PDA

View Full Version : Setting for the line-out

SBCornwall
05-10-09, 18:10
Hey all,

I was refereeing on Saturday and both sides were, before their throw, huddling for a few seconds to quickly make their call before executing the line-out. The numbers issue was fine as they stated, but the problems began when both sides were very messy when they entered due to their lines being not straight and both were entering the gap simutaneously. I started to struggle to determine if the throw was straight - so I simply asked them to stop this practice.

Is this the correct thing to do or are we as referees allowed to give them some time to do this? I've done it when I was playing but not sure about how I should manage it.

OB..
05-10-09, 19:10
If they take too long, mention time-wasting.

If they don't form the lineout properly, stop it. ATP.

Dixie
05-10-09, 19:10
straight lines are an obligation. First time you're not happy, reset it. Then start penalising.

Davet
05-10-09, 20:10
Agree - no problem with a brief huddle, if the throwers put in fewer than a full line, then the opposition need time to withdraw players. If not then the throwers have an overlap in the making.

If the huddle results in them straggling up to the line then take a stand and set properly. Single lines, identify receivers (if present) and identify opponent to thrower.

Some sides will want to throw as their line comes up to the mark, if they do it right, and put in a full line with a clear receiver and straight lines then OK, but if they want to use these tactics then it's up to them to get it right. If they can't that's not your problem, it's theirs.

Greg Collins
05-10-09, 22:10
red have the throw, red line is set and waiting for the blue huddle. Can red throw in the ball whilst blue are still cuddling?

The umpire
I think you need two blues to have a line out, on the other hand if you let red do it, blue won't be slow a second time!

SBCornwall
But in theory would the defending side huddle? It may happen, but wouldn't be all that logical.

OB..
06-10-09, 00:10
You do have to allow the defence a reasonable amount of time to get to the lineout, but you do not have to wait until they are fully ready. If you get set up properly first, then go.

chopper15
07-10-09, 17:10
red have the throw, red line is set and waiting for the blue huddle. Can red throw in the ball whilst blue are still cuddling?

Isn't this the opportunity to have a 'fast' throw? Even a QT if they're not making an attempt to get near or into the linel-up?

OB..
07-10-09, 17:10
Isn't this the opportunity to have a 'fast' throw? Even a QT if they're not making an attempt to get near or into the linel-up?
It may well be such an opportunity, not forgetting the various criteria for a QT.

Simon Thomas
07-10-09, 19:10
When reffing I have little patience with pre-lineout huddles.

If they do it once and mess the lineout up (numbers, not a single neat line, general mess, etc) and I am telling the skipper "no more than a second for any pre-huddle or it will be FK for a delayed formation and no doubt the subsequent throw too" - it is usually throwing side that want to huddle.

chopper15
When reffing I have little patience with pre-lineout huddles.

If they do it once and mess the lineout up (numbers, not a single neat line, general mess, etc) and I am telling the skipper "no more than a second for any pre-huddle or it will be FK for a delayed formation and no doubt the subsequent throw too" - it is usually throwing side that want to huddle.

But isn't that ref's interference in not letting the throwing side take a 'Fast' or a QT?

Simon Thomas
A QT option has passed by the time a throwing side pre-lineout huddle starts.

It is the throwing team who have the huddle to discuss numbers and where it is being thrown to, pod settings, plus set the timing of the throw as they arrive then well organised etc whilst defending side are counting numbers, checking who is where etc. So in some ways it is a 'fast throw'.

I am happy with approach to the line-of-touch, huddle chat (one second), form line, ball cocked 1-2 seconds and in.