PDA

View Full Version : Squad Numbered Shirts

Simon Thomas
29-06-06, 16:06
iRB regulations mean that all International Teams (Regulation 15.1) and indeed all English clubs in RFU Leagues or Cups (Comps Regulation 16.2 cross-refences to iRB) wear 1-15 from prop to full back.
However is anyone aware of any regulations that prevent Schools, Youth or Mini-Midi teams allocating and wearing squad numbers (a la poof-ball) so they have their own correct sized shirts, sponsored / bought, named, etcs and having to not share a team kit ?
Is anyone actually doing this already ?

outofpuff
15-08-06, 23:08
Can't find anything in the laws that say's shirts must be numbered.
Leicester and Bristol had letters untill Sky realised their commentators could tell who played where.
Many teams in the Midlands wear their own shirt and number.
Much easier to ref than a team with no numbers.

SONA
15-08-06, 23:08
Actually it would improve my ability to ref the game since I have to work on naming the perps who cause the penalty. :)

Player: Ref, who was that penalty on?:confused:

Ref: The guy in the blue shirt.:D

Player: Oh.:(

OB..
16-08-06, 01:08
It's not in the laws.

I believe the IRB has prescribed a standard system for international matches? (That is certainly the case for GP matches.) Even within that there are differences: SA uses 6 for openside and 7 for blindside.

PeterTC
16-08-06, 10:08
I thought it was an RFU Competitions Regulations thing?

Having said that, Haringey play in Roman Numerals (now there's a test for you). As for squad numbers, I think my old school, PGS, possibly has squad numbers now, what with their fancy figure hugging shirts.

Simon Thomas
16-08-06, 12:08
Yes Peter, it is an RFU regualtions thingy and Haringey are in breach of it technically - sssssh don't tell anyone at Twickenham. They will be fast asleep anyway, or staring at life sized pictures of Rob Andrew and Clive Woodward this week.

And yes PGS do seem to have squad numbers and the shirts are indeed very figure hugging !

As for Leicester and Bristol stopping using numbers at 1st XV level this was back in the 1980s and well before Sky TV existed.

I asked the original question as a club who are considering a significant expenditure to cover machs kit, tracksuits and training gear wanted to check they did not contravene any RFU rules, but were worried that asking Twickenham would lead to a ban.

Robert Burns
17-08-06, 15:08
As for Leicester and Bristol stopping using numbers at 1st XV level this was back in the 1980s and well before Sky TV existed.

Disagree with you Simon,

I played for London & South East and we wore letters, I was also in the team when we had to change to numbers because of RFU Regulations, this was the same year Leicester had to change.

I was about 19 at the time, maybe even 20, so that would make it around 1995. Sky were well into their business by that point.

Simon Thomas
17-08-06, 22:08
Fair enough Robert - the older one gets the more time becomes distorted !

I thought it was late 80s but it must have been mid 90s if you have such a specific timeline to recall.

Bryan
18-08-06, 02:08
Robert's right. When I arrived in the UK in '95, Leiceister were still known as "The A-B-C Front Row". This confused the hell out of me when I went to watch Bristol as their Fullback began with A and it went up from there. Then there was that time around 98 or so when Wasps would give arbitrary numbers a la US football, so we had Kenny Logan wearing 34 or something equally stupid.

Robert Burns
18-08-06, 10:08
Disagree with you Simon,

I played for London & South East and we wore letters, I was also in the team when we had to change to numbers because of RFU Regulations, this was the same year Leicester had to change.

I was about 19 at the time, maybe even 20, so that would make it around 1995. Sky were well into their business by that point.
It's about the only thing I remember from my representation years, lol

Simon Thomas
18-08-06, 10:08
Thanks guys - just off for senility test at err, err doctors, health centre, hospital - mmm where was it ?
and what time was it ?

Tibbs
18-08-06, 14:08
And I used to like Bath because they didn't have a 13 shirt (anyone know why?) and the full back wore 16.

Bl**dy Sky, taking all the individuality out of the sport...

Chris

Mike Whittaker
18-08-06, 17:08
The true game of rugby as a sport is now only played below national league level. Above that it is a business which may be entertaining to watch at times but which should not be confused with the former.

'Professional Sport' is an oxymoron for that which in reality is neither in the purest sense...

mbkingsmill
25-08-06, 12:08
Loughborough Rugby Club (Leicestershire) youth section use a squad numbering system for some of their age groups and the main motivation for this has been because of the varying size of some of the lads and the speed at which they grow, meaning that the player buy's and keeps their match shirt and is responsible for cleaning it as well.

Davet
25-08-06, 13:08
I did a game some while ago where Camberly Vets played Basingstoke Vets.

Camberly received the KO, and the player with a G on his shirt caught it then dropped it forward.

"Knock on - Camerley G; scrum down Basingstoke ball" says I blithely.

Then realised that there were only three symbols across all 15 Camberley shirts.

G & T

DJ Jnr
27-12-06, 01:12
And I used to like Bath because they didn't have a 13 shirt (anyone know why?) and the full back wore 16.

Bl**dy Sky, taking all the individuality out of the sport...

Chris

The word is that Bath omitted the #13 jersey, because one of their players was once killed wearing it.:eek: