PDA

View Full Version : Law 1

Lee Lifeson-Peart
17-03-09, 13:03
The ground.

Touch in goal. Not exceeding 22m deep/long.

Is there a "not less than" distance? What would constitute too small?:confused:

Does each end have to be the same size? :confused:

Theoretically the posts could only be 400mm higher than the cross bar, but I've never seen such tiny posts so perhaps the in-goal questions are hypothetical and no more.

The biggest in goal I've seen is at Market Rasen & Louth RUFC - we went there with our U13s years ago and it seemed huge - that was in the days before I knew the max distance so I assume it complied.

As you can see I'm bored. Apologies if we've done this before.

Staybound
17-03-09, 13:03
Esher 1st XV has a massive in-goal

OMG did I just say that? What a saddo!!!:Looser:

Pablo
17-03-09, 14:03
Law 1.2(b) says: "The length and breadth of the playing area are to be as near as possible to the dimensions indicated."

Law 1.2(c) says: "The distance from the goal line to the dead ball line should be not less than 10 metres where practicable."

So there's the theoretical minimum, but always with the acknowledgement that it might not be workable (and some of the Premiership grounds - particularly those that ground share with fussball clubs - have in-goals of only 6 or 7 metres). Even Twickenham doesn't have 22 metre deep in-goals. There certainly seems (and rightly so) an unwritten preference to drop a metre or two from the in-goal if necessary, rather than the field of play, thereby keeping the goal lines 100m apart.

As an aside, I vaguely recall a few years ago a Premiership club (Harlequins?) being accused of narrowing their pitch by several metres before playing a club with a noted speedster who would have liked to use the width...

Ian_Cook
As an aside, I vaguely recall a few years ago a Premiership club (Harlequins?) being accused of narrowing their pitch by several metres before playing a club with a noted speedster who would have liked to use the width...

Yep. The league types do it here at Mount Smart stadium prior to RL tests against the Kangaroos, knocking as much as 15m off the width. Of course, conversely, the ARL arrange for their pitch to be as wide as the Rules and the ground allows. Its a bit like your Cricket groundsmen used to do back in the 1980's...prepare a "green-un" for a England v India test and a featherbed for an England v West Indies test. :nono:

Dixie
prepare a "green-un" for a England v India test and a featherbed for an England v West Indies test. :nono:whereas you guys looked at Sir Richard Hadlee and decided he just had to play on whatever surface happened to be there at the time?:wow:

Lee Lifeson-Peart
17-03-09, 15:03
Law 1.2(c) says: "The distance from the goal line to the dead ball line should be not less than 10 metres where practicable."

Missed that - sorry

chopper15
17-03-09, 15:03
Come on, Lee, why wait until you're bored to come up with interesting observations on anomolies, shortcomings, irrelevencies and possible mis interpretations - particularly with the advent of ELVs intro.

You'll probably prompt a more sympathetic hearing and enlightening academic discussion considering the experience and learning available.

Phil E
17-03-09, 20:03
Not exactly connected, but as an interesting aside.
Football pitches have a minimum and maximum size. Our groundsman can mark the pitch short and wide, or long and narrow. With a previous manager it was marked differently every week depending on our tactics agains that weeks oponents.