PDA

View Full Version : Kick-Offs

David Hancock
29-10-09, 23:10
If the ball from a kick off bounces before the 10m line but continues past the 10m line, is this a valid kick and the kicking team can compete for the ball?

OB..
There is no requirement for the kick-off to reach the 10m line while still in the air.

DrSTU
yes. The ball has to travel 10m that is all. Be it in the air or on the ground. Once past 10m the attacking team can compete for the ball.

Dixie
30-10-09, 00:10
This is often poorly refereed in 7's, where the refs have to remember to award a free kick for a not-10 kick-off. I've too often seen a pre-emptive whistle at the bounce, even though the ball then went on to make it beyond the 10m line.

Ian_Cook
30-10-09, 06:10
If the ball from a kick off bounces before the 10m line but continues past the 10m line, is this a valid kick and the kicking team can compete for the ball?

Yes

Also, keep in mind that if the receiving team play the ball before it reaches the 10m line, its game on!!

13.6 KICK-OFF OF UNDER 10 METRES BUT PLAYED BY AN OPPONENT
If the ball does not reach the opponent’s 10-metre line but is first played by an opponent, play continues.

This is often forgotten by both players and rookie referees down in the weeds.

Davet
30-10-09, 14:10
Spot on Ian - and even more likely to cause comment is the fact that should the opponents play the ball and knock on in the process then they do not get an advantage type situation, and thus go back to the short kick - but may well get blown up for the knock-on with scrum put in to the short-kickers.

"wot abart our adavantage for the cr@p kick, sir?"

"you chose to play it! "

Greg Collins
30-10-09, 16:10
Had a horrid one a few sundays. red 10 completely fluffed his kick off, it bounced and bobbled and landed on end about 10cm over the 10m line (where by now I was standing having overtaken the ball) before bouncing back the way it had come. Despite me waving my arms and shouting "Gone 10, Play on" for all I was worth 30 players just stood there, befuddled, while the ball rolled to a halt about 8m from half way.

I counted to five. No one was going to move. I took two steps picked the ball up and passed it back to the 10 and said "Let's do that one again" Turned out after the game that 10 was really a 13 and could not drop kick for love nor money but that is another story. Kids.

ctrainor
30-10-09, 17:10
Before the requirement to drop kick I used to regularly place the ball on the floor and toe end it and try to get a knock-on or bounce back of the opposition especially if they were well drilled at catching kick offs.
Used to confuse the hell out of some teams.
You can still do it with a drop kick but not as effective.