PDA

View Full Version : Double Jumpers

ckuxmann
03-04-10, 23:04
Can a team have two lifted jumpers in the lineout, lifting both at the throw-in?

OB..
03-04-10, 23:04
Why not (as long as it is done safely and at the right time.)?

Dixie
04-04-10, 17:04
Yes. If they can make it work, they can have a maximum of 7, I suspect.

triage
Yes. If they can make it work, they can have a maximum of 7, I suspect.

I was under the impression the maximum was 14 (if you are the throwing in side)...is this not the case?

Rit Hinners
Seven.

You are talking about "lifted players". Each jumper would need a lifter and so seven.

Now, how you can crowd 14 players between the 5 and the 15 and still maintain proper spacing is something that I'll let you work out.

triage
Seven.

You are talking about "lifted players". Each jumper would need a lifter and so seven.

Now, how you can crowd 14 players between the 5 and the 15 and still maintain proper spacing is something that I'll let you work out.

ahh sorry I thought he meant players in the line...i see he meant lifted players :hap: yes I agree about 14 players being in the gap being a mess....but probably still less of a mess than the supposed rucks that happen on tv :)

Dixie
04-04-10, 19:04
Do you have a definition of "proper spacing"? Is there any need for it? I think in the '70's there had to be a 36"-39" gap between the jumpers of your own side, as well as between the teams. That requirement, if I have remembered it correctly, was canned a long time ago.

Rit Hinners
04-04-10, 19:04
No I don't.

As I was a player in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was something we did out of habit. I've not looked to see if that requirement has been rescinded. Just something I'm used to being there I guess.

The umpire
04-04-10, 21:04
I've seen Ireland, I think it was, put 13 into the line before, 1 hooker and 1 scrum-half.

didds
05-04-10, 01:04
Seven.

but there us no designated "proper spacing"between linoeut players of the same side.

so if you can fit 13 players (14?) into 15m metres than that is your prerogative surely?

didds

OB..
06-04-10, 19:04
Do you have a definition of "proper spacing"? Is there any need for it? I think in the '70's there had to be a 36"-39" gap between the jumpers of your own side, as well as between the teams. That requirement, if I have remembered it correctly, was canned a long time ago.

The requirement to have at least a 1 metre gap between players of the same team was removed from the laws in 1992.

Phil E
06-04-10, 21:04
The requirement to have at least a 1 metre gap between players of the same team was removed from the laws in 1992.

Am I right in thinking that the gap was when we had to jump on our own (when it was worth being tall) and it was removed when lifting......er sorry........supporting was allowed.

Drift
07-04-10, 00:04
Seven.

The Lions in the Super 14 this year usually stack about 10 in the lineout when they are 5m out and then use a very good driving maul. It's always odd seeing centres and wingers in a lineout though

OB..
07-04-10, 10:04
Am I right in thinking that the gap was when we had to jump on our own (when it was worth being tall) and it was removed when lifting......er sorry........supporting was allowed.

No, supporting dates from 1995.