PDA

View Full Version : Correct attire

oxped
22-03-06, 21:03
Hi all,

I was talking to someone the other day who insisted that referees should always wear jacket and tie when arriving at the club and post match as well.

It was argued that if you don't none of the players will have any faith in you to be any good.

I can't see it stated anywhere that you should do this, so out of interest what do you all do??

the ox

ExHookah
I think this is definitely true in most parts of the world.

In the US we normally deal with situtations where we don't have changing facilities on site, so the best way to deal with this is to wear a Society tracksuit before and after.

Which is why I have recently purchased one from my society, having spent the last year wearing a Wellington society tracksuit instead (acquired from the very nice Ian Dallas in Wellington)

jboulet4648
HMMM...Proper Attire... Is This Proper attire for a referee in the middle of a match?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/jboulet4648/P1010582.jpg

Hopefully your sentence in Kangaroo Court will be minimal!

Simon Griffiths
I think our exchange guys from Trinidad would be due for an appearance in front of his lordship too! At least when running touch, the one guy had usual attire plus a coat, an over-coat, a scarf, gloves and a woolly hat! The one who was refereeing was doing admirably in a short sleeve refs shirt (with air vents too! :eek: ). He was slightly cold afterwards, took him about three hours to warm back up!

Welcome oxped. In England it is certainly usual to wear a shirt and tie to matches, though the jacket is up for debate (I wear a society fleece instead). I can see the reasoning that we are supposed to be the cool, calm, unflustered professionals etc. but I really think that its effect on the players will be minimal (half the time I'm changed before I see anyone other than the captain!). At the least I'd try and wear a society polo shirt or the like, so that people/players can see who you are representing.

Bryan
22-03-06, 22:03
Since coming to Scotland it's been shirt, tie, and blazer each weekend but this will change once I head back home. As per Nick's sentiments, I'd show up in a tracksuit beforehand and wear a society polo-shirt to any post-match function. The shirt and tie would be brutal during the summer in hot weather.

Don't feel too bad for Nick. Worse fines would come had he torn the jersey like the poor kid behind him (is that a jersey or a dress?).

Welcome to the forums Oxped.

-Bryan

Robert Burns
23-03-06, 09:03
I agree if you are doing first and second teams, if lower AND non cup game then I will normally wear society polo shirt and a clean smart jeans.

You shouldn't be scruffy, but why should you be done upto the nines for a friendly?

Account Deleted
23-03-06, 11:03
Shirt and society tie. If no changing facilitiy then a society track suit.
Same standards whether it is League or under 8s for me. The youngsters and the sat beer bellies deserve us to give proper regard to them.

OB..
23-03-06, 12:03
You need to create a good impression, and that depends on who you are trying to impress. If they think your dress code is OTT, then you are no better off than turning up in scruff order.

In my neck of the woods, jacket/blazer and tie is common for 1st XVs, so no less should be expected of the referee. As you move down the scale and the age groups, less formality may be appropriate.

However, more important than what you wear is your performance in the first 5 minutes of the match.

ex-lucy
I agree with OB. It's my performance in prematch and first 5 mins that counts more to me (and to the players) than my appearance ....
if i ref 1st xv matches i wear smart clothes, but what exactly depends on which club ... e.g. sometimes blazer and tie, smart pressed chinos, proper shoes etc ... sometimes smart pressed chinos and smart polo shirt with good shoes ... if i am reffing level 9/10 for 3rd xv (and lower) then it would be jeans and rugby shirt .. sorry, but i know most of these guys, having recently played agst them for many years, and they know i dont need any air of officialdom for them to think what they already do about me ...

I havnt done any exchange yet ... but that will be formal attire ..

LeeTowers
From the moment you arrive at a club people i.e. players, club officals, spectators, the groundsman, assessors etc. will be making snap judgements about you. It is important that you give the right first impression because that first impression is often difficult to change. If you create a bad first impression then you are fighting a losing battle before you even blow the first whistle.

OB is right by suggesting that what is most important is those first five (ten) minutes of a game. This is when the referee will look to set the standards for the rest of the game. However, shouldn't you start to set your standards from the moment you arrive at the club? Arrive in smart attire, intoduce yourself to club officals and skippers, be organised, brief all those you need to brief (players, TJ's, physio, ball boys) etc etc.

I would say it is not about trying to impress instead it is about creating a positive first impression!!

Your thoughts?

tim White
23-03-06, 14:03
Be assured that how you dress DOES have an effect on how people treat you, particularly those who do not yet know you. We all play this game at work where many dress according to their rank, use the same logic at rugby.

It may not be fair, it may seem rubbish but it does have an effect and I play along because I know it works to my benefit. those who do not believe it should try it on a new club some time, remember you also have to act the part as well as look it!;)

Davet
I wear shirt and society tie plus chinos & shoes, for league games, merit games and friendlies. Firstly it helps their confidence - no reason why it should but it does - Secondly I always wore club tie when playing so why should I do it differently now? Thirdly why would I want to set a different level of attitude for a 3rd XV friendly than for a 1st XV league game, if I dress differently then what subliminal changes will that make to my attidude? Fourthly - I get instant recognition, rather than being asked if I'm the groundsman.

ExHookah
I wear shirt and society tie plus chinos & shoes, for league games, merit games and friendlies. Firstly it helps their confidence - no reason why it should but it does - Secondly I always wore club tie when playing so why should I do it differently now? Thirdly why would I want to set a different level of attitude for a 3rd XV friendly than for a 1st XV league game, if I dress differently then what subliminal changes will that make to my attidude? Fourthly - I get instant recognition, rather than being asked if I'm the groundsman.

I agree with this attitude. It shows respect for the players. They are going to slug their guts out for 80 minutes, so they would like to do it knowing that the bloke with the whistle hasn't decided that this is "just the 3rdXV" or "just the B team".

I do see Ex-lucy's point also however. He might deal with guys thinking he was above his station if he changes suddenly in their eyes, from big beer swilling prop, to posh ref in a tie. However I've found that the right attire has helped me win respect from my former teammates in matches I've reffed them in. At least right at the start, once the match kicks off it's up to you to keep their confidence by refereeing well.

Pablo
23-03-06, 15:03
Yep - Society tie and Society blazer are de rigueur for any senior game in my neck of the woods. By all means turn up to a junior/student game or a 7s tournament dressed more casually, but not for a 1st XV match. From about level 8 upwards you are being judged from the moment you step into the clubhouse - your behaviour, your demeanour and your attire are all being assessed long before you run out onto the pitch. Dressing smartly not only makes you look professional and confident, it also makes you look like you care about what you're doing - something teams usually appreciate.

Since it can be advantageous to dress smartly and it requires relatively little effort to do so, I do it every time. That's my £0.02.