PDA

View Full Version : Referees Kit

Robert Burns
20-03-04, 00:03
We in London have just been issued with our new kit.

Personally it's not the nicest looking in the world and to be honest I prefer last seasons, however, it is sponsored and free so I can't complain to much.

Top is Burgandy with "Cherokke" accross the front and "Designed by Cherokke sold by Tesco" or very smilar on the back both in Black lettering.

Shorts are white with the Tesco logo on them.

Socks are Dark Blue.

Last season in London we had:

Yellow tops (no sponsorship) with black collar.
Black Shorts with society crest in yellow
black socks with yellow tops.

I think it looks very smart.

What does your 'home' kit look like and what was the best looking kit you had?

Account Deleted
21-03-04, 12:03
At my level we only get a yellow (black trim shirt) we provide the rest!

We can't affords all the WRU hangers on and kit!

SimonSmith
22-03-04, 14:03
We get given nothing.

It costy about $35 for a P3 short with society logo. these are the shirts that have vents at the side, designed to keep the referee cool.

It may not be appropriate to the weather in the UK, but when it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity, you're grateful, believe me!

Red Munster
31-05-04, 13:05
We also have to pay for our own gear although it is subsidised.

We are sponsored by Deloitte so that is on the back of the jersey. Canterbury jersey is green with navy narrow hoops across the chest and arms. It has the 3 crowns crest unlike the Munster team who now have the Stag emblem as the 3 crowns crest is not copyrightable.

Navy shorts and green socks. Not the worst looking gear. There is also a red jersey in the event that you clash with the teams.

There is also a navy tracksuit which I don't have yet.

Simon Thomas
14-09-04, 15:09
You London guys have been lucky over the years with full kit, and big sponsers like Evening Standard and now Tesco's.

In Hampshire, we have provided a different colour shirt each season for a number of seasons (emerald green, white, bottle green, red, gold, & light blue) sourced via RFU at Castlecroft ,and the same as lots of other Societies (as London did until recently). These shirts were in-expensive, good quality, and had the Society and sponsors logos embroidered, and came with the RFU English rose on the collar.
It seems now though that the RFU has dropped that old supplier, and there is all sorts of odd Kooga kit being offered by RFU to us - including padded shirts ! Julia Fletcher at Twickenham has done her best but there is no apparent senior interest in what we wear.

Through the generosity of Hampshire's sponsors SERCO we subsidise our shirts at 5 each. With over 100 active referees to kit out, this has been a very efficient method for us, although we have a good stock of XXL in all colours, we have very few L and XL left at all !

Most members wear navy blue or black shorts, and we provide three sock colours (navy, red and bottle green) for them. Most members look very smart, but a few eccentrics do wear odd coloured socks and shorts. Also we gave a blue Pro-Star logo'ed rain top a couple of years ago (very popular), and this year are supplying a green Pro Star tracksuit at a subsidised 15 (thanks SERCO).

I have seen other Societies going with Kukri, Canterbury, Samurai etc - great looking kit, but we just can't afford 70 + for a 2 alternate colour shirts / shorts and socks kit, and our members don't appear to want to pay that - tell me if I am wrong please guys !

It is a a shame the RFU doesn't do the ref's kit of shirts, shorts, socks commercially, including tracksuits, polos, dress shirts, whistles, card wallets, , and even do the embroidery, buying in bulk and get uniformity across all the Federations / Societies - it seems they only care about the Elite and National Panel Officials' kit.

GazMaz
14-09-04, 17:09
Can't tell you how we get the kit sorted but being a new member of EMRURS we get a shirt, two pairs shorts all embroidered, and two pairs of socks.
Shirt is light blue, shorts dark blue, socks dark blue with yellow stripes at top.
No sponsorship on shirts.

I think that if the RFU wants more people playing those people will expect qualified ref's those refs should look the part, both on and off the field, and if it's backed up by the RFU then those people will feel that the organisation has a handle on all aspects of the game.

However I know what its like telling organisations what to do even with items like this. However I'm sure most associations would buy in to using such kit.

But what about the Scots, Welsh, Irish etc, shouldn't it be IRB orientated? :eek:

jerkyboybrit
10-10-07, 17:10
(thanks SERCO).

It is a a shame the RFU doesn't do the ref's kit of shirts, shorts, socks commercially, including tracksuits, polos, dress shirts, whistles, card wallets, , and even do the embroidery, buying in bulk and get uniformity across all the Federations / Societies - it seems they only care about the Elite and National Panel Officials' kit.

