PDA

View Full Version : Time Up?

Sportsref
17-05-09, 10:05
One of the coaches at my club asked me about an incident at this year’s Kent 7’s. At the end of a close semi final between Canterbury and Westcombe Park, with Westcombe leading 19-17, Westcombe were awarded a penalty in their own 22. The coach asked “How much time left, ref”? The reply came back, “enough”. The coach enquired “enough for what”? Back came the reply “I don’t have to tell you, check with the Kent Society”. Westcombe kicked to touch and the ref promptly ordered a lineout from which Canterbury scored the winning try.

I must confess, I normally answer questions from players and coaches about the amount of time left, particularly at the end of close games. However, what is the correct and fair response in law? If not in law, what is the standard convention?

Phil E
17-05-09, 11:05
If a team asks me "do we have enough time for a lineout" I never say "yes" or "no" because it depends on how quickly they get to the line of touch.

I just tell them you have 30 seconds, or 1 minute........and counting.

“I don’t have to tell you, check with the Kent Society”.

Bit of a daft statement IMO. "Can you hold the game up while I go and find them please ref?"

Edit: ref Dickie comment, never noticed it was the coach asking. I would ignore the coach.

Dickie E
17-05-09, 12:05
why was the coach asking & not the captain? Was he yelling from the touch line?

Jacko
They should have won their own lineout. Their fault.

andyscott
How longs left, I will answer it once, and to the captain usually, if then I get asked 3 or 4 times in the next ten seconds, I tell them I have told the captain, thats it.

The coach shouldnt need to ask, he should have someone keeping time, dead easy :rolleyes:

ctrainor
17-05-09, 14:05
In the situation described, I would answer a direct question e.g. is there enough time for a line sir, yes or no prior to kick but to the captain not the coach. if he was right next to me however I would be curteous at least.

Donal1988
17-05-09, 17:05
With 5 minutes to go and at the next "down time" i tell both captains "five minutes, let your teams know now" I then remind them that captain is only man I want to hear from.

Never any problems since I started doing that few months ago.

OB..
17-05-09, 17:05
In the situation described, I would answer a direct question e.g. is there enough time for a line sir, yes or no prior to kick
I suggest not doing that, but telling him how much time is left: "15 seconds. Your decision."

Most of the time it will not matter, but if it is close, then it is for them to decide if there is time to kick to touch, not you. Admittedly at low levels you are the only person who knows the official time; if they were slow and time expired, only you would know, so if you had said "Yes", you might feel inclined to allow them some extra time - but why should you?

Davet
17-05-09, 20:05
I like the game- and am almost always reluctant to see it end.

Curiously, though, yseterday was an exception, and I was very pleased when Dupuy kicked it dead and the final whistle blew!

Adam
19-05-09, 13:05
Or if you get players repeatedly asking you how long is left, "get your coach to invest in a stopwatch and I'll keep doing the time on/off signals so you don't have to bother me". Never done it myself but I may do next time!

Dixie
Or if you get players repeatedly asking you how long is left, "get your coach to invest in a stopwatch and I'll keep doing the time on/off signals so you don't have to bother me". Never done it myself but I may do next time!
Sounds longer than saying : 2 minutes

OB..
At one match it quickly became clear that in the last 20 minutes of the game, the fly half asking for the time at a line out was a ploy designed to distract the referee. At the third time of asking, the ball was thrown in short to the front just as the referee answered the question. I could see it did not go anywhere near 5m. The referee stopped play, told the hooker not to throw in while he was talking to the fly-half, and then told the fly half not to keep asking about the time.

Adam
19-05-09, 15:05
At one match it quickly became clear that in the last 20 minutes of the game, the fly half asking for the time at a line out was a ploy designed to distract the referee. At the third time of asking, the ball was thrown in short to the front just as the referee answered the question. I could see it did not go anywhere near 5m. The referee stopped play, told the hooker not to throw in while he was talking to the fly-half, and then told the fly half not to keep asking about the time.

That's one of the only times I would use that line. That, and the constant din every two seconds from almost every player.

dave miller
16-08-09, 23:08
It may well be another urban myth, but back in my playing days (80's & 90's) I was always told never to ask the ref 'How long is left?' as they would not tell you. You were only aloud to ask the ref 'What time is it?', and then work it out for yourself.

gillburt
17-08-09, 00:08
"Is there enough time for a line out, sir?"

"Hmm, let me see. Erm.....[long pause....] ooh! Not any more"

*peep*

:D

Phil E
17-08-09, 11:08
It may well be another urban myth, but back in my playing days (80's & 90's) I was always told never to ask the ref 'How long is left?' as they would not tell you. You were only aloud to ask the ref 'What time is it?', and then work it out for yourself.

"How long left Sir?"

"Half past 5."

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dickie E
17-08-09, 12:08
"How long has it been, Sir?"
"That's rather a personal question"

Davet
17-08-09, 14:08
I would generally respond with what my watch shows. Generally as a call to all - so if one players asks all know the answer, on both teams.

It isn't some state secret, it may be important to the players in terms of match strategy, why be precious about it?

IF they started taking the Micheal, then I would deal with that when and if it arose.

Staybound
17-08-09, 15:08
For the majority of my matches the players are asking because they are just plain knackered. "Are you using a calendar to time this one sir?"

The umpire
17-08-09, 22:08
Ahh, my favourite, I was spectating a lowly nearby league match and it was very cold and very wet. Someone must have asked and been told how long was left, cos all I heard at the touchline was "30 minutes....TO GO?"