PDA

View Full Version : is it in touch site link???

ddjamo
06-04-09, 14:04
I cannot find that site that had many scenarios for the ball being in touch, not in touch, etc. had a player jumping, catching, batting the ball...everything.

anyone have that link?

thanks

jamo

TheBFG
Have it saved to Favs!

http://www.rugbyref.com/lbyc/index.htm

ddjamo
cheers bfg

ddjamo
I wish some of them cited law as to why the ball is in touch or not. was debating an issue that I saw in the glo/osp match with a friend and cannot find it in law or on that page - exactly replicated.

man catches ball on the run - in the air...ball seemed to still be in the field of play...catcher leaps as he catches the ball and lands in touch. they award the catcher's side the throw in. maybe I saw it wrong - or bad angle - but wouldn't have have taken the ball into touch by landing in touch with the ball?

Phil E
I wish some of them cited law as to why the ball is in touch or not. was debating an issue that I saw in the glo/osp match with a friend and cannot find it in law or on that page - exactly replicated.

man catches ball on the run - in the air...ball seemed to still be in the field of play...catcher leaps as he catches the ball and lands in touch. they award the catcher's side the throw in. maybe I saw it wrong - or bad angle - but wouldn't have have taken the ball into touch by landing in touch with the ball?

I'm with you on this one. From your description kickers throw in.

He would have needed to be stood in touch and catch it to get the throw in himself.

Simon Thomas
06-04-09, 15:04
I stand to be corrected but I believe the interpretation used is that it is where he lands that matters, and hence completes the catch.

Consistent also with 22m and goal line - it is where feet are on the ground that matters - ball could actually be across plane of 22m / goal, or in this case touch.

chopper15
06-04-09, 15:04

This probably will only confuse the problem but I'll mention it as someone may be able to locate the endless threads we ended up with.:hap:

I kept this on file, because an elite ref. 'clarified' this situation to the contrary for, I think, the World Cup.

Red player punts the ball from outside his own 22m area and the ball crosses the touch-line on the full. An opponent standing in the field-of-play leaps in the air and before he crosses the touch-line slaps the ball back into the field of play. He then lands in touch.

Is the ball in-touch?

NO. The determining factor in whether the ball is in touch is not whether the player was in the air or where he lands. It is simply whether the body was beyond the touch-line when the contact was made.

The ques. remains, all or part of the body.

Phil E
06-04-09, 16:04
I stand to be corrected but I believe the interpretation used is that it is where he lands that matters, and hence completes the catch.

Consistent also with 22m and goal line - it is where feet are on the ground that matters - ball could actually be across plane of 22m / goal, or in this case touch.

The way my mind is thinking. If he is stood with one foot (or more) in touch and catches a ball in flight its his throw. The ball has efectively hit an object in touch (him). Doesn't matter whether the ball crosses the plane or not. This is the same as the 22, goal line scenario you refer to.

However, if he jumps and catches the ball in the air, then it's where he lands that determines touch (story says he caught it in field). If he lands in touch he has taken it in; he has taken it in there as he wasn't in touch until he landed and he took the ball with him, so no different to running into touch with the ball.

Choppers scenario doesn't apply to this one, so why complicate matters?

chopper15
06-04-09, 16:04
Choppers scenario doesn't apply to this one, so why complicate matters?

Sorry, Phil, I was referring to ddjamo's #1 query.

Not so sure if your right about him taking it in should he land in touch.

If caught on the full wouldn't his side get the throw?

Phil E
06-04-09, 17:04
If caught on the full wouldn't his side get the throw?

Why? When he caught it the ball wasn't in touch (in the example). It only went into touch when he landed in touch taking the ball with him. He therefore took the ball into touch.

ddjamo
06-04-09, 17:04
same example...if as he is jumping - he put is foot on the touch line and jumped, caught the ball and landed - both feet in touch...line out to catcher's side - correct?

OB..
07-04-09, 12:04
This whole area is a dog's dinner that urgently needs tidying up, as different countries see it differently.

Here (http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4160)is one view from a RWC ref who set a quiz on the SA referees site a couple of years ago. These days I think you are expected to judge if the player was in touch or not when he caught the ball in the air. How you decide that is up for grabs, but is a split second judgement anyway.

chopper15
07-04-09, 13:04
This whole area is a dog's dinner that urgently needs tidying up, as different countries see it differently.

Here (http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4160)is one view from a RWC ref who set a quiz on the SA referees site a couple of years ago. These days I think you are expected to judge if the player was in touch or not when he caught the ball in the air. How you decide that is up for grabs, but is a split second judgement anyway.

chopper15, you do not have permission to access this page.

Any chance of having a look see. please?:hap:

As was stated in my thread #7 taken from previous discussions, OB;

The determining factor in whether the ball is in touch is not whether the player was in the air or where he lands. It is simply whether the body was beyond the touch-line when the contact was made.

The ques. remains, all or part of the body?

ddjamo
07-04-09, 14:04
is there more to that thread or only one post?

Phil E
07-04-09, 14:04
chopper15, you do not have permission to access this page.

Any chance of having a look see. please?:hap:

As was stated in my thread #7 taken from previous discussions, OB;

The determining factor in whether the ball is in touch is not whether the player was in the air or where he lands. It is simply whether the body was beyond the touch-line when the contact was made.

The ques. remains, all or part of the body?

Depends on a few other things. Did he catch it bat it away? Did the ball cross the plane of touch? Was he standing in touch, or in field (with his body leaning over into touch). It's not as simple as you would like to make it Chopper........I only wish it was:chin:

OB..
07-04-09, 23:04
ddjamo - just the one message in the thread.