PDA

View Full Version : Sports Massages

Donal1988
21-10-09, 13:10
We had a talk last night at our weekly meeting about the importance of a good warm up, warm down and all that general area. We then had quite an interesting talk from a Neuromusclar and Sports Massage Therapist who was talking about ligament, tendon and muscle injury and the importance to keep our bodies in good shape especially as we get older etc. Anyway long story short all members are entitled to free sports massages and neuromusclar assessments every month. We were all surprised and quite impressed. They simply come to your house by appointment for a 1 hour session. Cost covered by M.A.R. I probably wont avail of it as I am quite young but the older lads were pleased.

Anyone get these regularly. Do you feel its important.

Simon Thomas
21-10-09, 13:10
Good old MAR - you are very lucky. Only at the very top Elite levels do RFU provide such things (and nutrition advice, etc).

Onloy time I had a dedicated physio was doing exchange in Amsterdam - Dutch Premier League University v Amseleeeven (or whatever) - rub down, did warm up, full leg massage, did match, wrm down and full massage again - wonderful !

At Society level we don't even get subsidised physio, let alone sports massage and assessments. Most refs rely on their old club's physio / sports masseur/sse, or friends, or pay for it comercially- I have an old physio friend give my legs a good seeing to once a month for a cash payment.

Often when travelling overseas on business I arrange a massage service, where they will visit you in your hotel room for an hour by appointment, just like yours do at home...........................

Lee Lifeson-Peart
21-10-09, 14:10
Good old MAR - you are very lucky. Only at the very top Elite levels do RFU provide such things (and nutrition advice, etc).

Onloy time I had a dedicated physio was doing exchange in Amsterdam - Dutch Premier League University v Amseleeeven (or whatever) - rub down, did warm up, full leg massage, did match, wrm down and full massage again - wonderful !

At Society level we don't even get subsidised physio, let alone sports massage and assessments. Most refs rely on their old club's physio / sports masseur/sse, or friends, or pay for it comercially- I have an old physio friend give my legs a good seeing to once a month for a cash payment.

Often when travelling overseas on business I arrange a massage service, where they will visit you in your hotel room for an hour by appointment, just like yours do at home...........................

Amstelveen between Schipol and the tarts! - went there on tour last year.

Went for a "massage" later :wink: (Not really if Mrs LL-P reads this! :Nerv: )

I used to try and cadge a massage from lady physios :love: (if one was present with either team) when my achilles was sore. It's better now (unfortunately) :sad:

MAR is very professional in its outlook or do they just need to fill a weekly meeting with something? :wink:

Phil E
21-10-09, 14:10
Been having a sports massage this week at work due to our Physio diagnosing thickening of the Achilies on my left foot/leg.

Absolute bloody agony, while he does it, but feels much better the next day. Helps relax the tendon and muscle and make them more supple. Having another one tomorrow ready for Saturdays game.

OB..
21-10-09, 16:10
Father Williams had a solution:-

You are old," said the youth, "as I mentioned before,
And have grown most uncommonly fat;
Yet you turned a back somersault in at the door -
Pray, what is the reason of that?"

"In my youth," said the sage, as he shook his gray locks,
"I kept all my limbs very supple
By the use of this ointment - one shilling the box -
Allow me to sell you a couple."

DrSTU
21-10-09, 17:10
We had a talk last night at our weekly meeting about the importance of a good warm up, warm down and all that general area. We then had quite an interesting talk from a Neuromusclar and Sports Massage Therapist who was talking about ligament, tendon and muscle injury and the importance to keep our bodies in good shape especially as we get older etc. Anyway long story short all members are entitled to free sports massages and neuromusclar assessments every month. We were all surprised and quite impressed. They simply come to your house by appointment for a 1 hour session. Cost covered by M.A.R. I probably wont avail of it as I am quite young but the older lads were pleased.

Anyone get these regularly. Do you feel its important.

Donal, Absolutely wrong attitude. Get started on them now and stop the injuries before they occur, a tight muscle that my "go" during a game is usually tight before the game and a decent masseuse would spot that and get it sorted.

It's free, use it:)