PDA

View Full Version : Early engage...in scrum ..

ex-lucy
25-03-06, 14:03
blue engage in to a scrum before ref says engage ...

Ref blows a penalty .... 3pts scored ...

Super14 .. ref is Honiss ...

Fed up with watching S14 refs ...

Fabio
25-03-06, 18:03
Ex-lucy, I didn't watch this particular match, but maybe the team was constantly engaging early and the penalty was for repeated infringement?

Deeps
25-03-06, 19:03
Ex-lucy, I didn't watch this particular match, but maybe the team was constantly engaging early and the penalty was for repeated infringement?

It was for repeated infringement but he was taking far too long before calling the 'engage' as if he was trying to make the point that I can keep you in the hold as long as I like. Yes, of course he can but he had no reason to, the scrum half was ready and it looked as if he was just being b****y minded.

speedy
02-04-06, 21:04
Its simple the team engage after the ref says engage....who decides when engagement occurs -the ref therefore if it was a continous offence penalty is a fair one though I would expect a verbal warning of the likely outcome of continual infringement (its good game management!).

SONA
30-04-06, 14:04
Or the expectation at the S14 level is that they know better and were pushing the ref to call it the way they saw fit. Just a thought.

ExHookah
30-04-06, 23:04
Or the expectation at the S14 level is that they know better and were pushing the ref to call it the way they saw fit. Just a thought.

I think that's also likely.

Within the right contexts it can be a useful approach for player management on any level. Award the penalty for whatever the offense was, and look the offending player (normally a scrum half!) in the eye and tell him "I know that you know better than that!".