PDA

View Full Version : Jumpers thigh grips

Phil E
21-04-09, 13:04
Got a game on 10th May, Warwickshire Vets XV v Warwickshire Referees XV.

Trinity Guild RFC, family fun day, beer, pig roast, Tug-of-War competition, loads of attractions, all proceeds to the air ambulance. Everyone welcome if you are near Warwickshire that Sunday.

I am playing 2nd row. My question is, what is the best way to construct the thigh grips that the jumpers have these days? Last time I played for the refs XV I didn't have any and the front lifter just grabbed my shorts, but I reckon with these grips he could get me a foot higher.

What do they use? How do they get them to stay in position?

Cheers.

TheBFG
21-04-09, 13:04
unless your props are very experienced at current players i'd stick with the shorts for a lift.

Not Kurt Weaver
21-04-09, 14:04
I don't know the finer points of their installation or use, but have seen some that I question their legality under Law 4.

One jumper had white athletic tape 4 or so inches above knee. It then hand padding on the front side (as thick as a graden hose) with more white tape.
Finally wrapped with one round of electric tape (team colors of course). The padding used to prevent hands from slipping up the thigh. Not my game, but I think I would have stopped it on equip inspection. It was definitely greater than 1 cm.

Others I have seen are soft compressible Koaga made wraps, soft, elastic and compressible. Not more than 1/4 thick. Obviously intended to gain an edge. I had no problem with this.
Not sure if anything like this has irb logo.

In both cases, the "additional item" could be justified as support and/or prevent injury. Their intent, however, is obvious.

I know an arguement is coming in the future when I do not allow some form of this on the field.

Has anyone had to deal with this yet?

Staybound
Momentarily forgetting the law.... (BTW, with 16 refs on the pitch who is / are the sole judge of law / fact?).

I have my guys using offcuts of the thick foam tubes you get for insulating pipes. Cut a small strip and tape it on securely. When the lifter places his hands he does so and pushes against the "slightly raised" ridge of the foam.

I would echo the previous post though. You need good lifters to do this properly. You also need pretty good core stability because your centre of gravity is going to be well above their heads. Give it a spin in the warm up and it will be clear quickly if it works or not. To be perfectly honest you'd be better working on the timing and co-ordination of the lift and mobility in the line than just adding another 30-30cm to your jump.

TheBFG
If it’s aesthetics you’re going for and just want to look the part, cause the lazy props won’t get down there to use it anyway, here’s a goodie for you!

Put a layer of 2” zinc oxide tape on first (if you have hairy legs you might want to shave a strip first, or make sure you take it off while you’re still “fired up”), about 4-5” above the knee (the lower the higher the lift, but the less chance of props using it!).

Then get some foam lagging, the stuff you put around your pipes to stop the freezing up in the winter. Cut a piece about 3-4” long, and a bit thicker than your index finger (depends on the size of your thighs) cover this in 1” zinc tape to make it stronger. Now sit this in the middle of the layer of 2” tape that is already on your thigh and cover with at least another 2 layers of the 2” tape. Make sure it’s tight but not too tight you don’t want to cut the circulation off and you still need to be able to run! To top it off you might want to add some insulation tape to stop the zinc from pealing, team colours of course!

Taking it off!..... if you can get a pair of scissors with the blunt ends I suggest you use those, cut down the side until it is loose and then pull, HARD! (this is where the shaving idea wasn’t so bad!:wink: )

Not Kurt Weaver
21-04-09, 15:04
Try a really, really long pair of socks, pull above knees, put a downward facing cuff at top, allow about 4-6 inches of skin to show between shorts and top of socks. Lifters can slide hands into cuff and up you go. Only caveat is increased toe jam.

Completely legal, no questions aked.

Phil E
22-04-09, 09:04
Thanks for the replies folks. On reflection I don't think I'll bother for this one match. Don't much fancy the idea of pulling all the hairs off my legs; although shaving them is strangely attractive :wow: :eek: :wink:

Anyone in the area on Sunday 10th May please pop along and see 30 society refs playing rugby (Warwickshire are out for revenge as we beat them last year), the ref on the day has an unenviable job and will undoubtedly get every decision against us wrong :biggrin:

It's the one day of the year I feel happy to criticise the ref :nono:

Location: Trinity Guild RFC, right next door to Coventry airport, Coventry air museum and Baginton Roman Fort.

Trinity Guild RFC, Rowley Road, Baginton, Warwickshire (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Rowley+Rd,+Baginton,+Warwickshire,+United+Kingdo m&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.826094,56.953125&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FS4nHwMdJk7p_w&split=0&ll=52.371813,-1.482596&spn=0.00997,0.027809&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A)

Lots of attractions for all the family, food, bar, music, charity auction (including signed Lions shirt), tug of war competition (scratch teams on the day welcome), all proceeds to air ambulance which has been called out to some of our society matches on several occasions.

stuart3826
22-04-09, 10:04
Thanks for the replies folks. On reflection I don't think I'll bother for this one match. Don't much fancy the idea of pulling all the hairs off my legs; although shaving them is strangely attractive :wow: :eek: :wink:

Anyone in the area on Sunday 10th May please pop along and see 30 society refs playing rugby (Warwickshire are out for revenge as we beat them last year), the ref on the day has an unenviable job and will undoubtedly get every decision against us wrong :biggrin:

It's the one day of the year I feel happy to criticise the ref :nono:

Location: Trinity Guild RFC, right next door to Coventry airport, Coventry air museum and Baginton Roman Fort.

Trinity Guild RFC, Rowley Road, Baginton, Warwickshire (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Rowley+Rd,+Baginton,+Warwickshire,+United+Kingdo m&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.826094,56.953125&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FS4nHwMdJk7p_w&split=0&ll=52.371813,-1.482596&spn=0.00997,0.027809&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A)

Lots of attractions for all the family, food, bar, music, charity auction (including signed Lions shirt), tug of war competition (scratch teams on the day welcome), all proceeds to air ambulance which has been called out to some of our society matches on several occasions.I would do normally, but it clashes with our Junior Presentation day