PDA

View Full Version : Penalty kick from hand goes dead in goal.

taff426
15-10-09, 10:10
Whites are awarded a Penalty 5m outside the 22 they are attacking. They opt to kick to touch. Kicker misplaces the kick and the ball goes dead in goal between the two flags.

I gave the defending team options of a 22 drop out, or a scrum from the place of kick. Right or wrong?:Nerv:

Lee Lifeson-Peart
Whites are awarded a Penalty 5m outside the 22 they are attacking. They opt to kick to touch. Kicker misplaces the kick and the ball goes dead in goal between the two flags.

I gave the defending team options of a 22 drop out, or a scrum from the place of kick. Right or wrong?:Nerv:

Write doh! Wright doh! Correct! :hap:

Or if it's wrong then I do it wrong everytime it happens in my games. :bday:

Does that make sense? :confused:

taff426
Think so Lee :chin:

cheers

Phil E
15-10-09, 11:10
Spot on taff

22.8 BALL KICKED DEAD IN IN-GOAL
If a team kicks the ball through their opponents’ in-goal, into touch-in-goal or on or over the
dead ball line, except by an unsuccessful kick at goal or attempted dropped goal, the
defending team has two choices:
To have a drop-out,
or
To have a scrum at the place where the ball was kicked and they throw in.

taff426
15-10-09, 11:10
Spot on taff

22.8 BALL KICKED DEAD IN IN-GOAL
If a team kicks the ball through their opponents’ in-goal, into touch-in-goal or on or over the
dead ball line, except by an unsuccessful kick at goal or attempted dropped goal, the
defending team has two choices:
To have a drop-out,
or
To have a scrum at the place where the ball was kicked and they throw in.

Thank you Phil, thats where my confusion arose. The "unsuccesful kick at goal", I was for some strange reason confusing this with the kick out of hand, no idea why!!!!:Looser:

Russ W
16-10-09, 18:10

If the ball went over the dead ball line--you made the right call. If the ball came to rest in the in-goal and was made dead there, 22 drop out. I'm not sure what you meant by "dead in goal".

I'm curious about the section heading of 22.8 "22.8 BALL KICKED DEAD IN IN-GOAL". It seems to me "KICKED THROUGH IN-GOAL" would have been better.

OB..
16-10-09, 18:10
I'm curious about the section heading of 22.8 "22.8 BALL KICKED DEAD IN IN-GOAL". It seems to me "KICKED THROUGH IN-GOAL" would have been better.
Kicking the ball into in-goal but not through it does not make it dead.

However that is just the heading. The actual law says "through".

taff426
17-10-09, 08:10
hould have been more clear with my wording:confused: should have been touch in goal