PDA

View Full Version : Look at me! I'm famous...

Simon Griffiths
08-03-06, 19:03
Well, a slight exagerration on my part! An article and three photos from our annual society dinner (which was last Friday) have been published in our local rag today. A good night had by all (I presume all anyway), and I only just recovered for my match on Saturday afternoon!

Anyway, to the photos. There is one of me with my award this year (Clive Annetts Trophy - essentially Clubman of the Year), my dad is also on the photo (as he helps out with the society newsletter - the main reason I can think of for the award). Absolutely hilarious! He's taken a ribbing over it! He looks like he's just been dug up from a grave, or else he's an actor playing Frankenstein. :D

It was also good to see Ed McWalter win the Ray Arnold Trophy (the second year in a row it's gone to a 17 year old!).

Any other societies had their dinners yet? Or are they more sensibly positioned at the end of the season...

Bryan
08-03-06, 20:03
I was down in the Borders for the Borders' Society Dinner back in December. Jim Telfer was there (hands the size of baseball gloves) as well as David Changleng, though none of them were speaking. Couldn't remember the speakers' names, though there were a few past international referees (now in their 60s-70s) who were hilarious. I managed to win a Heineken Cup referee jersey, which I then had Jim Fleming sign. The rest of the night was a blur- I was an invited guest from the Aberdeen Society and hence food (and lots of drink) was paid for. My host, Colin Henderson, managed to keep my pint of Guinness always half-full (or half-empty).

The Aberdeen Society Dinner was last week- speakers were Jim Fleming and Iain Heard. Low-key affair (only around 40 of us) due to the bad weather up here, but everyone had a good time overall, and the dinner was attended by several coaches and players as well so that was fun.

Luckily I wasn't refereeing the day after either dinner so only had to worry about curing my hangover with a full Scottish breakfast, black pudding 'n all. Glad to hear the GLAD refs had a good night out as well. Well done on Clubman of the Year. This sounds like you're the referee that gets the most pissed in the post-match event, and no doubt you would've had a lot of challengers in the West Country.

-Bryan

ExHookah
08-03-06, 21:03
Where are the weblinks then Mr Griffiths?

On another note, my mate Rob Famigletti is coming over on exchange to your neck of the woods in a few weeks time. Make sure that whoever is hosting him has a strong tolerance for booze. Rob (or Fami as he likes to be known) is a big bugger and he drinks like a fish.

Simon Griffiths
08-03-06, 22:03
Here's a link (http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=138492&command=displayContent&sourceNode=138485&contentPK=14142860&folderPk=80422) to the article (but no pics).

We'll look after the exchange guys don't you worry - and I don't think that there will be a problem with a tolerance for booze, rugby's rugby around the world!

I may actually be playing in one of Mr Peale's matches. Perhaps someone should be briefed that I (obviously) know the Laws better than anyone else in the world ( :rolleyes: ), and as such at my school I have single handedly been responsible for countless penalties, and a few 10m advances through my vociferous assertion of this fact... (Namely telling the ref - usually a teacher - that they're cr*p and should read a Law book, and then inform them of their mistake, and the actual law... :eek: ).

I also notice on our appointments sheet, that we have a Canadian referee making his way over. Of a reasonable standard, as he's been given a L7 cup game. (Joyce Henry ring a bell Bryan?).

Bryan
08-03-06, 22:03
Joyce is a well respected referee over here. Joyce recently refereed Canada U17 v. England U17 last week in British Columbia Here's a photo of Joyce during a Rugby Canada Super League match last summer
http://www.eorurugby.com/photos/gal/week_8/JP6D3300.jpg

*HE* you say? As they say, don't assume, it makes an A$$ out of U and ME! ;)

That being said, out on the pitch all I see is a competent referee. She should have no problems in a Level 7 match.

-Bryan

Simon Griffiths
29-03-06, 19:03
Well, just got back from watching Joyce - or rather the second half of her Cup match. To be honest though, spent too long either chin wagging, being part of a team insulting Chris White for not keeping up with play (he was TJing) or being director of camcorder. So I didn't actually see too much of the match itself (about 30 seconds at my reckoning :rolleyes: ). It sounded like she had a good one, the usual complaints, but generally very positive.

Also, following my success in landing one of the refs from Trinidad with a game of my choosing, I've managed the same with Joyce. The School v Old Boys match, which I'll be playing in, on Friday (under flood-lights), which can usually be quite tricky. This one should be quite good. The Old Boys team are flying high in their league (same league as one of the teams in today's cup match), and the school have a 'beast' of a front row, and international and county players outside (and me).

Robert Burns
29-03-06, 20:03
I have a feeling I might need to come and watch that game Simon, something tells me I am going to be free that day and in the area.

what?????

Brian Ravenhill
30-03-06, 12:03
The school vs the old boys games aren't as good fun as they used to be. Since the change in legislation preventing age group sides playing against an adult side the game has lost of its meaning.

I can remember watching the games as my father would be playing for the old boys side. In the teams would have been Charlie Hannaford, Peter Butler both ex England, along with a hole host of Gloucester players who had attended the school. The game was played to reward the school boys who at that time had given up most Saturday mornings to travel the South West of England to play for there school, rather than stock shelves at Sainsbury's as many do now.

Robert Burns
30-03-06, 12:03
Yeah, we used to have that in cadets, wing team used to play wing staff. was always a great game!

Simon Griffiths
30-03-06, 15:03
Ah, the days of Butler and Co. (sat next to him at the Old Cryptians dinner this year - I was one of the customary sixth formers in attendance).

They're still a good laugh though. Anyone in the school (17+) can play, so that's basically the school's 1st XV anyway. A couple of the staff tend to represent the school too. The school haven't lost a game since I started going to the matches (that's about four in a row now). We also tend to have one or two pupils who left the year before playing, one playing this year was in the Gloucester A match on Monday, plus two (fast) county wingers, so we've got a quick back-line. So in all, there are about 10 school players, a couple of staff and a few from last year starting, with plenty more school players on the bench. The old boys even put out a full strength 1st XV last year in an attempt to stop the rot!

Sadly Brian is right though, too many players are stacking shelves (luckily they are sensible enough for it to only clash with training and not matches!). I of course, attend all matches and training...

Robert, assuming you're serious (I can't decipher the 'what' at the end of your message), you would of course be welcome. Plenty of drinking pre-, during-, and post-match (and that's just those of us that are playing! :D ).

Robert Burns
30-03-06, 15:03
Shame it's not next Friday as I am in Chipenham on Thursday, I would be honoured to meet and drink with such a well respected Referee.

(and of course you as well Simon) :)

Take your camera though so we can put some more pictures up, and also please introduce her to rugbyrefs.com.

Simon Griffiths
30-03-06, 21:03
On another note, my mate Rob Famigletti is coming over on exchange to your neck of the woods in a few weeks time. Make sure that whoever is hosting him has a strong tolerance for booze. Rob (or Fami as he likes to be known) is a big bugger and he drinks like a fish.
I'm likely to be watching Rob on Saturday, his first game. Mine was called off, so I asked not to be re-appointed if possible (wasn't a problem this week - no unappointed games!). Then, Sunday morning it's off to watch Jim in an U13 match. On Wednesday I'm TJing for Mike in the Cup (his match was called off, so he's refereeing what was supposed to be mine, so I'm TJing). Thursday is the obligitory curry night, then on Saturday I may well watch Mike's match. Then it's out on the town Saturday night with Biggsy leading the way. (Hopefully I'll be in a position to wake up at 4am the next morning, I'm flying to Geneva at 7am! :eek: ).

It's actually the first time that I've been here for (essentially) the entirity of the NE guys' stay. Luckily, I'm not going to the school ski trip on the coach (I'm flying out!), otherwise I'd be leaving Saturday evening (no trip to town!), all I have to do is stick my kit on the coach, wave everyone off and then get wasted, have a kip and then travel to Bristol airport with nothing but hand-luggage!

Robert Burns
31-03-06, 12:03
Well then makesure someone gets some more picturesd and introduces them all to RugbyRefs.com.

lol

Brian Ravenhill
31-03-06, 12:03
Two of the New England guys are due to TJ for me on Tuesday, with me reciprocating on the Wednesday. Simon I'm at Old Cents bring your Camera.

ExHookah
31-03-06, 13:03
Rob and Mike are both in their 30's, and enjoy a couple of beverages, Jim is a little older (I have not met him), but from what I understand he still has some tricks up his sleeve. So they should all be good value in the non match activities. Make sure there's plenty of stonrg curry for Rob, he's a big fella with a large appetite.

All of them will be keen to learn as much as possible from the trip, so load them up with as much info as you can, the effects will filter through to all of us when they return.

jboulet4648
31-03-06, 16:03
Make sure you refer to Rob Famiglietti as Double Cheese....he likes being called that!

Simon Griffiths
01-04-06, 10:04
Sadly I'm not going to get to watch Rob today - he's over at All Blues which is a hell of a place to get to (it's virtually encircled by bypasses) and I have a distinct lack of transport. I'll have a chat with him on the curry night though, and get some photos etc.

Robert Burns
01-04-06, 20:04
Why don't you get yourself a driving license? I had min 3 months after my 17th birthday!

Simon Griffiths
01-04-06, 21:04
It would be very useful, I admit. But it'd be difficult for me, my parents are both strong advocaters of 21yrs minimum for driving, so were I to learn, it would be akin to becoming a Satanist (or even worse, a Bath fan).

And then my dad has the bloody nerve to complain about driving me everywhere (this is only an occassional complaint mind). We even had to be back by 11pm last Saturday (town with the Trinidad refs) - probably best, they (under the watchful eye of their host) didn't return until 4am!

ExHookah
01-04-06, 23:04
It would be very useful, I admit. But it'd be difficult for me, my parents are both strong advocaters of 21yrs minimum for driving, so were I to learn, it would be akin to becoming a Satanist (or even worse, a Bath fan).

And then my dad has the bloody nerve to complain about driving me everywhere (this is only an occassional complaint mind). We even had to be back by 11pm last Saturday (town with the Trinidad refs) - probably best, they (under the watchful eye of their host) didn't return until 4am!

I think your Dad is missing out on the potential designated driver possibilities. Stick L plates on the car and he can accompany you to the matches and then get stuck in the club bar, and you can drive home.

OB..
02-04-06, 00:04
I think your Dad is missing out on the potential designated driver possibilities. Stick L plates on the car and he can accompany you to the matches and then get stuck in the club bar, and you can drive home.I seem to recall that it is an offence to be drunk if you are looking after a learner driver. You are supposed to be fit to take over if necessary.

Jacko
02-04-06, 01:04
An expert on all kind of laws it would seem!! Quite right tho, he would need to be sober.