PDA

View Full Version : Red Card for dangerous play

bruce j-n
19-03-04, 17:03
Be gentle---it is my first post.

On SIRR, there was a point made to the effect that Law 10.4.e states:
<q>All forms of dangerous tackling must be dealt with severely. A player who commits this type of foul <b>must</b> be sent off.</q>

So, then, must I show every high-tackler a red-card? If I only call a penalty, or show a yellow, would not the opposing captain have a valid argument?

Cheers.

SimonSmith
19-03-04, 20:03
Be gentle---it is my first post.

On SIRR, there was a point made to the effect that Law 10.4.e states:
<q>All forms of dangerous tackling must be dealt with severely. A player who commits this type of foul <b>must</b> be sent off.</q>

So, then, must I show every high-tackler a red-card? If I only call a penalty, or show a yellow, would not the opposing captain have a valid argument?

Cheers.
GReat question!

I think that your getout is this paragraph: "The referee decides whether or not a tackle is dangerous. The referee takes into account the circumstances, such as the apparent intentions of the tackler, or the nature of the tackle, or the defenceless position of the player being tackled or knocked over. Any of these may result in serious injury."

I should have been born a lawyer....

1.The laws say that dangerous tackles must be sent off. The law you cite specifies that certain kinds of tackles are "dangerous play."
2. "Dangerous play" is NOT the same as a "dangerous tackle" - the law applies different phraseology.
3. My "get out" interpretation" is that you can judge a tackle to be dangerous play or misconduct, without it necessarily being a dangerous tackle. If you decide that it is a dangerous tackle, then it has to be red, by the law book.

That means that if you're only giving a yellow, you need to make sure that you tell him it's for dangerous play and not a dangerous tackle.

That's my best - sorry!

Deeps
19-03-04, 21:03
There is something instantaneous about whether play or a tackle deserves a red card. It becomes immediately clear that this level of sanction is necessary. Whereas safety is paramount, where tackles have potential to be dangerous there is the need for judgement and Simon has quoted the paragraph that indicates the thought process the referee has to go through when considering action.

At all levels, if some of the tackles are notionally high e.g. one arm over the shoulder, yet do not otherwise cause a problem I may ask players generally to 'watch the high ones please' to show that I am aware of the technical infringement and prepared to escalate my response if so warranted. I may also have a public word with the skipper to back this up. Where a high tackle clearly causes a problem then a penalty will be appropriate of course. It is a potential flash point however and depending on the level of the game, advantage may be possible but then I might call out what the advantage is for to show that I have reacted to the offence and to prevent retaliation. On the few occasions where I have seen a dangerous tackle then the need for a red card has been obvious. I recall one such occasion last season where a defender made no attempt to tackle the ball carrier and just blocked him instead, knocking the ball carrier to the ground.