PDA

View Full Version : Rugby rules Quiz - is this completely true?

steve.brand
23-11-09, 08:11
This question is in the quiz. Doesn't the answer depend on whether the ball was first taken/passed back into the Blue 22 by a Blue player?

Question 5 - Type: Scenario Question
Question Reference Number: 293
Blue #14 has one foot inside of Blue's 22 and kicks directly into touch at Gold's 10-meter line. What do you do?

The correct answer is: B.
19.1c : When a defending player gets the ball inside the 22, or that player's in-goal and kicks into touch, the throw-in is where the ball went into touch. The player is inside the 22 if he has one or both feet on or behind the 22-meter line.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
This question is in the quiz. Doesn't the answer depend on whether the ball was first taken/passed back into the Blue 22 by a Blue player?

Question 5 - Type: Scenario Question
Question Reference Number: 293
Blue #14 has one foot inside of Blue's 22 and kicks directly into touch at Gold's 10-meter line. What do you do?

19.1c : When a defending player gets the ball inside the 22, or that player's in-goal and kicks into touch, the throw-in is where the ball went into touch. The player is inside the 22 if he has one or both feet on or behind the 22-meter line.

The Learn Rugby Laws pre-dates ELVs and 2009 LotG book (as older posters know) and I'm not sure if it's been updated.

That could explain some inconsistencies you've spotted - or you may just be wrong!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

steve.brand
Here's the same question - but with the pass back into the 22 clearly stated. I'm sure that the given answer is incorrect. A player cannot kick directly into touch if he or one of his team mates takes the ball back into the 22 prior to the kick.

Question 10 - Type: Scenario Question
Question Reference Number: 294
Blue #12 is just outside of their 22 and passes across the 22-meter line to Blue #14. Blue #14 kicks directly into touch at Gold's 10-meter line. What do you do?

19.1c : When a defending player gets the ball inside the 22, or that player's in-goal and kicks into touch, the throw-in is where the ball went into touch.

Taff
23-11-09, 09:11
Here's the same question - but with the pass back into the 22 clearly stated. I'm sure that the given answer is incorrect. A player cannot kick directly into touch if he or one of his team mates takes the ball back into the 22 prior to the kick.The Learn rugby Laws hasn't been updated as I found out myself a couple of months ago. There's a thread on here somewhere after I started doubting my sanity. :o

Just to clarify a point which for some reason really grates on me (TV commentators say it regularly as well, so you're not alone) but if the ball is taken back into the 22, players can kick to touch if they want - but won't get a "gain in ground" if it went directly to touch.

Players can kick to touch any time they like - the only thing to decide is where does the following lineout take place?

Dixie
23-11-09, 10:11
perhaps it would be as well for an Admin to either disable the quiz, or else to set up an alert warning users that the answers pre-date the law changes.

Any chance of doing a deal with the RFU to use their excellent question bank from ELRA for this (with acknowledgement, of course, and a link to an ELRA application form)?

susan123
21-04-10, 12:04
very useful and nice informative post,.........

OB..
very useful and nice informative post,.........

Spammer alert? Automated registration?
(No spam so far)

Phil E
Susan you little minx, I think your a secret spammer? :norc:

Robbie is in the process of updating the quiz.
I think the last post said he had checked over 400 questions so far.

Davet
21-04-10, 13:04
Robbie is in the process of updating the quiz.
I think the last post said he had checked over 400 questions so far.

But who's going to make sure the answers are correct? :D :D

Robert Burns
21-04-10, 14:04
I'm not up to 293 in the updates yet, 267 currently.

Give me another week and a bit and I should be through the whole lot.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Robert Burns
Susan banned.

Robert Burns
RFU have never been interested in helping independent sites, unfortunately.

Robert Burns
But who's going to make sure the answers are correct? :D :D
Fancy taking all 487 (I think) Questions for me just too make sure?

:wink:

OB..
21-04-10, 16:04

Presumably the number of questions is a variable. Once you have a sizeable starter set, can you not sort out the others off-line, as it were?

Phil E
21-04-10, 16:04
Susan banned.

Awwwwwwww, we were getting on so well. :love:

The umpire
21-04-10, 20:04

You'll never get everyone to agreee on 487 answers!!!

didds
21-04-10, 22:04
You'll never get everyone to agreee on 487 answers!!!

Oh YES we will!

;-)

didds

Robert Burns
21-04-10, 23:04
OB..

Yes, However in the time it takes to search through all the questions to find ones that are wrong, I can quickly amend them, otherwise I would be removing a good 80% of questions that are fine.

Nearly there now.

Drift
22-04-10, 01:04
Rugby rules Quiz - is this completely true?

Bit difficult as we have laws in our game [pendant mode/]

But to answer the question, yeah that's fine as long as it wasn't taken back into the 22

SimonSmith
22-04-10, 02:04
Bit difficult as we have laws in our game [pendant mode/]

But to answer the question, yeah that's fine as long as it wasn't taken back into the 22

When I correct people, I usually go into 'pedant' mode, not wear jewelery :wink: :biggrin:

Drift
22-04-10, 04:04
When I correct people, I usually go into 'pedant' mode, not wear jewelery :wink: :biggrin:

Bugger hahahahaha

Robert Burns
22-04-10, 07:04
Ok,

Stage one of the update is almost complete, it's a change that I have not told you about, but I think you will all appreciate it.

I will unveil it on Monday, however it will only be for users of the forum, as a thank you for your continued support....

Hope you'll like it!

Just for interest what about if we had a selection box to ask if you were a coach, referee or rugby fan? Depending on what you answer is depending on how it words the answers.

Referees and Coaches get the exact Law.
Fans get the Clear English clarity version (Yes I realise that means I'll have to get someone else to write those answers! :rolleyes:)

Phil E
22-04-10, 09:04
I will unveil it on Monday, however it will only be for users of the forum, as a thank you for your continued support....

I'm so excited I might pee :wow:

Dickie E
22-04-10, 10:04
a little bit has already come out :sad:

Robert Burns
23-04-10, 00:04
Should I be introduing the vomit smilie?

:(

Phil E
23-04-10, 10:04
Should I be introduing the vomit smilie?

:(

No; just a spell checker.

Robert Burns
23-04-10, 16:04
Pedant!

:p

Robert Burns
26-04-10, 05:04
Just an update.

LRL coding in ASP is taking longer than expected (Reading it from a book!), but the site should be upto date laws wise at some point this week.

The Surprise for RRF Members should also be available this week. Taking longer due to today being a public holiday in Aus.