PDA

View Full Version : Opp. thrower position 'Fixed' ?

chopper15
02-08-09, 17:08
Experimental Law Variations 7 & 8 Law 19 - Touch and Lineout

The receiver at the lineout must be 2 metres away from the lineout.

The player who is in opposition to the player throwing in the ball must stand in the area between the 5-metre line and the touch line but must be 2 metres away from the 5-metre line.

Law 19.7 (e) Where the receiver must stand. The receiver must stand at least two metres towards that player’s goal line from that player’s team-mates who are lineout players and between five and fifteen metres from the touch line.

Law 19.7 (f) Player between touch and five metres. The team not throwing in must have a player standing between the touch line and the 5-metre line on that team’s side of the line of touch when the lineout is formed. That player must stand at least two metres from the five metres line.

2009 LoG and Law Amendments Explained

If a team has a receiver that player must stand at least 2 metres from players of his/her own side in the lineout

There must be a player in opposition to the player throwing in at the lineout and that player must stand 2 metres from the line of touch and the 5 metres line.

Law 19.7 (i) Where the receiver must stand. The receiver must stand at least two metres towards that player’s goal line from that player’s team-mates who are lineout players and between five and fifteen metres from the touchline until the lineout begins.

Law 19.7 (j) Player between touch and five metres. The team not throwing in must have a player standing between the touchline and the 5-metre line on that team’s side of the line of touch when the lineout is formed. That player must stand two metres from the line of touch and two metres from the five metres line.

Cannot recall having seen this ‘fixed’ position ever experimented with on the field or any discussions about it.

In fact, I’m sure there was even official IRB clarification late in the trial period confirming that the opp. thrower couldn’t go back further than his 10m line, or try-line if it was nearer.

Were you and clubs etc. ever notified of the change to that experimental law, or would the IRB have considered the change as too insignificant to bother with?

Donal1988
02-08-09, 17:08
Chopper how do you change your name?

OB..
02-08-09, 19:08
The decision in ELV Ruling 3 of 2008 was:

The Designated Members have ruled that 19.7 (f) states that there must be a
player in opposition to the player throwing in the ball who must be between the
touchline and the 5 metre line and that player must be at least 2 metres from
the 5 metre line. The provision 19.7 (f) is in addition to 19.7 (a) and (b).

The ruling was to confirm that you really did need to put in an immediate opponent to the thrower, rather than addressing precisely where he should stand, but I take your point.

Maybe it will come up at our first meeting later this month. So far we have had no official information.

Dixie
02-08-09, 20:08
Good spot, Chopper! This is clearly deliberate, as the picture illustrating Law 19.8 (not 19.7 - at least, not in my electronic copy) shows the fixed position. I wonder how many coaches have communicated that in pre-season training so far!