PDA

View Full Version : To be . . .or not to be?

chopper15
07-08-09, 20:08
2009 Law Amendments Explained

Quick Throw in (Global ELV). At a quick throw the ball can be thrown straight or towards the thrower’s goal line providing it crosses the five metre line and this is shown in a diagram on page 115 of the Law Book.

19.2 (e) At a quick throw-in, if the player throws the ball in the direction of the opposition’s goal line or if (and?) the ball does not travel at least five metres to the five metres line along or behind the line of touch before it touches the ground or a player, or if the player steps into the field of play when the ball is thrown, then the quick throw-in is disallowed.

2009 Laws of the Game.

19.2 (e) At a quick throw-in,

if the player throws the ball in the direction of the opposition’s goal line

or if the ball does not travel at least five metres to the five metres line along or behind the line of touch before it touches the ground or a player,

or if the player steps into the field of play when the ball is thrown,

then the quick throw-in is disallowed.

Not only does the wording of this 2009 law ignore the ELV’s requirement that a quick throw back as with a straight throw, must also (reach or?) cross the 5m line, but it also disallows that throw completely.

I would’ve expected the law to have read something like,

19.2 (e) At a quick throw-in the ball can be thrown straight or towards the thrower’s goal line.

If the ball does not travel at least to the five metres line before it touches the ground or a player, or if the player steps into the field of play when the ball is thrown, then the quick throw-in is disallowed.

The accompanying diagram doesn’t help much either. It gives two throw examples, both beyond the 15m line and ignores the pertinent 5m throws.

Surely the IRB editors haven’t had a change of mind at the last minute without telling you? Ref. ‘fixing’ position of opp. thrower.

PS. Would the IRB consider this much too insignificant to warrant official clarification . . . or even an apology?

Phil E
07-08-09, 21:08
I have no idea what you are going on about, it all seems perfectly clear to me.

FlipFlop
07-08-09, 21:08
Don't know where you got your laws from Chopper but from the IRB law book, and in agreement with my law book:

e) At a quick throw-in, if the player throws the ball in the direction of the opposition’s goal line or if the ball does not travel at least five metres to the five metres line along or behind the line of touch before it touches the ground or a player, or if the player steps into the field of play when the ball is thrown, then the quick throw-in is disallowed. The opposing team chooses to throw in at either a lineout where the quick throw-in was attempted, or a scrum on the15-metre line at that place. If they too throw in the ball incorrectly at the lineout, a scrum is formed on the 15-metre line. The team that first threw in the ball throws in the ball at the scrum.

OB..
08-08-09, 00:08
Chopper - 19.2 (f) takes care of the throw back towards one's own goal line , if that is what you were querying.

Davet
08-08-09, 13:08
When I read Chopper post it made sense - but only if instead of OPPOSITION's goal line you read it as OWN goal line. He seems under the impression that the first bit is talking about the throw back wards - hence his idea that it should say AND rather than OR.

In fact what the law says, paraphrased, is:-

If the player throws forward, or the ball fails to cross the 5m line, or the player puts a foot in play; then the throw is disallowed.