The RFU does supply kit (shirts). They invite all refs societies to order shirts in the close season, they work out at about 18 each inc society logo.

My society has ordered Samurai shirts for this season (they haven't arrived yet) they will look really smart.

The best socks, in my opinion, are made by Kipsta, they're self supporting, no tape, ties needed.

ExHookah
10-10-07, 17:10
Our society gives us a new jersey each year, but many of us supplement with additional ones, partly because we're vain buggers! We also get jerseys given to us a lot at tournaments, and some from within our ranks, like Judah, have risen to the level at which they get some very flashy gear.

Greg Collins
10-10-07, 20:10
The shirt is sponsored although the current deal is at an end. It's cotton and thus I only wear it when I have too, like TJ'ing at County U19 games, and prefer the technical fabric i.e. plastic, shirts I bought from Lovell Rugby in the summer.

Socks, Shorts (with badge ) and all other gear has to be paid for.

Dixie
10-10-07, 22:10
Berks provides a kit free of charge - shorts & socks every few years, sponsored jersey every year. Because the sponsorship may not last as long as the foul plastic short-sleeved jersey (has anyone told them it's a winter sport? Give me long-sleeved cotton any day!), we are required to sew on the sponsors' logos, which are on badges such as the scouts might earn.

Simon Thomas
11-10-07, 00:10
jerkboybrit

The RFU do offer Societies a range of kit (shirts, shorts and socks) - all Gilbert branded and until this year a very limited selection, and without embroidery (which is done for all RFU England kit as well by our Society spponsors FXMS.
3 seasons ago RFU had a deal with Kooga for two years and we invested heavily in kit for all the members, only for the switch to be made to Gilbert two seasons ago !
The other problem is that the RFU do not communicate the new offer until late June/ early July, which for most is far to late to get new kit delivered and logo-ed for early August.
Additionally the RFU price is higher than many other suppliers and at 18 you are getting your RFU shirts subsidised by your Society - which I know to be the case as we are in the same Southern Federation and this was discssued at Federation Committee meeting last year, as we were looking at a bulk deal for all four member Societies.
We ordered our Hampshire shirts for the last two years from a local supplier. in the same style so we now have 4 different colour options, and at a lower cost than the RFU kit on offer. We subsidse shirts cost to members at 50% from our sponsorship money.
I was 'kit master' for Hampshire before I became Chairman, and saw all the suppliers five seasons ago (Canterbury, Kooga, Samurai, + more). The slowest delivery, most limited designs and most expensive kit at that time were the RFU. Therefore I made a proposal to the RFU Ref Manager that all Societies should have the same shirts across the country, and even started a serious conversation for many of tens of thousands of pounds with a client of mine, who were already sponsoring Scottish Soccer Refs, Welsh Rugby Refs and Celtic League. Refs. We couldn't do the deal as EDF Cup, Premier League and Heineken Cup have the referee shirt sponsorship as part of the overall competition sponsorship deal and so it excluded the highest commercially beneficial exposure element from the deal and so my client was not interested in just the 5,00 or so English Community Referees, as that limited exposure did not give a return on their investment.
Interesting that your Society has now gone with Samurai.
Totally agree re Kipsta and I have a full gold kit I got in France last season with the best socks ever.

PeterH
11-10-07, 12:10
i am not sure what the policy of Liverpool Soc is on wearing non-issued kit - can't argue really I suppose...

Has anyone seen the Samurai ref shorts for rugby?
With a back pocket :)

On another note - our embroidered shorts last about 10 washes before they start to go grey... any advice :confused: cos you can't dye them as the embroidery is knackered....

Simon Griffiths
Don't wash them. I don't wash any clothes - it's good for the environment, saves money (water bills and persil) and I always appear rugged when I turn up at the match. :eek: :D

Dixie
Don't wash them. I don't wash any clothes - it's good for the environment, saves money (water bills and persil) and I always appear rugged when I turn up at the match. :eek: :D

And as you are preceded by the smell of your kit, they can have your first free drink on the bar waiting for you when you arrive:hap:

SimonSmith
11-10-07, 13:10
Totally agree re Kipsta and I have a full gold kit I got in France last season with the best socks ever.

The resemblance between and Buddha just keeps growing ST!

Greg Collins
11-10-07, 18:10
Berks provides a kit free of charge - shorts & socks every few years, sponsored jersey every year. Because the sponsorship may not last as long as the foul plastic short-sleeved jersey (has anyone told them it's a winter sport? Give me long-sleeved cotton any day!), we are required to sew on the sponsors' logos, which are on badges such as the scouts might earn.

See Dixie another reason to come to Berkshire. I loath long sleeves and loath cotton tops. Give me plastic every day.:wink:

beckett50
11-10-07, 20:10
short-sleeved jersey (has anyone told them it's a winter sport? Give me long-sleeved cotton any day!)

Phil, you should get yourself a Canterbury 'warm' long sleeved base layer for when it does get a little parky. Also helps with wicking away the sweat and stops you cooling down too quickly.

They cost about 20 - 25 from all reputable sports stores, or you can get them from the canterbury website

Dixie
11-10-07, 22:10
As it happens, I have one. Matches last year's blue colour scheme, but will look 'orrible with this year's red number. If I remember correctly some earlier posts from about this time last year, wearing said item might send a Hants assessor apoplectic!

PeterH
11-10-07, 23:10
I have heard our assessors don't like under-shorts... you know - the warm pants type... various brands available but the Skins/Nike type

I get very tight hammies but have never had one go - wondered if they might help but have been told not to try them as I will get pinged...

Dixie
12-10-07, 08:10
Try them and see. If they object, mention just three words: Health and Safety. Seems to work in every other walk of life!

Greg Collins
12-10-07, 10:10
I'm told that wearing base layers top or bottom (and not wearing soc. kit) is frowned upon in our soc. esp. if the sleeves or legs of base layer are visible under kit but all three senior refs I was told to go and 'watch and learn' last season were doing so and it doesn't seem to have stopped them getting L7 and up....

H&S and comfort and ease are more important than corporate image with the proviso that a team-of-three at a representative game or cup game should ideally all dressed the same I suppose.

Rew15
12-10-07, 11:10
This year's London shirt is a lovely lime green one with blue side panels(free) sponsored by Standard Chartered or the alternative sky blue one (chargable).

The ladies get a nice shade of pink which interestingly at the last north meeting about eighteen of the lads put their hand up when asked who'd like one!!:wow: :eek: :wow:

If it's good enough for Stade Francais!!
and at least it wouldn't clash.

Simon Thomas
Guys

I would suggest H&S and comfort / ease of use are equally important with 'looking the part' (corporate image of being a referee, but also of youur own Society - motivational benefits of being part of a peer group, respected group, etc. ).

If you join a Society you arepart of a club and that entails a contract to wear their supplied kit, and abide by the agreed rules and comon practices in such areas, that have come from the Committee and the membership.

As an Assesor I am interested in your refereeing skills, capabilities and potential primarily. However communication and management are part of that skill set, and so how you present yourself, both physically and in communication not just during the match but also pre- and post-game is important in delivering the overall package.

Simon Thomas
This season :
http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/newshirtgreenweb.jpg
http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/newshirtpurpleweb.jpg

Last season
http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/Society_Shop/Images/orange.jpg
http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/Society_Shop/Images/blue.jpg

PeterH
12-10-07, 12:10
I couldn't agree more Simon...
We are all part of a "distributed" team... and need to look the part...

I am more than happy to wear the shirts... it's a good one in our centenary season as a Soc. http://www.refereerugby.co.uk/index.php?p=gallery&folder=16202 we have a bright yellow that is my favourite :) Very few clashes

I mean with regard to under shorts that it seems daft when players are carrying 10lb of additional kit in pads guards and gloves... we aren't allowed to wear a pair of shorts :)

Also - has anyone seen these ref shorts for rugby yet? With back pockets?

SimonSmith
12-10-07, 14:10
The ladies get a nice shade of pink which interestingly at the last north meeting about eighteen of the lads put their hand up when asked who'd like one!!:wow: :eek: :wow:

Rumopr has it Brian Campsall deliberately wore Pink in his early days in Yorks - very distinct, and everyone knew "the ref in pink".

Quite smart when you stop to think about it.

Here's how much kit I get free: Nil.
Oh, no, I lie. I got a MARFU shirt last summer. And that seems to have been an aberration.

beckett50

I can just see Clive Nicholas' roll of the eyes and smirk and Chris Rogers' smiles at that one:)

tim White
Pink, don't knock it guys. I did some sevens in Newcastle last season sponsored by Northern Rock, got some lovely pink shirts. They show up really well and no chance of colour clash. Good conversation point at the start of most games too.:wink:

I'm voting for 'High-viz' yellow for next season.

OB..
12-10-07, 16:10
Pink, don't knock it guys. I did some sevens in Newcastle last season sponsored by Northern Rock, got some lovely pink shirts. They show up really well and no chance of colour clash.
We have a local team that plays in pink.

Greg Collins
Guys

I would suggest H&S and comfort / ease of use are equally important with 'looking the part' (corporate image of being a referee, but also of youur own Society - motivational benefits of being part of a peer group, respected group, etc. ).

If you join a Society you arepart of a club and that entails a contract to wear their supplied kit, and abide by the agreed rules and comon practices in such areas, that have come from the Committee and the membership.

As an Assesor I am interested in your refereeing skills, capabilities and potential primarily. However communication and management are part of that skill set, and so how you present yourself, both physically and in communication not just during the match but also pre- and post-game is important in delivering the overall package.

ST: only a fool, or a relatively unformed newbie like me:eek:, would disagree with the principal of what you are saying; no doubt my original post would have better read "H&S and comfort and ease are more important to me than corporate image" but I concede that your equality argument is an attractive one but not one which wins me over at present.

My society's position on wearing a society shirt at every game is obsured by mixed messages on the issue, and the unavailability of a range of different colours to the new society ref currently reffing three games a week simply compounds the issue. It ain't feasible, in our house anyway :wink: for me to wash a shirt on Saturday night and then get it dry for Sunday morning. Having (had to) invest in a few 'plastic' shirts I'd prefer to get some value from them and they are more comfortable/breathable/shed water better/keep their colour better than the cold clammy cotton nightmares the Society hands out!

Like a dullard I recently asked if it was worth buying an ELRA RFU shirt as a backup to a society one not least because it is an 'official' community referees shirt. The answers I got were mutually exclusive so I'll keep my debit card in my pocket for now

Greg Collins
We have a local team that plays in pink.

when people rip the p*ss from my pink shirt I just say "Stade Francais anyone?"

PeterH
12-10-07, 17:10
hmmm
not the most clash free shirt??

http://www.bristolintramural.co.uk/543.php

Dixie
12-10-07, 19:10
hmmm
not the most clash free shirt??

http://www.bristolintramural.co.uk/543.php

Same shirt as Berkshire's finest are wearing this season

peperami
13-10-07, 13:10
Same shirt as Berkshire's finest are wearing this season

In london we have the ultimate anti clash shirt, for those that don't know we're wearing the fantastic shirts sported at the middlesex 7's and the national school 7's.

They do actually look fairly smart though.

madref
13-10-07, 13:10
Hi

In manchester we are getting 2 shirts, two pairs of socks and one pair of shorts all free for the first time.

But all our old kit has to go to old shirt charity.

We also on soceity appointments wear these shirts, shorts and socks and nothing else, other wise we will be hunted down and shot!

David

PeterH
13-10-07, 16:10
Madref...
Could be tricky on the old feet :)

Jacko
14-10-07, 01:10
In london we have the ultimate anti clash shirt, for those that don't know we're wearing the fantastic shirts sported at the middlesex 7's and the national school 7's.

They do actually look fairly smart though.

I have the NS7s shirt at the bottom of my bag as a get out claude if I get really unlucky and every other shirt clashes in some way. Never had to resort to it yet!

peperami
14-10-07, 14:10
I have the NS7s shirt at the bottom of my bag as a get out claude if I get really unlucky and every other shirt clashes in some way. Never had to resort to it yet!

I have heard rumour that we have a lovely orange number for the ns7 this year if your comming.

Ben

Deeps
15-10-07, 00:10
The RFU does supply kit (shirts). They invite all refs societies to order shirts in the close season, they work out at about 18 each inc society logo.

My society has ordered Samurai shirts for this season (they haven't arrived yet) they will look really smart.

The best socks, in my opinion, are made by Kipsta, they're self supporting, no tape, ties needed.

And why do you suppose Hampshire decided to procure it's own shirts? It's the middle of October for goodness sake. Ours have been with us since mid August.

PeterH
15-10-07, 01:10
I do like the pink one :)

gordonlee71
04-11-07, 10:11
Within ARURS we have too buy our own kit, Red Shorts Yellow shirt. once you have completed 5 games you get a complimentry set of kit, however after 2 seasons still waiting for mine.

Dixie
04-11-07, 19:11
Gosh. You don't get that many games in a season, then.:p