PDA

View Full Version : Changing Numbers in the Lineout

RussRef
30-03-10, 05:03
Law 19.14(e): "No player of either team participating in the lineout may leave the lineout until it has ended." PK on 15m

Law 19.8(d): "Players of either team must not leave the lineout once they have taken up a position in the lineout until the lineout has ended." FK on 15m

Assuming I can't manage around the situation, what's the sanction when the throwing team drops a player at the last minute?

Casey Bee
Law 19.14(e): "No player of either team participating in the lineout may leave the lineout until it has ended." PK on 15m

Law 19.8(d): "Players of either team must not leave the lineout once they have taken up a position in the lineout until the lineout has ended." FK on 15m

Assuming I can't manage around the situation, what's the sanction when the throwing team drops a player at the last minute?

I think it would be 'technical' and therefore FK.
You don't see this sanctioned very often do you?
On Sat I was watching a game where both sides had 8 man line formed then the throw in side had some 'chat', called 5 man and some of their players retreated. As I watched it occur, I sort of felt it almost deserved a sanction but I'm not sure it would be deemed to be petty? ... that said it could be argued it's delaying the put in...
You can bet your bottom dollar that the throw in team would be moaning like hell for 'numbers in the line sir' if the defence had just one extra man though.

I believe the law does state that throw in team must allow defence team adequate time to get numbers right.

DrSTU

You tell them at the next breakdown that if they are going to play silly buggers at the lineout that you aren't going to bother with numbers. They'll soon sort themselves out.

Davet
30-03-10, 10:03
19.14.e relates to the line out in progress

18.8.d relates to forming the lineout.

On Sat I was watching a game where both sides had 8 man line formed then the throw in side had some 'chat', called 5 man and some of their players retreated. As I watched it occur, I sort of felt it almost deserved a sanction but I'm not sure it would be deemed to be petty? ... that said it could be argued it's delaying the put in...

Call them back - tell them 8 in - they're committed once they approach the line of touch. That's "Tell"

If they continue then we upgrade to sanction - = FK.

If you allowed them to do the Hokey Cokey then the opposition has to be given chance to reduce to match - then what do you do if the original dancers put players back in... just apply Law and all this nonsense disappears.

Tell 'em, then FK 'em.

Stoo48
30-03-10, 11:03
Like the Doc says, tell em not be silly, you have more importaint things to worry about at the LO.

If all else fails tell them to confirm numbers as they join.

Simon Thomas
30-03-10, 14:03
This all comes under your pre line-out throw management.

Prevent long pre-huddles, once the attacking side has set the numbers (I assume all in unless told otherwise as they arrive), they stay in. If they try to leave I would bring them back, and then they get a warning to not do it again. Same as delaying throw, trigger to get early defending jumper up, etc.

Start your management at the first line-out and apply zero-tolerance.

DrSTU has a more relaxed approach which can be effective too.

DrSTU
30-03-10, 15:03
DrSTU has a more relaxed approach which can be effective too.

I spent a long time perfecting the iron fist in a velvet glove style of refereeing, works well for me:)

Simon Thomas
30-03-10, 16:03
With velvet gloves on, you must feel right at home when in SF :wink: