PDA

View Full Version : Welcome LRL

Simon Griffiths
11-05-06, 21:05
Hi Guys,

Just to say welcome to the new forum for LearnRugbyLaws.com - kindly being hosted by Robert (who is likewise hosting LRL itself).

Use this forum for anything LRL related, anything which is generally about rugby or refereeing can be posted in the normal RugbyRefs.com forums. So, I expect you to be signing up for RugbyRefs in the near future, and the two sites together should provide a fantastic resource - something that I am proud to be a part of, and also something that Robert has been aiming for since setting up RugbyRefs.

Thanks for using LRL, and join the group here (we're nice, really we are!).

Simon

Simon Griffiths
22-10-06, 20:10
Hi Guys!

I've just been updating the site a little bit - nothing too much. A slight re-shuffle of the menu at the top of the page, plus I've added the 'Become a Ref' page - now no longer under construction!

I'd quite like any comments on the new page (to be found here (http://www.learnrugbylaws.com/becomearef.asp)) - anything that you think might be useful for someone looking into starting refereeing that I haven't covered there.

Many thanks,
Simon :)

mmark
I have been toying with the idea of refereeing for a year or two and now finally find I have lots of time to spare so here goes. I have booked onto a course in November and looking forward to getting at it!
This site (found by accident) doesn't shout up on a search but is really good, best I have found yet!!

Simon Thomas
where in the country are you MMARK ?

Simon Griffiths
Mark, I see that you're Gloucester (I presume the UK one). Did you make it to the society meeting on Tuesday just gone? If not, the next one is November 21st - come along and introduce yourself, the training is always of a good quality, and usually a good laugh too - we often have interruptions from Chris White and the like (who better to interupt?).

You're right about the search though, because it was down whilst I changed it over from the old one the number of hits dropped and the rest is history. Now it's back up it's posting decent figures (still could do a lot better) up around 70,000 per month at the moment. When it's fully finished I'm going to get onto Planet Rugby and the like and try to up the audience.

If I may ask you to, as a new referee, could you consider the Become a Ref page and tell me if there is any info you think would be good for someone in your position that isn't there? Many thanks if you could.

Oh yes! And welcome to RugbyRefs.com too! :)

mmark
Yes I am from Gloucester born and bred and all that stuff. Having looked at the new ref link it mentions the new entry level etc but could do with a link to the IRB site for the course calendar and application form etc?
I didn't get to the meeting I only found out about it this week. I have to say I am keen to get going used to play a lot so it will be nice to get back into it.
The quiz is what got me onto this site tried it to see how much I forgot only getting 65% to 70% at the moment obviously rusty!!
Excellent site though fantastic to be able to talk to refs around the world!!

Simon Griffiths
22-10-06, 22:10
Having looked at the new ref link it mentions the new entry level etc but could do with a link to the IRB site for the course calendar and application form etc?
I have to admit that you've lost me there (but then again I've been up since 3am (was in Dublin for the Leinster match and had to get a very early flight...) If you're on about the page on the LRL site I linked to, the e-mail addresses for each major union are there. However a lot of courses will be run on either a regional level (e.g. in Gloucester that would be SW) or even more local - say just Gloucester & District. The iRB have little to do with the actual delivery of any course in England. You'll want to contact David Payne (davidpayne@rfu.com), our chairman, who will know when the next course is (it's almost certainly going to be an ELRA now). Hope that helps, and hope to see you in November!

Simon Griffiths
Okay, page number two for this evening is now up!

Ref Checklists (http://www.learnrugbylaws.com/refchecklists.asp) - once again, any comments more than welcome (infact the more the merrier, it should be as useful as possible - between LRL and RRF we should get most things covered, with Robert concentrating the RRF side on match management).

mmark
It was the community rugby site I found in a search it lists all of the forthcoming courses as well as details on course content and location plus other "stuff" I downloaded an application form from here too.

http://www.community-rugby.com/communityrugby/index.cfm/Fuseaction/Home.Downloads/StoryTypeId/101/SectionId/622/StoryId/11228.cfm

Not sure if that link will work but its a start maybe. It was one of the first to pop up in a search. keep up the good work with site. Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to meeting you in November.

Robert Burns
26-10-06, 22:10
Simon,

Would be nice if the quiz had a header etc to show where it is, not just a white page of questions.

I could coat it in a nice shade of dark red for you if you like, lol.

Simon Griffiths
26-10-06, 22:10
10 minutes from complaint to solution! Now, any service industries that can match that!? :D

Robert Burns
26-10-06, 23:10
Need a better picture.

Simon Griffiths
Oi! Nowt wrong with that one! :eek:

Robert Burns
mmm, yes there is, It's pants. Need a new picture!

lol, only being honest.

Deeps
27-10-06, 09:10
I'd quite like any comments on the new page ...

Good intro but to nitpick, what's wrong with this phrase? 'As your looking at this page,..'

Robert Burns
you are = you're

What about something like this?

Robert Burns
Ignore colours really they can be changed.

Simon Griffiths
27-10-06, 14:10
It's hard not to ignore the colours! I've just thrown up... :D

It's okay I suppose - but I'm not sure on the look of the 'A's or the long tails. Anything else in your wonderful reserve of graphical works?

Deeps - where are you talking about?

Robert Burns
27-10-06, 18:10
I'll see what I can come up with, If you are interested I paid US$150 for the styling of this site, maybe I could get that person to do you the same deal for LRL?

Simon Griffiths
That would be good if you could have another little dabble thank you.

Regarding the second point. Maybe, but not until I'm in employment - Nationwide's overdraft is tiding me over until the New Year, and I can't strain it too much. (So if any 'RRF'ers have any work going, preferably work that could be done online, I'm available. CV available on request).

Robert Burns
Simon,

Are you happy for me to create a copy of the site and work on a theme for it?

Simon Griffiths
27-10-06, 19:10
You're welcome to have a tinker off-line if you want. Then we can have a look! :) Go for it.