
21-12-05, 19:12
.. along with "another 10 minutes and we would have lost it!"

didds

didds
21-12-05, 19:12
its 40 mins each way presum,ably to ensure rugger players get the ho9t water before the football players get there and use it all up.

one opf the clubs I coach plays adjacent to a football pitch... I notice they kick off quarter oif an hour before we do in order to get into the showers earlier than us!

didds

OB..
21-12-05, 20:12
I don't know why (or when) 40 minutes became the standard. The 1845 Laws contained the following:-
xx. All matches are drawn after five days, but after three if no goal has been kicked.

I believe the first international was 50 minutes each way.

I have always assumed that each sport decided a time limit that would stretch players without breaking them.

didds
22-12-05, 08:12
I have always assumed that each sport decided a time limit that would stretch players without breaking them.

which makes perfect sense.

I guess then hockey is the exception that proves the rule at 35 mins each way for a game that is fairly pedestrian at times (early 1980s press ganged into playing uni 1st XI hockey cos I could also drive a athletic union transit van I played league hockey for the Uni team - the oppo seemed to be made up of blokes well into their 40s! The pace wasn;t ... err... fast. Though it was still played on grass! We drove 2 hours to play a game that lasted just over an hour, showered, had a cup of tea and some sandwichess then drove back again! EWe were at the ground for less time than one leg of the journey!

didds

Glyndwr
22-12-05, 10:12
When I started watching Rugby in the mid-fifties, 35 minutes each way was the normal for top class games; 40 was only for internationals.

ex-lucy
where do these figures come from? who made them up and why?

what if .... we elongated the matches to 60 mins each way? or 30 mins quarters ? we would get more tries ... more fun .. more excitement... rolling subs ... adverts in the quarter time breaks ...

Simon Thomas
Often pre season trials matches are 4 quarters of twenty minutes, which work very well.

Maybe one for the 'pointy heads' at Cambrige Law Lab to try out in some full on competitive matches ?

OB..
22-12-05, 12:12
It is the current fashion at top level to sub most of the front row after 60 minutes on the basis that they are getting tired by then.

The wingers, of course, are only just getting warmed up.

tim White
22-12-05, 13:12
I think the TV audience likes two halves, TV companies would like at least four quarters for more advertisements- this means we will all be doing it soon.
I do appreciate the 1minute break for water during hot weather though. Correspondingly I hate standing around in cold weather for stoppages.

note; I almost always wear a tee-shirt under my ref shirt in UK, sometimes two shirts - I am rarely too hot. I switch to polo shirts for warm weather.:p

Mike Whittaker
22-12-05, 19:12
What next? Referees wearing gloves?!?!? :mad:

ex-lucy
22-12-05, 21:12
good idea Mike. Boxing gloves, you meant?

Deeps
23-12-05, 00:12
what if .... we elongated the matches to 60 mins each way? or 30 mins quarters ? we would get more tries ... more fun .. more excitement... rolling subs ... adverts in the quarter time breaks ...

Some people organise it so that they can referee more than one game in a day. For example, some of our American colleagues are asked to referee up to three games a day on occasion. If you lengthen the time of each game, you will effectively cut down the number of gmes that can be played or have to accept that some will be without a proper referee.

I am of the view that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Robert Burns
23-12-05, 04:12
I am not a fan of training games that play four quarters, The game just seems to either drag on forever or be too short. but never seems about right.

didds
23-12-05, 08:12
I am not a fan of training games that play four quarters, The game just seems to either drag on forever or be too short. but never seems about right.

ahhh... but... training games are for coaches' benefit, not referees' Robert... ;-)

didds

Simon Thomas
23-12-05, 11:12
No game is for the referee's benefit Didds - they are always for the players, and training matches for the coaches of course !
As referees we are there to provide a service to the players / clubs.
If the 'players' (IRB, Unions, Clubs etc) decide they want to play 3 lots of 30min, 4 or 20min or 8 of 10min in the future, it's up to us to deliver against that. However in my experience (and contrary to popular opinion) the IRB, RFU and CBs do pre-consult extensively with the referees and their governing bodies on lots of issues. The Cambridge Law Labs being a classic example.
Likewise if we don't have enough refs to cover all matches then we need to work with clubs / schools etc to get enough refs in the Society, club referees, etc - hence our Society's aggressive recruitment campiagno

Account Deleted
29-12-05, 00:12
Ever since I started to watch, in 1968, it has been 40 mins. here in Wales.

OB..
29-12-05, 02:12
In 1949 the law said 40 minutes each way for Internationals, but for other matches less than 40 minutes could be agreed. This remained the case until the 2000 re-write, when the specific requirement for Internationals was dropped.

My recollection (starting 1949) is that 40 minutes each way was played in senior club matches. There was a clock at Goldington Road that was so marked. On the rare occasions it actually worked, it would start at 40 and count down past zero.